Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeb Bush's name has also popped up in VP talk. I don't think many people know much about him though.
peter_puck

Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6Reputation: 6.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
Depends who McCain picks as a running mate. I've heard Condoleza Rice mentioned
Quote:

I have not heard that. It would be a really bold choice. If Obama looses, she might be able to siphon some black votes. If Hilary looses. Rice she might take some votes from women.

Huckabee might rally the base, but he might turn away some middle of the road voters (I really wish he backed off of those AIDS comments).
Besides, the two Democratic contenders should be able to rally the Republican base all on their own. Hilary is annoying and Obama, while personable, may be one of the most libral politicians in the US.

FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been suggested that McCain might not even touch the VP issue until after he wins the primary - as Huckabee might make an excellent running mate to draw some conservatives who would otherwise stay home.

Quote:
Doesn't the "Base" vote in the primaries? If the base really didn't want a particular candidate, wouldn't their numbers be sufficient to ensure said candidate doesn't win? I mean, these are party members voting, and by definition arn't the declared Republicans in fact the base?

Actually, many of the contests were and are 'open' primaries where anyone who wishes to vote in it can. And enough of those were 'winner take all' states, meaning the plurality candidate got all the delegates.

Thus, Romney lead among self-declared conservatives, but often lost to McCain's combined chunk of conservatives and most independants and moderates. Were it not for Huckabee and Thompson, I think Romney would have won some of the earlier contests and established himself as 'the' conservative candidate going in to Super Tuesday, which would have resulted in a much closer race.
JBG

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Thus, Romney lead among self-declared conservatives, but often lost to McCain's combined chunk of conservatives and most independants and moderates. Were it not for Huckabee and Thompson, I think Romney would have won some of the earlier contests and established himself as 'the' conservative candidate going in to Super Tuesday, which would have resulted in a much closer race.
I fear, unfortunately, that some of the worst in America reared its heads re: Romney. I think his being a Mormon was not understood by many and was scary, though I see nothing in Mormonism that is not consistent with being a great American.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: