Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: FOUR years: A more long term policy should be next Reply with quote

It's been a while since we've discussed forward looking policy. In the last election, the Conservatives put together a fairly "vanilla" and short-termed platform to run on. Now that we've seen most of the goals "checked off", what's next?

What will be the next MAJOR focus for the next mandate? Hopefully over FOUR YEARS with a majority government in place.

Going from the Conservative website, the following "headlines" seem to be the focus:

- Accountability (What more can be done here? Accountability act was passed). Perhaps SENATE REFORM?

- Leadership (Basically a Dion sucks jab...). Not much policy formed around this theme. Just lead by governing....

- Child Care: What's the next step here? I'd like to see the current $100/month doubled to $200/month to do two things. 1. Help to encourage more choice in childcare (specifically encourage more families to have one stay at home parent). 2. Encourage having more children to lessen the need for excessive immigration.

- Healthcare: What BIG IDEAS could be accomplished with a majority over FOUR YEARS? We know that the wait times guarantee will continue but what else? Start "some" pilot privatization projects, possibly in Quebec where they are more receptive to the idea?

- Sovereignty: NORTHERN Initiatives. I think that the throne speech was pretty clear here... and much of it will take several years to accomplish.

- Crime: The omnibus crime bill was pretty all encompassing but what else can be done to reduce crime? Is there enough to run on for FOUR YEARS worth of governing? Crime never goes away but just off the top of my head, I can't think of anything groundbreaking. More cops in high crime risk areas would be a good start.

- Lower Taxes: Again, the throne speech pretty much summed up fairly long term goals, especially on the buisness tax front. Perhaps we'll see income splitting?? PENSION INCOME SPLITTING has already been passed for the elderly....

- Environment: Hmmmmm.... Cleaner cars, Build Nuclear, Improved building regulations and product (household appliances) regulations.

Afghanistan is an issue but not a focus on the website.....

For the record, my biggest hope is to see INCOME SPLITTING become a reality during the next mandate. In my tax bracket, I think I'm being unfairly targeted for my hard work!

Next, I'd like to see the prices of Hybrid cars come down one way or another. Leaving global warming aside for a moment, the toxins being spewed into the air here in Toronto, and the SMOG created here is a major health hazard during the warmer months of the year. I'd like to see clearer skies in our cities with cleaner cars on our roads.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: FOUR years: A more long term policy should be next Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
- Accountability (What more can be done here? Accountability act was passed). Perhaps SENATE REFORM?

What more can be done here? I'll tell you what more can be done, passing Bill S-4 (Senate Term Limits). This is beyond the control of the CPC as the Liberal Senators are stalling on this. I would like to see this played up more, but Senate Reform will never be a sexy election topic.

Like TorontoCon, income splitting is my biggest issue. This will benifit more families than any child care monies ever will. This is nothing to build 4 years of majority rule on though.
Big Tuna

votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: FOUR years: A more long term policy should be next Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:

I believe this was in the media a few weeks ago:

Some Tory accountability promises unfulfilled

There is still more to be done.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found something that needs SERIOUS addressing. This A-hole got only 4 years....

Clearly laws protecting children aren't tough enough. He'll be likely out in TWO for good behavior.... Meanwhile this poor child will be scarred for life. This is an outrage.

http://www.canada.com/topics/n.....mp;k=22285
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be out earlier as they are taking the time awaiting trail into account.

Twenty some months I think he has to go.

He should be good and rehabilitated by then don't you think? Pedophiles never re-offend right?

Having worked in protection I can tell you the consequences for his four year old child will last much longer and if not handled right society will be dealing with it in future at a great cost.

Provision needs to be made to make all child molesters dangerous offenders, they should have to prove they will not re-offend as the recidivism rate for pedophiles is thru the roof.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPC should have a longterm goal of reducing taxes in Canada to about 34-35% of our income on average. They should work in concert with other taxing jurisdiction(provinces and municipal) to find ways of delivering services cheaper.

They should move forward on the guarantee of eliminating Federal spending powers in provincial jurisdiction, but there should be a streamlining of constitutioanally mandated powers so there is no overlaping spending.

On the enviromental front they should set goals for personal energy conservation. Not the one tonne challenge but something where you get a tax break if you can show how you have helped comabat global warming. It would steal Dion's thunder and put the onus on individual responsibility instead of a massive inefficient government program.
mltoryblue

Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think putting in a national securities regulator and knocking down provincial trade barriers would be a major step for this country.

I also think since a lot of trusts will be converting over to corporations the government could afford to lower the dividend tax.

I like what the government is doing in terms of opening up more wireless space to competition. This could be replicated elsewhere in the economy.

I would love to see something done with the crown corporations, especially the CBC.

In terms of the environment, we should put forth policy that favours nuclear power and make building new reactors a priority. There should also be tax incentives for people and businesess that invest in reneweble energy.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANOTHER crime bill should be introduced to have guys like THIS deported upon release from prison. Better yet, keep him in prison longer than a few years.....

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/287619

"home-grown" terrorists GET OUT.
Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
ANOTHER crime bill should be introduced to have guys like THIS deported upon release from prison. Better yet, keep him in prison longer than a few years.....

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/287619

"home-grown" terrorists GET OUT.

home-grown means born here in Canada, no? Where do we deport them?
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article, it's impossible to tell if he was born here or was simply naturalized when he was very young. Or if he later acquired citizenship in another country.

At any rate, we can only deport those who have citizenship somewhere else - if their only citizenship is Canadian, we'll just have to lock them up indefinately.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CPC should propose one or two "transformative" policies next election.

The last policies were pretty much "don't rock the boat" style, but now that we've been in power I think people trust us more and would be more willing to accept a "big idea" proposal.

Quote:
Going from the Conservative website, the following "headlines" seem to be the focus:

I'd like to see a referendum on the senate become an election proposal. It would naturally be a hot topic and the Liberal position of status-quo would squeeze votes away from them to either the CPC or NDP.

I'd love to see the Libs explain during an election why we should continue with life-time political pork barrel appointments.

Quote:
- Leadership (Basically a Dion sucks jab...). Not much policy formed around this theme. Just lead by governing....

We should probably not go negative and instead play up the qualities of our leader. People will see for themselves what kind of person Dion is and they'll judge accordingly (I can't wait for the English language debates!)/

Quote:
- Child Care: What's the next step here? I'd like to see the current $100/month doubled to $200/month to do two things. 1. Help to encourage more choice in childcare (specifically encourage more families to have one stay at home parent). 2. Encourage having more children to lessen the need for excessive immigration.

Agreed. As I've said here often before, I think the CPC should propose a daycare voucher system, where stay at home parents can redeem them for 75% of their value as they do in Finland.

This would be one of the "big idea" proposals that we should go for.

Quote:
- Healthcare: What BIG IDEAS could be accomplished with a majority over FOUR YEARS? We know that the wait times guarantee will continue but what else? Start "some" pilot privatization projects, possibly in Quebec where they are more receptive to the idea?

I can't see us touching this one. The only thing I see possible at the moment is indirectly funding and supporting charter challenges against the Canada Health act and hope for rulings like they had in Quebec.

Quote:
- Sovereignty: NORTHERN Initiatives. I think that the throne speech was pretty clear here... and much of it will take several years to accomplish.

I think this would be a good one. Let's bring back Deif's idea of developing the north!
There was talk of an arctic highway, which IMO would open up the north and end the isolation of many communities which in turn will decrease poverty. There is no reason why our north can't be as developed as Alaska is.

All our northern initiatives should be framed as helping native poverty.

The other "big idea" proposal we should do is income splitting, though with the day care voucher we may not be able to afford it.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next 5 Prioities.

1. Lower income taxes - lower rates/Income Splitting

2. Senate Reform.

3. Interprovincial trade

4. Government downsizing - 2%/year. Feds focusing on their constitutional responsibility only

5. Immigration Restructuring - only allow in people with shared values.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that abolishing the senate should just go ahead....Take their annual salaries and roll it into something useful.

As for 2% reductions/year, I don't see it happening since new legislation is being put forward to increase the # of Ontario, Alberta and (I think... Quebec??, BC??) seats...
Big Tuna

votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
I think that abolishing the senate should just go ahead....Take their annual salaries and roll it into something useful.

As for 2% reductions/year, I don't see it happening since new legislation is being put forward to increase the # of Ontario, Alberta and (I think... Quebec??, BC??) seats...

If we simply abolish the senate how do we ensure that the western provinces and the eastern provinces have fair representation?

It's not as simple as just abolishing it.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not as simple as just abolishing it.

Agreed ... Senate Reform is the ideal path. However, if the only options are status quo or abolition, I choose abolition.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: