Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Being gay - choice vs. genetics Reply with quote

This is a continuation from another thread :

gc wrote:
Then why is it that we are so attracted to the opposite sex? What causes it? Why have I been attracted to women for as long as I can remember (which is probably since I was about 3 or 4 years old)?

Craig wrote:
It is a biological imperitive. There is no particular gene that represents it. I don't think we should hijack this thread but I've always contended that genetics can predispose someone to being gay by, for instance, presenting different hormone balances. But at the end of the day a gay person made a choice to be gay. Which is why including it in comparisons to skin color is invalid.

What exactly do you mean by "biological imperative"? What causes this imperative if not genetics? There must be some reason beyond my control that I am straight. I did not choose to be straight, I have been attracted to women since long before I knew anything about sexuality or sexual orientation.

Personally though, I don't think it matters. It does not change my opinion on the subject.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is beastiality genetic?

Is pedophilia genetic?

Does anyone take "offense" if I suggest that beatiality is a choice? I guess we can't blame pedophiles since the genes made them do it - no choice involved there.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Is beastiality genetic?

Is pedophilia genetic?

Probably. But getting back to my question, what causes this biological imperative?
gc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
I guess we can't blame pedophiles since the genes made them do it - no choice involved there.

Pedophiles cause harm to innocent children. I don't care if it is a choice or not, they deserve to be punished. Homosexuality between consenting adults does not harm anyone, which is why I don't care if it is a choice or not.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Craig wrote:
Is beastiality genetic?

Is pedophilia genetic?

Probably. But getting back to my question, what causes this biological imperative?

A combination of social pressures and genetics. It is natural for any species to marginalize any behaviour that weakens the species. That is what a biological imperitive is. And that is why it is natural and acceptable to oppose homosexuality. Does it mean we should treat them poorly? No. But it means that homosexuality is not equal to heterosexuality and shouldn't be considered to be.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Craig wrote:
I guess we can't blame pedophiles since the genes made them do it - no choice involved there.

Pedophiles cause harm to innocent children. I don't care if it is a choice or not, they deserve to be punished. Homosexuality between consenting adults does not harm anyone, which is why I don't care if it is a choice or not.

I don't care if you "care" if it is a choice or not. You didn't answer the question. Is it a choice.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do bisexuals have half of the gay gene?
truth4freedom

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Homosexuality between consenting adults does not harm anyone, which is why I don't care if it is a choice or not.

It harms the children that grow up around it. Study after study confirms that the best environment for a child to grow up in is a home with a married mother and father.

It also harms my pocket book. The average treatment cost for an HIV positive person approaches 700K and as you live in a socialized medicine state and ours is nearly 50% subsidized by taxes I have a legitimate reason to want to discourage it. HIV is predominately a homosexual disease, proven by science and even admitted by some of its greatest proponents.

There is nothing even approaching conclusive scientific or even theoretical evidence to suggest that homosexuality is anything more than a hyper sexualized, narcissistic lifestyle choice. It has nothing to do with genetics as far as science is concerned.

The average life expectancy for homosexuals is mid to late 50's where heterosexuals live an average of upper 70's. That means they are contributing far less to society.

If you believe in macro evolution then it is a no brainier, they are toast and a burden to the advancement of the species.

Need I go on?
gc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
A combination of social pressures and genetics.

I did not have any social pressures to be straight or gay when I was young, and if I did I had no control over them, so I did not choose to be straight.

Quote:
It is natural for any species to marginalize any behaviour that weakens the species. That is what a biological imperitive is. And that is why it is natural and acceptable to oppose homosexuality. Does it mean we should treat them poorly? No. But it means that homosexuality is not equal to heterosexuality and shouldn't be considered to be.

Should we marginalize people who are born with genetic diseases? Should we not treat them as equals?
gc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

I don't care if you "care" if it is a choice or not. You didn't answer the question. Is it a choice.

I did answer the question, I said it is not a choice.

Craig wrote:
Do bisexuals have half of the gay gene?

There is no one gay gene, it is much more complicated than that. There is likely many genes involved. So yes, bisexuals may have some "straight genes" and some "gay genes".
gc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truth4freedom wrote:
It harms the children that grow up around it. Study after study confirms that the best environment for a child to grow up in is a home with a married mother and father.

So you have no issues with homosexuality unless they adopt?

Quote:
It also harms my pocket book. The average treatment cost for an HIV positive person approaches 700K and as you live in a socialized medicine state and ours is nearly 50% subsidized by taxes I have a legitimate reason to want to discourage it. HIV is predominately a homosexual disease, proven by science and even admitted by some of its greatest proponents.

Do you treat skiers any differently than someone who doesn't ski? Do you treat someone who eats at McDonalds any differently than you treat someone who eats healthy?

Quote:
It has nothing to do with genetics as far as science is concerned.

Do you believe heterosexuality has anything to do with genetics?

Quote:
The average life expectancy for homosexuals is mid to late 50's where heterosexuals live an average of upper 70's. That means they are contributing far less to society.

If that's true, and I'm not sure that it is, it means they are actually contributing more to society. Most of the "contributions" a person makes in their lifetime is in their 20's-50's or 60's. Beyond that they are taking resources including health care, so you should be happy for homosexuals as they will not cost you as much money.

Quote:
If you believe in macro evolution then it is a no brainier, they are toast and a burden to the advancement of the species.

How so?
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If choice doesn't enter the equation then why do many straight people become gay and many gay people become straight? If it was controlled by genes they would not be able to do so.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without citing scientific peer-reviewed articles on one side or the other, the only thing that is happening here is people stating opinion of what they "feel" to be the truth.
gc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
If choice doesn't enter the equation then why do many straight people become gay and many gay people become straight? If it was controlled by genes they would not be able to do so.

Again, there are likely many genes involved. Those people probably only have some of the "gay genes", so they are in a grey area between being fully straight or fully gay. Or it could be that they were gay all along but were afraid of being judged, or it could be that they are still gay but afraid of being judged. I can only speculate though, I've never known anyone who has gone from being gay to being straight, or vice-versa.
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a choice.

Who 'chooses' to be abnormal, a social outcast, hated by some people.

Nobody chooses that.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: