Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Cost of solar cells cut in half? Reply with quote

Sounds promising...

Quote:
Santa Clara, Calif.-based Innovalight says it has developed a somewhat contradictory-sounding process for creating crystalline silicon solar cells with liquid. If it works in mass production, it could slash the cost of making these solar cells by half or more, the company claims.

The key is that the resulting solar cell has efficiencies--or the amount of sunlight the solar cell can turn into electricity--that are closer to crystalline silicon solar cells than thin-film alternatives such as amorphous silicon or copper indium gallium selenide or CIGS.

Crystalline solar cells have higher efficiencies than thin films. Commercial crystalline panels can convert up to 22 percent of sunlight into electricity, without concentrators. CIGS makers are initially shooting for the mid to low teens. The catch is that making crystalline solar cells is expensive. The patterning and other processes is similar to what is used in making LCD panels. Innovalight says it could conceivably cut the production price by around 50 percent or more.

http://www.news.com/Pour-yours.....;subj=news
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great. I'd buy one to at least take my water heater off the grid. Good start.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
That would be great. I'd buy one to at least take my water heater off the grid. Good start.

I wonder how they would do in our frigid temperatures?

You would think that in the near future that they would push for helping people to GET OFF THE GRID.

Serious Tax cuts for those that can supply their own electricity with out polluting the Environment. Some of us country folk have enough land to make a solar farm feasible. It just costs so darn much currently and I am not positive about the winter production available at present.

Having gone with out power for almost THREE FREAKING WEEKS during the Ice Storm my spouse and I keep checking on the advances on technology to get the heck off this junkie grid. So far not so good.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't look to photo voltaics for the answer. Look to the Carnot cycle, and the most efficient example of the Carnot cycle in practice, the Stirling cycle engine.

http://www.stirlingenergy.com/genset_overview.htm
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
TorontoCon wrote:

I wonder how they would do in our frigid temperatures?

You would think that in the near future that they would push for helping people to GET OFF THE GRID.

Serious Tax cuts for those that can supply their own electricity with out polluting the Environment. Some of us country folk have enough land to make a solar farm feasible. It just costs so darn much currently and I am not positive about the winter production available at present.

Having gone with out power for almost THREE FREAKING WEEKS during the Ice Storm my spouse and I keep checking on the advances on technology to get the heck off this junkie grid. So far not so good.

Hey Crazymama. I found this online....

http://www.ourpower.ca/portals.....power.aspx

Jump to: