Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My wife and I had tried to have a baby for 3 years and nothing had happened. We decide to try invitro. We had been doing it for a month or so and I had been praying that God would give us a baby.

One morning as I began to pray my heart started to beat out of control and I felt God tell me to pray really hard. For the next few days I prayed harder than I had ever prayed in my life. I was sure God was telling me the Invitro was going to work. 3 days after I started praying a girl we did not know who had been talking to a friend of ours came to us and asked if we would adopt her unborn child. That boy is my son now.

The invitro didn't work. Received lots of prayer and about a year after we stopped invitro we got pregnant on our own. That might not sound like a miracle to you but it was to me. 2 healthy boys. Amazing!
PoliticalGrrrl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my children are miracles in their own way. Not the standard all babies are miracles but different. Just know that miracles do exist, you just have to have your eyes open to see them when they happen.
IcemanA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Christian and a rationalist, I understand both sides pretty well.

I've seen things difficult to rationalize by any means but the supernatural, but I still hold out in thinking there could be other explanations.

I'm a member of a Mennonite Brethren based church... they tend to be more theologically based with solid argumentation in sermons, as opposed to, say, Pentacostal, which is the type of church I attended for several years also. They tend to be more emotion based (I apologize to anyone who thinks I'm making any unfair generalizations, I can only speak to my experience and that of those I know).

It seems like both sides of the debate are in fact simply having different subjective views on the same objective events. Nothing wrong with that. I doubt claims like "just open your eyes" will have any effect, as the rationalist is thinking (ironically) "OMG, I could say the same to you".

Thusfar, I have little problem reconciling the Christian and rationalist sides of me...at least in the case of miracles. I have found no theologically sound reason to think that miracles MUST be happening, or if they do, that they must be recognizable beyond a reasonable doubt. I do give some merit to the "He wouldn't do anything so obvious because there is no point in coercing belief" train of thought.

The weirdest 'miracle' I read was several dozen people in the church (with dental records to back it up) went to dental checkups over the course of a few months, and all found that their molar fillings were gold.... and the dentists had only put in the standard non-gold fillings. My first thought is "bogus story", but I have visited that church. Very odd.

But again, I err on the side of not confining God to gaps in human knowledge, and even the arm-regrowing example might not be convincing....who knows what kind of mutation is possible in humans. I do believe in God, however, backed up with as much evidence as possible, enough to have what I deem a reasonable belief, if that is not an oxymoron.

But when it comes to most miracles...the evidence is not strong enough for me.
Triple_R

Reputation: 6.2Reputation: 6.2Reputation: 6.2Reputation: 6.2Reputation: 6.2Reputation: 6.2
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of agnostics/atheists wrongly believe that Christians just assume that every strange yet beneficial occurance under the sun is a miracle.

We don't.

There's plenty of things that I'm willing to accept as happening due to factors that have nothing at all to do with direct Divine intervention.

I would search for a scientific explanation before I'd even seriously consider that it is miraculious, because in my view, God has given us free will, and hence miracles are exceptional events that occur rarely.

It's only when science can't offer any explanation whatsoever (and that does happen sometimes) that I'll start to say "There's a good possibility that this is a miracle".

I've seen such a miracle within my own family, where I had a very religious Aunt who was diagnosed with cancer, and the cancer came up several times for her. She prayed over the matter... and the cancer was later gone. Not in remission... but completely gone, and this was verified by a Doctor. That might be a miracle. It's one of only two or three events that have hit close to home that I'd inclined to consider a genuine, supernatural miracle.

Finally, this God of the gaps nonsense is not part of my worldview at all. I believe that God has created a natural universe that can indefinitely run itself forever if necessary. Every case of lightning are not acts of God, but they are nonetheless due to the physical system that God has set up.
mrsocko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman wrote:
Quote:
The weirdest 'miracle' I read was several dozen people in the church (with dental records to back it up) went to dental checkups over the course of a few months, and all found that their molar fillings were gold.... and the dentists had only put in the standard non-gold fillings. My first thought is "bogus story", but I have visited that church. Very odd.

This happened at the Toronto Airport Fellowship. The miracle I described about the lady spitting up cancer happened during the same time period and was associated with that revival, but occurred at a different church.
marklar

Reputation: 38.5Reputation: 38.5Reputation: 38.5Reputation: 38.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
I know a little about neurology.... and what happened with Kevin Everett in the NFL (Buffalo Bills TE) is really astonishing. When you get involuntary twitches like he had on the field, and then have feeling and movement of your feet a few days later, that is.... extremely, extremely rare.

He's walking now (a MONTH later). Unreal. I'm pretty sure that if you are Christian, you see that as a miracle.

As a huge NFL fan, I prayed for him every Sunday.

By all rights the recovery he had should be impossible. It is pretty incredible.

Speaking of the bills, i was at the "biggest comeback ever" game against the oilers. Certainly in a football context, this was a miracle :D
mrsocko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ibethel.org/feature.....&d=372

Partially Severed Thumb Grows Out
mrsocko

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amputee being healed - leg growing back. Documented with x-rays and doctors certificates.

http://healingsandmiracles.org/

Quote:
After the auto accident in 1981, Carole was pronounced dead twice, revived at the scene, Dead on Arrival at the hospital yet miraculously began speaking from under the cover at the morgue. God had other plans for Carole! Besides bringing her back to life, she has received many healings for incurable autoimmune diseases and twelve creative miracles including the re-growth of her amputated leg!

Carole has been chosen to spread the word of God and news about the miracles He has bestowed upon her. Included here on this website are her x-rays, personal photos, her physicians' contact information and photos from some of her world travels. See for yourself.
http://healingsandmiracles.org/httpdocs/2007/gallery-4.htm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: