Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Government plans to replace Hillier: Report Reply with quote

Quote:

Government plans to replace Hillier: Report

Canadian Press

October 2, 2007 at 10:27 PM EDT

TORONTO CTV News reports the Tory government plans to replace Gen. Rick Hillier as chief of defence staff when his three-year term expires in February.

Quoting Conservative insiders, CTV says the charismatic Hillier has irked the government by outshining his political masters and undermining former defence minister Gordon O'Connor.

When the armed forces held a private farewell ceremony for Mr. O'Connor in Ottawa on Tuesday, Gen. Hillier showed up late.

CTV's government sources said that was another example of the general's disrespect for his political bosses.

Some military observers say removing the popular commander would be risky, especially during the war in Afghanistan.

CTV says potential successors include Vice-Admiral Drew Robertson and Maj.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, although insiders say Lt.-Gen. Walter Natynczyk is likely to get the top job because the prime minister likes him.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....ional/home

Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please allow me some gloating time Winston! :)

I just wanted to say - I told you so! I've said all along that Hillier was undermining General O'Connor, the best defence minister we've had in decades.

Here's my assessment of it from back in August, just before the cabinet shuffle.
http://splatto.net/blog/?p=689

</end gloat>
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here's my gloating piece:
http://splatto.net/blog/?p=753
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't gloating a bit premature? Are these not the same people who predicted that there would be a spring election? Are these not just rumors of the type that get passed off as news on slow days?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So CTV is the authoritative source here? Riiiight. Forgive me if I wait and see what will actually happen.

PS. Quoting "Tory insiders"? Seems like a pretty subjective statement. Is it the party president, or that woman who started the dehor Harper website? Both have been called insiders by the MSM. Maybe the anonymous source is Joe 'Sour Grapes' Clark?
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackay just came out saying Hillier is going nowhere. That's all the CPC need is to dump him, after dumping O'Connor. It would look like the Afgan missionis in disarry.

That would take some of the heat off Dion.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacKay would be denying the rumors whether they were true or not (standard practice is to deny rumors), so what the government has to say is probably immaterial. Until they actually make an announcement.
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Isn't gloating a bit premature? Are these not the same people who predicted that there would be a spring election? Are these not just rumors of the type that get passed off as news on slow days?

Nope, different people. The media and opposition predicted there'd be a spring election, whilst all government sources denied there'd be one. This time some government sources are claiming they've been unhappy with Hillier and showing up late to his former boss' ceremony here in Ottawa yesterday.

I volunteer often in O'Connor's riding and I've been hearing grumblings from some about him being undermined as far back as Canada Day, and it was those grumblings by the "riding elders" (Tories in the riding holding membership cards for decades) that eventually led me to examine his public statements. I'm fairly certain that the sources are credible, and although the plans may change before then, I believe those are the plans as they currently stand.

Tell ya what - I'll bet you a beer, and next time I travel west or you come to Ottawa we can pay up ;)
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more reliable indicators would be, how many people in this post have been reappointed? If no one holds it for more than one term, then I would say he will be replaced, and his replacement is a non-issue. If almost everybody holds it for multiple terms, only then does his replacement becomes a bit of a big deal, or mean anything. Who were the last few people who held the post, and how many terms did they serve?
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be suprised if this happened. I was a fan of Hillier's appointment initially, he was combat arms, popular with the troops, and not afraid to say what he thought. However, I think he clashed too much and too openly with O'Connor. That's a shame, as he was probably the best Minister the forces had for decades.

Jump to: