Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Christian Denominations I have Issues With Reply with quote

Big One I have Issues With:

United Church of Canada

They openly support murder:

* (1980) Declared support for contraception and access to abortion: "We do not support 'abortion on demand.' We believe that abortion should be a personal matter between a woman and her doctor, who should earnestly consider their understanding of the particular situation permitting the woman to bring to bear her moral and religious insights into human life in reaching a decision through a free and responsive exercise of her conscience."[2]

* (1989) Policy paper issued urging the Canadian government "not use the provisions in the Criminal Code to regulate abortion"[3]

* (1990) Issued policy paper encouraging the Canadian government to improve rural access to abortion[4]

No church or any Christian denomination should ever support abortion.

Its overwhelmingly a sin.

In my opinion the United Church of Canada has thrown the Bible to the wind, and conforms itself by the decade to the liberal values of those times.

The Conservative members have left decades ago.

My local branch believes God could be a woman, their is no Hell, and their are many ways to Heaven. And their even may be no God!

No respect for this church.

Roman Catholic Church
My issues with the Catholic Church in short are:

1) Confession....yeah, so we can pray to God, but when it comes to having sins forgiven it has to be filtered through a priest....yeah...right....its just a ploy to keep the church in the know of the happenings of the town/village/city, etc.

2) Hierarchy...I believe all Christians are EQUAL. I don't believe the Pope, or even Mary are better then other Christians. I believe all people that have accepted Christ as their savior are equal.

3) birth control...birth control doesn't kill babies, it prevents pregnancy from occurring...they only do this to keep the number of Catholics up...

Comments?
biggie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They openly support murder: "

Depends on your definition of murder...

I guess you are against Capital Punishment?

Quote:
No respect for this church.

Whether you agree with them or not; you should respect them.

Wouldn't you say they're still better than the "big bad atheists"? :twisted:
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:

I hope you aren't equating the killing of a murderer to the killing of an innocent child.
Riley W

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
biggie wrote:

I hope you aren't equating the killing of a murderer to the killing of an innocent child.

I have had this sentiment thrown to my face too.

Apparently is hypocritical to be against abortion but for capital punishment.

Like you said, the baby is born innocent, the criminal has been convicted without a doubt of killing another human being.

I wouldn't mind all the abortionists having similar abortion type operations performed on them as their capital punishment....
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up Anglican. I left after the priest held up the bible and said "there are no 1st century answers to 20th century problems"

All the people in the pews nodded there heads in agreement. I couldn't believe it.

Later I realized they nodded their heads cause they were all 80 years old and nodding off.
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
I grew up Anglican. I left after the priest held up the bible and said "there are no 1st century answers to 20th century problems"

All the people in the pews nodded there heads in agreement. I couldn't believe it.

Later I realized they nodded their heads cause they were all 80 years old and nodding off.

There are no 1st century answers to 20th century problems. The bible is timeless, but not everything from the bible can be taken word by word and applied directly to modern day life. Like old laws, it needs to be interpreted for modern issues.

I dunno if thats how the priest looked at it, or whether he was an idiot, but that's the way i look at it.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:
There are no 1st century answers to 20th century problems.

What?!? So the words of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle are useless today simply because they are old. Perhaps if we took the word of the Bible and other centuries old scriptures MORE seriously we would have FEWER 20th century problems.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Ptolemy's research is useless in our history, so much for historic geography. :cry: Oh wait that's before the 1st century. :)
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, what i'm saying is, that allot of stuff from the bible can't be directly applied to real life. Instead we need to look at the bible and interpret what it means to life today. That doesn't make it worthless, *most* wisdom never becomes obsolete, it just needs to be transposed for modern day situations.

One of the things about the bible that is difficult however, is that jesus spoke in parables, which were easy to understand in his day, but some require quite a bit of explanation these days. So why a priest write a modern version of a biblical parable and use it in a sermon?
urbanmonk

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:

One of the things about the bible that is difficult however, is that jesus spoke in parables, which were easy to understand in his day, but some require quite a bit of explanation these days.

The parables confounded the 'religious people' in Jesus day too!
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:
No, what i'm saying is, that allot of stuff from the bible can't be directly applied to real life. Instead we need to look at the bible and interpret what it means to life today. That doesn't make it worthless, *most* wisdom never becomes obsolete, it just needs to be transposed for modern day situations.

One of the things about the bible that is difficult however, is that jesus spoke in parables, which were easy to understand in his day, but some require quite a bit of explanation these days. So why a priest write a modern version of a biblical parable and use it in a sermon?

Ah gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
Dauphin

Reputation: 41.7Reputation: 41.7Reputation: 41.7Reputation: 41.7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Christian Denominations I have Issues With Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:

Roman Catholic Church
My issues with the Catholic Church in short are:

1) Confession....yeah, so we can pray to God, but when it comes to having sins forgiven it has to be filtered through a priest....yeah...right....its just a ploy to keep the church in the know of the happenings of the town/village/city, etc.

If you have a problem with confession, your real problem is with the words of Christ as recorded by St. John:

"[Jesus] said to them again, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.' And then he breathed on them and said to them, 'Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained'" (John 20:21-23).

He conferred on the apostles the authority to forgive sins. That authority remains in the Catholic clergy today, who trace their sacramental orders back the apostles.

Quote:

2) Hierarchy...I believe all Christians are EQUAL. I don't believe the Pope, or even Mary are better then other Christians. I believe all people that have accepted Christ as their savior are equal.

The Catholic church agrees. All human beings are of absolutely equal value. To deny that Christ conferred a specific office of primacy on Peter, however, is quite simply to deny the Bible. To deny that Mary was "full of grace" when the Holy Spirit conceived the Word incarnate within her, is also to deny the truth of the Bible.
Quote:

3) birth control...birth control doesn't kill babies, it prevents pregnancy from occurring...they only do this to keep the number of Catholics up...

Nonsense. This is a teaching with strong roots from the earliest times of the Church. It is the only Christian position. If you look at the teachings of the early church fathers, you'll find a universal condemnation of birth control. Never will you find anything even aproaching the modern protestant position.

The Catholic church has never argued that birth control is murder, only that sex without consequences is essentially contrary to its design. It has every right to teach the faithful the correct and moral course of action. Contraception doesn't have to be declared murder for it to be wrong.
Riley W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do Catholics believe Protestants go to Hell, like I have heard other times before?
Dauphin

Reputation: 41.7Reputation: 41.7Reputation: 41.7Reputation: 41.7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
And do Catholics believe Protestants go to Hell, like I have heard other times before?

The Pope recently issued a document entitled "Responses to Some Questions Regarding Certain Aspects of the Doctrine on the Church". If you read it, it should help clarify this question. You can find it here:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_cu.....es_en.html

This passage might be of interest to you:

“It follows that these separated churches and Communities, though we believe they suffer from defects, are deprived neither of significance nor importance in the mystery of salvation. In fact the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as instruments of salvation, whose value derives from that fullness of grace and of truth which has been entrusted to the Catholic Church”

In short, the Catholic Church does not declare all protestants "damned".
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have a problem with confession, your real problem is with the words of Christ as recorded by St. John:

"[Jesus] said to them again, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.' And then he breathed on them and said to them, 'Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained'" (John 20:21-23).

Nothing wrong with confession in my book. In my(evangelical) church it is recommended that you have people you are accountable to(that you can confess your sin to).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: