Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article...

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently he fell short in Iowa, and McCain is the favorite now for some reason, if the pundits can be believed.
JBG

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: National Post endorses Ron Paul Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
ROOTING FOR RON PAULAnd this is coming from someone who isn't the slightest bit libertarian. I'm a little surprised that those who call themselves libertarian haven't offered a more impassioned defense of this guy.
The reason is that the US is already an extremely liberty-oriented country. There is just not much call, aside from a few beaurocratically challenged places like New York City and State to loosen things up even more. Further, his isolationism is off to the fringe of mainstream US views.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting food for thought. I wonder if there will come a point when Ron Paul endorses another candidate? I suspect that once the GOP nominee is decided, Paul will run for President as an Independant. We may see a right-wing version of the Nader effect.
JBG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Interesting food for thought. I wonder if there will come a point when Ron Paul endorses another candidate? I suspect that once the GOP nominee is decided, Paul will run for President as an Independant. We may see a right-wing version of the Nader effect.
The only "Nader effect" was in a state which had 27 electoral votes and the major parties were separated by 700 votes. That kind of a "perfect storm" is rare.
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, Paul already ran for President as a Libertarian in the 1988 campaign. Hmmm... how about Paul as VP under Thompson? Winning combination of populist and policy?

-Mac
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmmm... how about Paul as VP under Thompson? Winning combination of populist and policy?

I could definately find that appealing. Their visions on domestic policy mesh fairly well, I think.
JBG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm... how about Paul as VP under Thompson? Winning combination of populist and policy?

I could definately find that appealing. Their visions on domestic policy mesh fairly well, I think.
It's too bad Thomoson hasn't run a less lackluster campaign.
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBG wrote:
FF_Canuck wrote:
Quote:

It's too bad Thomoson hasn't run a less lackluster campaign.

To me, with his late entry, and lack of active campaigning (seemingly), it's like he never really wanted to run.
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it isn't so much Thompson isn't working hard (although that's a meme the MSM are pushing about Fred); rather than media has chosen to ignore him, focusing instead on more controversial candidates. There's no headlines to be had from someone who isn't proposing radical policies or attacking other candidates.

-Mac
JBG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
I suspect it isn't so much Thompson isn't working hard (although that's a meme the MSM are pushing about Fred); rather than media has chosen to ignore him, focusing instead on more controversial candidates. There's no headlines to be had from someone who isn't proposing radical policies or attacking other candidates.

-Mac

I'm with Bleatmop on this. When the first Iowa caucuses arer January 3, 2008 Labor Day 2007 is too late to launch a campaign.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can agree some of the problem may have been a late start, I think his biggest problem is that he may be the 'best' candidate - relatively few skeletons, a solid record, and a straightforward conservative platform that would have broad appeal with the GOP and unregistered voters. He's 'boring' from a news perspective, and if one had a vested interest in the prospects of the Democrats, he's the last person you'd want to see win the nomination...
JBG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
While I can agree some of the problem may have been a late start, I think his biggest problem is that he may be the 'best' candidate - relatively few skeletons, a solid record, and a straightforward conservative platform that would have broad appeal with the GOP and unregistered voters. He's 'boring' from a news perspective, and if one had a vested interest in the prospects of the Democrats, he's the last person you'd want to see win the nomination...
I see your point, but my perspective, as an American, is that many successful candidates are "boring" at the primary level. Examples are Jimmy Carter and, ironically, Bill Clinton ( he became newsworthy in an unwelcome manner later). The US campaigns have themselves become impossibly long, boring and bad games of "last man standing". Latecomers are almost always at a serious disadvantage.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi wrote:
I have no view on Ron Paul. But the bigger question for me is why or should a national news paper be endorsing a candidate in a foreign country.

Would we not get upset if the wall street journal or any other major US paper
endorsed one of our political candidates ?

:?

It would be like the wall street journal endorsing Elizabeth May. I doubt many people would take notice...
JBG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi wrote:
I have no view on Ron Paul. But the bigger question for me is why or should a national news paper be endorsing a candidate in a foreign country.

Would we not get upset if the wall street journal or any other major US paper
endorsed one of our political candidates ?

:?

I see your point, but the US and Canada have a highly unique relationship among "foreign countries". It's more like a sibling relationship than a totally "foreign couintry" relationship. For example, except in Alsace-Lorraine, the average French person wouldn't be able to navigate German publications, and even fewer Dutch or Danish publications. We share a 5000 km. border, and a common "working" language (even though you have two official languages and Spanish is an important secondary US language).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: