Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Why I like BM the PM Reply with quote

With all the allegations around the former PM lets remember what good he did for this country. I was rather young when he was in power but I feel that I am still receiving some of the rewards of what the former PM did right.

So lets discuss what he did right for a bit.

I'll start..

Stood up against Thatcher and helped Nelson Mandela get freed.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing he probably did wrong was to introduce the extra sales tax
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of economic misery, unemployment, inflation, interest rates, he improved things more than any other PM. Trudeau of course, was the worst in these areas; he raised unemployment, inflation, and interest rates in this country.

Not to mention free trade.

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/eco.....ey2001.pdf
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His loyalty to his cabinet ministers, even though it did come back to bite him a couple times.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free trade.

edit: more accurately, NAFTA.
The Trusty Tory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWLA, exactly. I would have posted the same link.

The problem is, the majority of people, well, liberal-minded people particularly, don't bother to read about all of the good Brian Mulroney has brought to this country.

The GST, NAFTA, the FTA, the Acid Rain Treaty, the scrapping of the NEP, ALMOST bringing Quebec into the Constitution (if it wasn't rigged by the Libs) are some of his major achievements. He was left with a $100 billion dollar deficit by one Pierre Trudeau, and did what he could during a recession to not make the Canadian people suffer.

It was through ignorance that he lost. If he held on, I think we would have won a minority against Mr. Chretien.

In my opinion, Brian Mulroney is the greatest Prime Minister in Canadian history.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my opinion, Brian Mulroney is the greatest Prime Minister in Canadian history.

If Meech had passed and turned out to be a good thing(big if) and if the PC's could have held on to power long enough to have the economic turn around fall under there rule, he would have been the greatest. He is with out a doubt the most ambitious P.M. we ever had.
TealTories

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was soooo close getting Quebec to sign when the Libs hijacked it on the 11th hour.
Trudeau couldn't stand the fact that Mulroney was about to do something that he could never do himself. His ego was bigger than the peace tower.

Then the liberals have the gaul to say they were the only federal party in Quebec.
Only liberals
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BM the PM?

Thats an unfortunate turn of phrase.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
BM the PM?

Thats an unfortunate turn of phrase.

I was thinking it but I wasn't gonna say it.

Mulroney's governance was the high water mark for the Red Tory movement but the best PM of all time? Hard to say...

It is unfortunate Mulroney's time as PM directly followed the horror that was Trudeau since Mulroney spent a great deal of his time and energy cleaning up the mess left by Trudeau who was the most fiscally irresponsible PM in Canadian history. Factor into that how much energy Mulroney spent trying to clean up Trudeau's constitutional mess as well.

I wonder what kind of initiatives Mulroney might have brought forward if he wasn't constantly behind the Liberal 8 ball?

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mulroney being the best PM is actually more about how generally bad PMs have been over the years. He was not a particularly great man with vision; it is only when compared to other PMs that he shines. Trudeau spent money like a drunken sailor, expropriating private business, fomenting separatist sentiment, saddling us with a deeply flawed Charter, the list goes on. Chretien never did much of anything, good or bad; how could you not look great compared to those two.

I remember 2 or 3 years ago, I was having an argument here at work, where I asserted that Chretien had done nothing for this country. I challenged a friend to compile a list of Chretien's accomplishments, and I am still waiting for that list.

Chretien got elected to 3 majority governments, choked a protester, bashed a burglar, and that is about all that I can think of.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Chretien got elected to 3 majority governments, choked a protester, bashed a burglar, and that is about all that I can think of.

Sponsorship Scandal? HRDC "Billion Dollar Boondoggle"? Long Arm Registry? I could go on and on...

-Mac
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

Just to set the record straight: I always thought it was Mr. C's esteemed WIFE that bashed the burglar with the Soapstone sculpture.

Oh and you forgot that he had imaginary conversations with homeless people.
Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

Sponsorship Scandal? HRDC "Billion Dollar Boondoggle"? Long Arm Registry? I could go on and on...

-Mac

Yes, of course, but he was naming Chretien's positive contributions to Canada :wink:

Not that his 3 majority governments were a positive contribution, but you know..
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Chretien's big boondoggles, money wasters, and bad policy really do pale in comparison to any part of the badness that Trudeau perpetrated. Rapists and pedophiles serving their sentences in your community? Thank Trudeau and the charter. Being taxed at 50%? Thank Trudeau and his spending. Lost your house and contemplated suicide in Calgary during the early 80s? Again, Thank Trudeau and his NEP. It will be sometime during the lives of my grandchildren (my first son is only 3 months old), if ever, that Trudeau's damage is undone.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: