Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, most, if not all of the countries that have mandatory military service feel continually threatened in some way. Taiwan, Israel, Singapore, South Korea, these countries are under, or feel that they are under, constant threat.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Now that I think about it, most, if not all of the countries that have mandatory military service feel continually threatened in some way. Taiwan, Israel, Singapore, South Korea, these countries are under, or feel that they are under, constant threat.

One of the qualifications to become a NATO member state is to abolish Mandatory Military Service. Thats why we don't have compulsory service here or in any other NATO member state.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Craig, remember me asking you about the best way to instill discipline in my Kids. The Cadets sound great.

hey Mac, any roll for the parents of the cadets to help out?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Hey Craig, remember me asking you about the best way to instill discipline in my Kids. The Cadets sound great.

hey Mac, any roll for the parents of the cadets to help out?

Definitely! They encourage parents to participate in a variety of ways.

I've helped out in Stores (organizing kit & uniform) as well as helping with a few of the fund raisers. Some of the instructors are parents; some are ex-military or police; some had kids who've already aged out of Cadets but the parents enjoy working with the Cadets enough to keep helping.

-Mac
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I believe that many countries have mandatory military service. Israel for one. Germany still does I believe. I had some friends in school who were born in Germany, their father was in the military. They had dual citizenship up until they were 18, but they had to give it up or risk being drafted into the German army. Apparently, if you are drafted into a foreign army, you will lose you Canadian citizenship.

Germany does have a mandatory military service, however Germans have an option to do civilian service instead. My cousin opted out and did his civil service stint with the St. John's Ambulance. He tells me it is about a 2:1 ratio with people taking the civil service option versus the military option.

I think that something like system is a good idea. The country gets served either way and hopefully the kids get something out of it. And because there is a "choice" element to the program, you won't be as resentful for having being forced.
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palomino_pony wrote:
I think that something like system is a good idea. The country gets served either way and hopefully the kids get something out of it. And because there is a "choice" element to the program, you won't be as resentful for having being forced.

Unless there's a way to opt out completely, I can foresee problems. I wonder how Germany deals with that?

I know the Israelis look on their service as an honour and so there's peer pressure which would help reduce people wanting to opt out but I understand there is a process to do so.

That being said, the Israelis have a different outlook. Police and military are both branches of their Security Forces. If you're in Security Forces, you don't pay for entry to events, whether private enterprise or otherwise, but you're expected to be armed and ready to deal with any problems you encounter.

I should explain that my wife's uncle settled in Israel when he escaped from Budapest after the Russians suppressed the Hungarian Revolution in 1956/57. His son was born/raised there to age 10, then they emigrated to Canada. At age 18, he returned to Israel and served in the Security Forces as a police officer for 20 years, then he retired back to Canada with a pension. He and I have talked about the difference between our jobs...

-Mac
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandatory state service?

Aren't we fighting to reduce government with respect to our mandatory tax paying, in "service" of the state?

Now, we want more?

Let's keep the military volunteer, unless we're under attack.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
Aren't we fighting to reduce government

We're not all libertarian conservatives.
Mac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Aren't we fighting to reduce government

We're not all libertarian conservatives.

Pity... :D

-Mac
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
palomino_pony wrote:

Unless there's a way to opt out completely, I can foresee problems. I wonder how Germany deals with that?

I think that is what the civil service option is supposed to provide. Options include the Red Cross, St John's Ambulance, disaster preparedness (floods etc), environmental cleanup, and so on.

There are some provisions for the complete opting out - if your family was opressed by the Nazi for example, medical reasons, and conscientious objections. I am not sure what the burden of proof one would need to provde to be conscientious objectors.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: