Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Harper on CTV Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it, I also enjoyed him letting go a bit and going in about his personal life.

Quote:
Harper struggles like most with work, life balance

Updated Sat. Dec. 22 2007 7:14 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has returned to Calgary for the holidays, and in a rare glimpse of his private life, he tells CTV News of his struggle to balance the most demanding job in Canada with his family life.

In his second annual interview with CTV News, Harper sounds like many fathers trying to come to grips with how fast his children, Ben and Rachel, are growing and changing.

"My boy is kind of a boy's boy; my girl is a girl's girl. So they're getting distinctive interests," he told CTV News' Chief Anchor Lloyd Robertson and Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife.

"They'll still go with me to some of the same movies, not all the same movies. But I find increasingly I'm doing things with one or the other as opposed to both. But that's just how kids grow up."

Harper said the little free time he has is usually dedicated to his family and in particular, his wife Laureen.

"I spend a lot of my free time, what I have of it, with the kids. I think in fairness to Laureen, she kind of wants a break from them from time to time because she's at home with them a lot," the prime minister said.

"So I spend my time with them and probably -- I really struggle to keep up with my wife, let's put it that way."

Harper, who is usually guarded about his personal life, says his holiday trip to Calgary will provide some time with his mother Margaret, who is often a good sounding board.

"First of all she's doing just terrific, out in Calgary. She's very supportive," he said.

"She doesn't give me political advice so much as she tells me her political views and tells me what she's seeing and hearing."

Although his father died four years ago, the prime minister said he often finds himself reaching for the phone to ask for his advice.

"I miss his advice. I think if he were here now, I'm sure what he would tell me, generally speaking, is whatever you do, don't do anything that would cause you not to sleep well at night. Always protect your integrity at all cost," Harper said.

Jump to: