Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Craig
Site Admin




Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 4415
Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Liberal civil war - will they be decimated in next election? Reply with quote

With the Liberals pull a Kim Campbell in the next election and turn their party into rubble?

It is starting to look that way...

Quote:
And a candidate who was set to run for the party called The Canadian Press without any prompting - saying he was asked to do so by a well-known Liberal - and announced he was no longer interested.

Paul Leduc, a three-term mayor of a large Montreal suburb, says that he's changed his mind about running for the Liberals and that one of the party's household names provided him with phone numbers for journalists and urged him to go public with his story.

The former Brossard mayor had been endorsed in April by the Liberals' provincial election commission to run without a contested nomination - but he said Dion kept him cooling his heels all summer.

"I never heard any news from Mr. Dion or his entourage," Leduc said.

"A leader who doesn't follow a recommendation, I call that inaction and indecision and it's a lack of respect not only for me, but also for the commission, and for members of my riding."

Leduc's decision not to run follows a similar one from astronaut Marc Garneau.


http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Ca.....90-cp.html
urbanmonk





Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 307
Reputation: 16.8Reputation: 16.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this sort of thing and what we saw during the last election new for the Liberals?
I always thought they were quite good at sticking together in order to gain or hold power.
...at any rate a fall election would be nice :~)
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite this, the MSM keep reassuring us that the Liberals are still polling equally to the Conservatives. It reminds me of a short story I read years ago where a guy discovers his next door neighbour's opinions mirrors the polls in the local newspaper exactly... and proceeds to influence public opinion by manipulating his neighbour... until his neighbour catches on...

-Mac
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, there are too many people out there who care about the Liberal party more than they care about anything else. Too man people willing to excuse anything in the name of Liberalism. I do not think it is possible for them to go below 60 seats, even if Dion walked into a school and machine gunned students. He would be forgiven because they were Conservative supporters or something.

PS. What are the absolute beyond question Liberal safe seats? There is one in Regina. Ralph Goodale will continue to be elected until long after he is dead. It is impossible for that guy to lose his seat, no matter what happens.

Pipe in with the safe seats from your regions of the country.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying I disagree with you but I attribute that 60 seat "guarantee" to something else. There are many voters who truly don't care about the issues, don't care who is in charge of the party, don't care how venal or corrupted the Liberals were, are or will be. They vote Liberal because they've always voted Liberal. Their father & mother vote Liberal as did the generation before them... and the generation before that... etc...

Perhaps a machine gun incident might influence that crowd but I wouldn't bet on it.

-Mac
Hasdrubal





Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Posts: 1112
Reputation: 66
votes: 5
Location: Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to stop Liberalism in this country is to simply breed them out.
Craig
Site Admin




Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 4415
Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Nope, there are too many people out there who care about the Liberal party more than they care about anything else. Too man people willing to excuse anything in the name of Liberalism. I do not think it is possible for them to go below 60 seats, even if Dion walked into a school and machine gunned students. He would be forgiven because they were Conservative supporters or something.

PS. What are the absolute beyond question Liberal safe seats? There is one in Regina. Ralph Goodale will continue to be elected until long after he is dead. It is impossible for that guy to lose his seat, no matter what happens.

Pipe in with the safe seats from your regions of the country.


I can't imagine there are more than 20 nationally that are safer than Outremont was.
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They vote Liberal because they've always voted Liberal. Their father & mother vote Liberal as did the generation before them... and the generation before that... etc...


Agreed... I've got a buddy, whom when I discuss values or finances or foreign affairs with, is very clearly conservative. Yet, the minute we approach anything specific in terms of policy or party, he becomes an ardent Liberal supporter. Same with his father, who is extremely conservative fiscally and socially. But the Liberals were in power when he immigrated, so that's where he parked his vote.

I think it explains a lot of east coast support for the Libs too. As far as I can tell, the Liberals haven't done them any favours, but some of their families have been voting Liberal for generations.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I think it explains a lot of east coast support for the Libs too. As far as I can tell, the Liberals haven't done them any favours, but some of their families have been voting Liberal for generations.

As you might remember, I'm originally from the Maritimes. Socialism has set it's hooks fairly deeply down home which is why the NDP picked up votes when AdScam broke open... but pretty soon, they'll be back to voting Liberal.

Ask them to justify not voting for the Conservatives and they'll claim they're still stinging over Stephen Harper's comments about “Atlantic Canada’s culture of defeat..." even as they admit it's true.

-Mac
urbanmonk





Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 307
Reputation: 16.8Reputation: 16.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
FF_Canuck wrote:
I think it explains a lot of east coast support for the Libs too. As far as I can tell, the Liberals haven't done them any favours, but some of their families have been voting Liberal for generations.

As you might remember, I'm originally from the Maritimes. Socialism has set it's hooks fairly deeply down home which is why the NDP picked up votes when AdScam broke open... but pretty soon, they'll be back to voting Liberal.

Ask them to justify not voting for the Conservatives and they'll claim they're still stinging over Stephen Harper's comments about “Atlantic Canada’s culture of defeat..." even as they admit it's true.

-Mac


That just about sums up the the sad truth!
Years of hand holding by both Governments has taken it's toll.
It would take a generation of 'tough love' to change attitudes!
mrsocko





Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Posts: 2463
Reputation: 131.2
votes: 8
Location: Southwestern Ontario

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pipe in with the safe seats from your regions of the country.


Every seat in Newfoundland. I was going to say Nova Scotia too but I don't think Mackay can lose. Strange that the Grees/Libs would pick the only seat in these two provinces we can't lose to co-operate in. Shows how smart Dion is.
Riley W





Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 857
Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10
Location: Manitoba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think Newfoundland and N. S. will shut out the Tories with the exception of MacKay?
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
You think Newfoundland and N. S. will shut out the Tories with the exception of MacKay?

In the last election, Newfoundland elected 4 Liberals and 3 Conservatives; Nova Scotia elected 6 Liberals, 3 Conservatives and 2 Dippers. I would be surprised to see the Liberals sweep either of them.

PEI typically votes against whoever is incumbent provincially (go figure :roll:) and since they just elected a Liberal government provincially, they might go Conservative but currently, it's a Fed-Liberal sweep.

New Brunswick elected 6 Liberals, 3 Conservatives and 1 Dipper.

Tally all of these provinces... 32 seats... and you'll see why federal government don't spend much time campaigning in the Atlantic provinces.

-Mac
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PEI typically votes against whoever is incumbent provincially (go figure ) and since they just elected a Liberal government provincially, they might go Conservative but currently, it's a Fed-Liberal sweep.


Someone I know from Charlottetown recently commented that PEI is still one of those places where voting for the wrong person can literally mean the new road stops at your property line ... politicans apparently know the entire voting history of their constituents and 'work the system' accordingly.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Someone I know from Charlottetown recently commented that PEI is still one of those places where voting for the wrong person can literally mean the new road stops at your property line ... politicans apparently know the entire voting history of their constituents and 'work the system' accordingly.

Absolutely true; it's one of the downsides to having such a small population. Most provincial politicians are able to cite a couple of generations of the familial history of the voters in their ridings and which way the family "traditionally" votes. The federal and provincial riding associations are usually the same people although they nominate separately. I have some family on PEI and talking politics gets fiery since it's taken so personally.

-Mac
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Liberal civil war - will they be decimated in next election?

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB