Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Greens now Canada's third place party Reply with quote

Greens have surpassed the NDP in terms of popular support for the first time in history according to a recent poll. This is symbolically huge and could result in a substantial shift for left wing voters. Will the Greens emerge as the Reform Party of the left?

http://www.greenparty.ca/en/node/3149
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to take Green seriously until they elect an MP.

-Mac
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we always say that Mac, but 13% ain't nothing to sneeze at. Even if some of those voters don't actually VOTE for Green when it is election time, as we have seen in the past, the message here is that ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES are a major issue on the Canadians' minds, more than HEALTH CARE (which is what the NDP "owns").

I see this as Environment jumping the line on Health Care, more than anything to do with Green support.

Interesting.

So by the time there's an election will the Conservatives be able to show progress on GHG emissions? Regardless what WE think, GHG's will be a litmus test for how "good/bad" the government is doing on the environment.

Any reports?
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in 4 or 5 federal elections, many by-elections, and various provincial elections, they have failed to win a seat. So I would say no. Reform was the second place party in this country after only a few years, so they have already fallen well short of that yardstick. My opinion is that they will continue to fail to elect candidates for the foreseeable future.
Mac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
I know we always say that Mac, but 13% ain't nothing to sneeze at.

I think I'm allergic to polls... ah-ah-ah-ACHOOO!!

The only thing I reckon from Greens scoring high in a poll is that the respondents aren't worried about an election coming anytime soon. Greens poll highest when no-one is thinking about elections. As soon as people start thinking seriously about who to vote for, Green slides back down to 5% and failed to elect an MP.

That being said, Canadian politics is navigating relatively uncharted waters. The traditional parties aren't playing their traditional roles... perhaps there is a chance for the Greens to finally elect an MP.

Just in case, I'm not going to hold my breath.

-Mac
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
As soon as people start thinking seriously about who to vote for, Green slides back down to 5% and failed to elect an MP.

Since most of those supporters would probably vote for either the NDP or Liberals, does that mean the poll numbers for the NDP & Liberals are lower than what they should be?
Also, the significant thing here is that the greens are now polling higher than the NDP. It's true that a lot of green supporters would probably switch to the NDP in ridings where the NDP have a chance at winning but the greens don't. Now that the greens are higher, does that mean NDP supporters could switch to the greens if the greens have a better chance at winning a seat? The greens could become the new NDP...the NNDP :lol:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Greens now Canada's third place party Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Greens have surpassed the NDP in terms of popular support for the first time in history according to a recent poll. This is symbolically huge and could result in a substantial shift for left wing voters. Will the Greens emerge as the Reform Party of the left?

http://www.greenparty.ca/en/node/3149

They will take necessary votes to form any thing away from the Liberals and NDP. That's good as far as I am concerned!
Mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Since most of those supporters would probably vote for either the NDP or Liberals, does that mean the poll numbers for the NDP & Liberals are lower than what they should be?

I could just as easily ask if the Greens and the Dippers always splitting the left vote, why haven't the Conservative Party or it's precursor parties dominated the PMO?

Are you certain those "soft" Green supporters go Dipper or Liberal? I've considered Green in the past, enough so to read up on their policy platforms. Mind you, that was before the coronation of Lizzie May. The assumption that Green, as a political movement, must be leftist is indicative of how the MSM views politics in Canada moreso that an accurate reflection of political reality.

As much as Greenie Dion would love to claim otherwise, environmental concerns aren't a Liberal "priority" even now. The "greenest" PM in Canadian history was Mulroney, not any Liberal.

I'm all for putting an end to pollution and developing stable, sustainable industries instead of our current unbridled expanding economy which depends on growth for stability. What kept me from voting Green is that their vision for Canada wasn't sustainable either... and their policies have only become more radical and less "reality based" under Lizzie May.

-Mac
radicalcentrist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody should take this tree-hugging hippies seriously. The Liberals steal all their ideas anyway.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealing of ideas is actually fairly widespread in a system like ours, where a 3 point swing can mean 30 seats.
radicalcentrist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I mean, most people who vote Green in these polls will actually vote Liberal in a real election.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four parties on the left and one on the right. We might be in government of a while.
8)
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Four parties on the left and one on the right. We might be in government of a while.
8)

Exactly go green go!

Jump to: