Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

is faith a choice
yes
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
no
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21

Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question beaj,
How did you come to figure superstring theory is an attempt to explain how the universe began? It's not. It's a "theory of everything" (ie: one over-riding principle regarding how the universe is governed).
And your first article states that the problem with a cyclical model of the universe does not provide a start point for the cycles. So, we're back at point a. Science does not have an answer to the question of "How it all began." That is still the subject of much research.

-Ruth
theatheistjew

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
Quick question beaj,
How did you come to figure superstring theory is an attempt to explain how the universe began? It's not. It's a "theory of everything" (ie: one over-riding principle regarding how the universe is governed).
And your first article states that the problem with a cyclical model of the universe does not provide a start point for the cycles. So, we're back at point a. Science does not have an answer to the question of "How it all began." That is still the subject of much research.

-Ruth

Here, read this:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/e.....gross.html

1500 years, what were the theories of lightning? I'm curious about this myself.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Faith a choice? No... faith is not; I agree with kw here...

religion... that is a choice.

I agree.

If you truly have faith, and you believe it to be true, then it isn't a choice. From your perspective, its reality.

Saying to a devout person that their faith is a choice, is like telling someone that the sky being blue is a choice.

As for science supposedly disproving the existence of God:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_point_(Tipler)
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From a scientific perspective, the universe has no creator either.

Which makes one think, maybe God IS the universe...
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

In that case all you are really doing is assigning a new name (God) to something else (the Universe). I'm not sure I understand the point of doing that.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
Here, read this:

Science once thought the world was flat. Just because you have a theory doesn't mean we should believe it.

From the article you quoted...

Quote:
We're not sure that string theory, or any theory, could provide answers to the beginning of the universe, but it's a goal that many of us are desperate to try to reach.

I don't know the answer to the question. I'm not someone who sits on either side of this fence (IMHO that would be arrogant). When some of the best scientists in the world state that NO theory may explain the beginning of the universe it suggests to me that ALL theories (including God) have a chance at being right.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool is Cool:
Quote:

For from him and through him and to him are all things.

I have a question for all the Christians on this board.

Has God performed miracles in your lives that would cause you to know that he exists?

Could you tell me about some of them? I love hearing about God moving in peoples lives.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Quote:
From a scientific perspective, the universe has no creator either.

If you want to redefine the universe or nature as being God, then I have to believe in God because there is evidence that nature and/or the universe exist.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:
Here, read this:

Science once thought the world was flat. Just because you have a theory doesn't mean we should believe it.

From the article you quoted...

Quote:
We're not sure that string theory, or any theory, could provide answers to the beginning of the universe, but it's a goal that many of us are desperate to try to reach.

I don't know the answer to the question. I'm not someone who sits on either side of this fence (IMHO that would be arrogant). When some of the best scientists in the world state that NO theory may explain the beginning of the universe it suggests to me that ALL theories (including God) have a chance at being right.

There is a chance that Leprechauns exist and that there is an invisible man under my bed too.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Cool is Cool:
Quote:

For from him and through him and to him are all things.

I have a question for all the Christians on this board.

Has God performed miracles in your lives that would cause you to know that he exists?

Could you tell me about some of them? I love hearing about God moving in peoples lives.

You should start a new topic: Do you believe in miracles? And have you ever witnessed a miracle?
biggie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:

There is a chance that Leprechauns exist and that there is an invisible man under my bed too.

nope... he moved under my bed about a week ago.

And he keeps having parties all night. have to walk around passed-out leprechauns when I get up every morning. :x
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:

And the world is flat. Science is often foolish too. That doesn't mean all science is foolish.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:

nope... he moved under my bed about a week ago.

And he keeps having parties all night. have to walk around passed-out leprechauns when I get up every morning. :x

No way, he was under my bed last night. He is the one who makes me snore, he reaches from under the bed with his extraordinary long arms and plugs my nose just to piss off my wife.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:

And the world is flat. Science is often foolish too. That doesn't mean all science is foolish.

A flat earth is falsifiable, but Leprechauns, God and the invisible man under my bed are not.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
Craig wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:

A flat earth is falsifiable, but Leprechauns, God and the invisible man under my bed are not.

Your comparison is a non sequitur. Because there are fictional characters, all "characters" for which there is no concrete proof of their existence must also be fictional.

Back when science thought the world was flat it was also believed to be unfalsifiable. Many scientific "laws" have been falsified. And it is usually through accidental discovery that they are falsified. People who didn't believe the world was flat were ridiculed (much as you are doing to the faithful here) and even jailed. But FAITH in their belief that the world was round despite the contention by many that it was an established scientific law is what prevailed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: