Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always surprised by how Canadian conservatives get wound up over American politics.

Am I the odd one here for not really caring?
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think that I don't get wound-up, so much as keenly interested. In my opinion, watching Canadian politics without watching American politics is like skipping every fourth page in a novel.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't care right now. When they have the Presidential candidates picked it will interest me. Especially if we have Billary to hate on!
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
I'm always surprised by how Canadian conservatives get wound up over American politics.

I don't know if your the odd man out or not, but I would think it foolish not to be interested in who and what policies will be effecting our closest neighbor and trading partner. Our economy is pretty dependent on the Billions of dollars they float our way every month in trade.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah come on. It is the ultimate in reality television. With the writers on strike it is the best show on (except for hockey and UFC).
JBG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I'd like to think that I don't get wound-up, so much as keenly interested. In my opinion, watching Canadian politics without watching American politics is like skipping every fourth page in a novel.
Which is one reason why I watch Canadian politics even though I know nothing about Canada itself.
JBG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I can't say I'm terribly happy about this... Winston made some great contributions to the board on other topics. His 'losertarian' comments never really annoyed me, mostly because I'm not sure that he really understood libertarianism (not that I do...).
The insulting manner in which he made those remarks is the problem. On the substance I think he's correct, especially since the country in which Ron Paul is running has far greater protections for liberty than virtually any other country, i.e. a close to absolute First Amendment, without the "limitations clause", etc.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if your the odd man out or not, but I would think it foolish not to be interested in who and what policies will be effecting our closest neighbor and trading partner. Our economy is pretty dependent on the Billions of dollars they float our way every month in trade.

I don't ignore the situation in the States, I just don't follow it as closely as others do.

Personally, I think the missing every 4th page comment is overstating it. IMO, whichever party is in power in the USA, neither of them are very far apart when it comes to actual governing.

They like to talk the talk, but when it comes to actual governing reality kicks in which is why you had Clinton slashing welfare and refusing to sign Kyoto and Bush with deficit spending.
JBG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
They like to talk the talk, but when it comes to actual governing reality kicks in which is why you had Clinton slashing welfare and refusing to sign Kyoto and Bush with deficit spending.
Clinton was a bit of a special case. He ran on a promise to "end welfare as we know it" and he felt compellled to keep that and other centrist/conservative promises. As far as deficits go, Bush was/is a wartime President. Deficits, and big ones, are endemic to time of war. Also, aside from GWHB's disastrous term, Republicans have never really been big on fiscal conservatism. Just ask Herbert Hoover about that.
mltoryblue

Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBG wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:
Clinton was a bit of a special case. He ran on a promise to "end welfare as we know it" and he felt compellled to keep that and other centrist/conservative promises. As far as deficits go, Bush was/is a wartime President. Deficits, and big ones, are endemic to time of war. Also, aside from GWHB's disastrous term, Republicans have never really been big on fiscal conservatism. Just ask Herbert Hoover about that.

You hit the nail right on the head!

When I talk to my Rebulican relatives down south they speak nothing of paying off debt or decreasing the deficit. They just want their taxes lowered not matter what the implications are for future generations.

I think this is a major difference between the U.S. and Canada. When Mulroney was still racking up major deficits the fiscal conservatives of the right broke apart. The fiscal conservatives in the states have been farely quiet and have not criticized the current administration for running up these massive deficits.

Even in the primaries there is little talk from the major canidates on how they will get the books back in order. I would love to see someone besides Ron Paul get up and make this their top priority.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has accumulated debt ever hit crisis levels in the US like it nearly did here in Canada though? Until we got close to that 50% debt to GDP ratio, during a recession, none of the parties here talked about reducing debt either. For a developed, industrialized country, we were actually fairly close to a full on currency and inflation crisis.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to pickup this discussion elsewhere. This thread needs locking.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: