Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Parents win right to grow babies for 'spare parts' Reply with quote

Quote:
PARENTS of sick children in Britain will be allowed to use IVF to create "spare-part babies" under controversial laws published yesterday.

The legislation will dramatically relax rules on IVF clinics creating "saviour siblings" who can help cure their older brothers and sisters of medical conditions such as leukemia.

Experts said that one day they could create a "designer baby" with kidneys perfectly compatible with a sibling suffering renal failure.

We live in a sick world.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0.....01,00.html
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am disgusted by this,

Can you imagine 10 years in the future when that child figures out that they were conceived for the sole purpose of being their siblings Saviour?

Each child deserves to be born, wanted and loved based on their own merits and not by the service they can provide to their family.
lucamanfredi

Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is SICK! If this is true I am the first one to advocate an immediate wave of public outcry. I am always first in line for research and progress, but this is outright disregard for human life. Eek!

The way is to find ways to grow tissue from stem cells or somatic cells, not to kill fully formed babies. And even if it were the creation of babies for donating coupled organs (eg lungs, kidneys etc) it would still be sick, because donation is a choice, not the reason for coming into the world.

I want to read the full bill, because if this is true Labour have just buried themselves under a pile of solidifying concrete.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The way is to find ways to grow tissue from stem cells or somatic cells, not to kill fully formed babies.

I would hope that they would not kill the baby. Just take one of the kidney's or something, which is sick enough. I read a story about such a child in the Star and what a great thing it was that this little kid now only has one kidney and has caused the standard of life for there sibling to be raised. The fact that the parents where like 50 when they had the kid to help a 14 year old sibling did not matter. When this kid is 25-30 they will have one kidney and no parents. And a world of questions.
lucamanfredi

Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear that once we get the ability to grow siblings and then take a kidney out, things might actually degenerate into taking out vital non-coupled organs. This is a big extrapolation, but the road is very slippery.

I'd rather see more bills authorizing research into tissue engineering rather than this.
luca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw these posts were mine, my passwords didnt quite work right lol. my fault.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun has finally set on the British Empire! This is yet another part of social regression. And sometimes I wonder why we fought Hitler!!!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy vey! Godwin's Law arrives so quickly!!

-Mac
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that happening in Europe? :D
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why has the issue died down?

Are people not growing babies for spare parts anymore?
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
The sun has finally set on the British Empire! This is yet another part of social regression. And sometimes I wonder why we fought Hitler!!!

I hate to say it... but the British Empire looks worse and worse by the day. That once great nation has completely lost even the slightest semblance of moral fiber or cultural strength.
DavidK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:

I hate to say it... but the British Empire looks worse and worse by the day. That once great nation has completely lost even the slightest semblance of moral fiber or cultural strength.

That's because it was allowed to shift so much to the left... But we can't say that. Because, well, liberal is good and being conservative means you're the devil. :roll: :roll:
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, aren't you the guy who was talking up Eugenics?

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/forums/topic5673.html

This is the logical extension of the very same arguments that you were making.
Lisa11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

The information you have provided is really useful and great.
Lisa11

*Spam link removed by moderator*
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you imagine 10 years in the future when that child figures out that they were conceived for the sole purpose of being their siblings Saviour?

I watched a documentary on this topic and one "saviour sibling" was saying that she was really proud of the fact that she was born in order to help her older sibling. Maybe her opinion will change when she's older though.

IMO, in a few years this won't be much of an issue because technology will remove the necessity of a sibling due to stem cell therapy and the ability to grow replacement organs.

Jump to: