Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

As a Christian, I believe:
The Bible/Christianity/Jesus/Word of God does not support capital punishment
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
The Bible/Christianity/Jesus/Word of God DOES support capital punishment
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Other
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Christianity and Capital Punishment Reply with quote

Another Christian Discussion!

I generally support the death penalty...

But when you look at the Bible and Jesus...i don't think its very Christian to be "eye for an eye" and the 10 commandment says "Thou shall not kill".

We need to remember, Jesus Christ, our savior, was sentenced to capital punishment by the Romans....

What do you think? From a Christian point-of-view?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Christianity and Capital Punishment Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
But when you look at the Bible and Jesus...i don't think its very Christian to be "eye for an eye" and the 10 commandment says "Thou shall not kill".

Ahem...

Quote:
And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
-- Exodus 21: 23-25

Although we've rendered this quote into a metaphor nowadays, that's what the Bible says and it was meant literally. :wink:

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of criminals can be reformed; some cannot, some refuse to be. You have two choices with these cases, lock them up forever or put them down. For criminals that do serious violent crimes, I think it is pretty cut and dried, society has to be protected form them, and they will always be a danger. Death penalty is the appropriate punishment. Otherwise, if they are locked up forever, they are still a danger to the other inmates, some of whom can be reformed, and the guards, who have committed no crimes. Plus there is always the danger of escape.

It is not about vengeance, as eye for an eye implies, it is about deterrence, and protecting society. I see it as more humane than permanent incarceration.
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
A lot of criminals can be reformed; some cannot, some refuse to be. You have two choices with these cases, lock them up forever or put them down. For criminals that do serious violent crimes, I think it is pretty cut and dried, society has to be protected form them, and they will always be a danger. Death penalty is the appropriate punishment. Otherwise, if they are locked up forever, they are still a danger to the other inmates, some of whom can be reformed, and the guards, who have committed no crimes. Plus there is always the danger of escape.

It is not about vengeance, as eye for an eye implies, it is about deterrence, and protecting society. I see it as more humane than permanent incarceration.

Well said... and there's been numerous cases of "death row" inmates who confirm your last point in requesting their sentence to dealt with promptly.

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for a Biblical basis for capital punishment:

Romans 1:32 (Young's Literal Translation) "who the righteous judgment of God having known -- that those practising such things are worthy of death -- not only do them, but also have delight with those practising them"

Romans 13:1-7 "1Let every soul to the higher authorities be subject, for there is no authority except from God, and the authorities existing are appointed by God,

2so that he who is setting himself against the authority, against God's ordinance hath resisted; and those resisting, to themselves shall receive judgment.

3For those ruling are not a terror to the good works, but to the evil; and dost thou wish not to be afraid of the authority? that which is good be doing, and thou shalt have praise from it,

4for of God it is a ministrant to thee for good; and if that which is evil thou mayest do, be fearing, for not in vain doth it bear the sword; for of God it is a ministrant, an avenger for wrath to him who is doing that which is evil.

5Wherefore it is necessary to be subject, not only because of the wrath, but also because of the conscience,

6for because of this also pay ye tribute; for servants of God they are, on this very thing attending continually;

7render, therefore, to all [their] dues; to whom tribute, the tribute; to whom custom, the custom; to whom fear, the fear; to whom honour, the honour. "

http://www.biblegateway.com/pa.....version=15
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Christianity and Capital Punishment Reply with quote

Mac wrote:

Ahem...

Quote:
And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
-- Exodus 21: 23-25

Although we've rendered this quote into a metaphor nowadays, that's what the Bible says and it was meant literally. :wink:

-Mac

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"

Matthew 5:38-44

I think that should put to rest what Jesus thinks of capital punishment.
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Christianity and Capital Punishment Reply with quote

gc wrote:
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"

Matthew 5:38-44

I think that should put to rest what Jesus thinks of capital punishment.

Respectfully, I disagree. Jesus spoke of resisting evil and none of the examples which he used mentioned anything to do with death whatsoever... and there's no sense in my repeating what kwlafayette just posted...

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite clear cut in the old testament, capital punishment was definitely supported. It does not seem tp be so clear cut in the new testament, nothing that says definitively that it is not allowed.

I think in the old testament, a murderer would have been executed quickly regardless of circumstances. In the new testament, I think they would look at the person, and see if he could be reformed (saved). Capital punishment is still an option I think, but it changes from a mandatory sentencing thing to be discretionary.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Christianity and Capital Punishment Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Respectfully, I disagree. Jesus spoke of resisting evil and none of the examples which he used mentioned anything to do with death whatsoever

Jesus is saying that instead of 'an eye for an eye', we should turn the other cheek.
There is also John 8:5-10

"In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?"
They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.
Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

Quote:
... and there's no sense in my repeating what kwlafayette just posted...

I think the passage that kwlafayette posted refers to God punishing humans, not humans punishing other humans.
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, kwlafayette answered your point before you posed it, quoting my text. I'm starting to feel like I'm playing "telephone" or something!!

In the example from John, the punishment was unjustified which is why they were using the woman to try to trap Jesus... but Jesus didn't fall for their trap. Instead, he put the onus back on the accusors who then declined to falsely accuse her.

-Mac
gc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
In the example from John, the punishment was unjustified which is why they were using the woman to try to trap Jesus... but Jesus didn't fall for their trap. Instead, he put the onus back on the accusors who then declined to falsely accuse her.

-Mac

I suppose that is one interpretation...but I think it has more to do with the fact that the Pharisees could not punish the woman because they are not free of sin (If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her). In other words, only Jesus/God can punish.

By the way, where did it say the accusation was false?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would interpret it more that the woman showed regret and a willingness to amend her ways. Too bad they never brought a true sociopath before Jesus, someone who would laugh at his victims and publicly profess to a desire to kill, or rape, or whatever again.
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:

How else would it have been a trap if the accusation wasn't false?

-Mac
Dolphin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old testament definately supports capital punishment, don't really know if the new has much to say about it. No offense to the christians here but i don't much care what the bible says about the subject.
I support capital punishment, but believe it should not be used lightly. Only for murder or treason, and not even in every case of those. The level of evidence should be higher than a simple conviction to lessen the chance of killing an innocent person.
gc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
gc wrote:

How else would it have been a trap if the accusation wasn't false?

Same way they tried to trap him in Luke 20:20-26. Taxes are not false.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: