Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Dion wants safe injection sites expanded to more cities... Reply with quote

http://www.theglobeandmail.com...../Politics/

Could this be a dividing issue that would give Conservatives CITY VOTES? Even in Toronto??

I don't want a "safe injection site" in MY city!!
Louise M.

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO doing drugs "safely" is not high on the average Canadians' agenda. The Conservatives should denounce the spread of safe injection sites.
peter_puck

Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: As much as I hate drugs... Reply with quote

Quote:

Could this be a dividing issue that would give Conservatives CITY VOTES? Even in Toronto??

I don't want a "safe injection site" in MY city!!

As much as I used to support a hard line on drugs, at some point we have to realize that the war on drugs is a miserable failure. Dirty needles have killed way more people than drug overdoses. These diseases have then spread to others in the population. Not to mention the huge medical costs of treating an AIDS pateint.

While I certainly would not want a "safe injection" site next door, I would not mind one in my city.
Now, safe injection sites would be put in the lower income city core (right next to the unsafe injection sites). That may split the conservative vote in that part of the city, but the chance of winning an inner city poor riding is zero anyway.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dirty needles have killed way more people than drug overdoses. These diseases have then spread to others in the population.

Instead of safe injection sites in cities, why don't we create a safe injection city, say on Baffin Island. Ship all the druggies there and air drop smack, crack, or whatever,with all the clean needles they need.

Is there any greater waste of air than a drug addict.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a middle grounder. LOL!

While I hear your frustration and SHARE in it, I do have some compassion for misguided teens who fall into the wrong group of kids and cave to peer pressure.

But in the same breath, there's nothing SAFE about taking drugs any way you slice it.

If SOMETHING had to be done, I'd put money into a program that DETOXES these people and ensures they don't go back to their destructive patterns once they leave. Heck, even lure them in with the promise of ONE free fix but you then have to stay locked in for a month or two months in a detox program. Break the cycle.

I had a highschool friend who I always looked up to. Smarter than me and all that (so I thought). I moved on and got my Ph.D. and now I'm "doing well", so to speak...

My friend, when he finished Highschool, decided he wanted to "see Canada". Mind you, this guy NEVER even drank. Clean as a whistle. He hitchhiked from the Ottawa area all the way to Victoria/Vancouver, where he stayed and found work for a summer. He fell into the wrong crowd there.... and got hooked on heroin (really NAIVE guy. take my word for it).

It took him a good 5 or 6 years to break that cycle, get clean and now he's joined the military and is serving us proudly in Afghanistan...

It's personal stories like that, that make me have a more compassionate angle on drug abuse.

That's why I'm of the school of thought to SEVERELY punish the CHEMISTS, and DEALERS for sentences similar to murder (because you are basically taking the lives away from people). Get the drugs and dealers off the streets first. That should be the focus.
Ardvark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe injection sites in Canada violate UN agreements/treaties that Canada is a signatory of.

United Nations The UN's drug control agency is to warn Tony Clement, the Health Minister, that Canada is flouting international drug control treaties by enabling illicit drug use at a safe injection site in Vancouver and through drug-paraphernalia giveaways elsewhere.

Mr. Clement will be urged to shut down the initiatives, which the agency says effectively condone the use of drugs that Canada has agreed in an international forum are banned without a prescription......
"In a way [Canada] is encouraging illicit trafficking," Zhu Li-Qin, chief of the Convention Evaluation Section of the UN's International Narcotics Control Board (INCB), said from the agency's headquarters in Vienna.

And here I thought Dion was big on UN treaties and agreements. I guess not.

Last edited by Ardvark on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't he? Do you think junkies vote CPC?
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardvark Canada pays attention to the UN only when it helps her.

We ignore them all the time when we disagree with them.

What are they going to do? Invade with the army they dont have? Raise the taxes we dont give them?

And yeah, homeless shelters and injection sites always sound like a great idea over there.

But we all know its not going in Dion's hood!

If he proposed opening one in the riding he represents, and maybe we ship some of our druggies from Toronto to Quebec, then Im all in favour boys.

Jump to: