Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Christopher Hitchens on his new book: god isn't Great Reply with quote

You can watch the 3 hour interview on CSPAN here

http://www.booktv.org/program......ayMedia=No
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't tell me your an atheist too :(

Generally I think the state (country) shouldn't give any preferential treament to any church or religion, but Canada should recognize overwhelmingly that:

Their is a supreme deity.

We already sort of do with:

1) Preamble of the constitution
2) 'O Canada' has a line that says "God keep our land"
3) Default in court is to swear on the Bible to God.

Anyways their is a God I know it, I can`t prove God, I can though show reasonable logic FOR a God.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
Please don't tell me your an atheist too :(

Generally I think the state (country) shouldn't give any preferential treament to any church or religion, but Canada should recognize overwhelmingly that:

Their is a supreme deity.

We already sort of do with:

1) Preamble of the constitution
2) 'O Canada' has a line that says "God keep our land"
3) Default in court is to swear on the Bible to God.

Anyways their is a God I know it, I can`t prove God, I can though show reasonable logic FOR a God.

I come from an Agnostic/Secular Iranian family and am an Agnostic for sure. I don't think I'll ever be an Atheist. I dont know much about it yet!

Moreover, I think you really need to read that book to be able to see if ur beliefs can stand those challenges he talks about in those chapters
Riley W

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never going to read a book that slaps the face of me and my beliefs.

This is my logic for a God:

1) We all have this universal sense of Right and Wrong.

Murder is wrong. Thats universal. How so? I say God.

2) Something had to initiate it all. Look at it this way. Did the Mona Lisa just come about? No Leonardo DaVinchi designed/created it.

Did the phone just come about? Nope, Alexander Graham Bell designed/created it.

You can apply design/creation to EVERYTHING.

Why is it that it can't be applied to the universe?

Seems like a handy omission for atheists, eh?

3) The belief of Christianity is so highly documented. Jesus Christ came to this earth (and almost everyone knows their was a Jesus of Nazereth, dispute is whether or not he was God-like or not) and performed so many miracles and so many lessons for all man.

Which we have in a Bible.

Other old texts from Egyptian time, etc. are taken as historical fact...how come the Bible is just dismissed?

It was documented by people who witnessed or were told of things.

Others demand tons of proof to put their faith in God.

For me it was as simple as looking up at the night sky.

Looking at all those magnificent stars...I always knew their had to be more.
Zak

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2) Something had to initiate it all. Look at it this way. Did the Mona Lisa just come about? No Leonardo DaVinchi designed/created it.

so who created your god?

Using your logic someone/something must have. If you want to argue that your god always existed, then how is that any different then when atheists claim the universe always existed (in its current arrangment since the big bang).[/quote]
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zak wrote:
Quote:

so who created your god?

Using your logic someone/something must have. If you want to argue that your god always existed, then how is that any different then when atheists claim the universe always existed (in its current arrangment since the big bang).
[/quote]

It isn't. But your explanation is no better than ours.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
Murder is wrong. Thats universal. How so? I say God.

God also says that homosexuality is wrong. I guess God is only right some of the time?
Riley W

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your atheist too Craig?

:(

Zak, a supreme deity has no boundaries or rules, it doesn't have to have science or human logic applied to it.

Something HAD to create/design the universe, and that thing is God.

And God is a supreme deity and doesn't have to be created/designed because he is already a supreme deity that human logic/science does not need to apply too.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Something HAD to create/design the universe, and that thing is God.

The ultimate chicken/Egg argument.

If the Universe exists, if we are here, then God can also exist. No one knows how the universe was created. No one knows how God came to be. But the universe is here and I beleive in it. God has performed many miracles in my life so I believe in him. When I called on him he answered my prayers. Personal experience with God means I don't have to ask the hard questions anymore.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
I'm never going to read a book that slaps the face of me and my beliefs.

This is my logic for a God:

Then why are you challenging his beliefs if you won't have yours challenged?
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchens is an idiot. He argues against something he does not understand. In an interview I saw a few weeks ago, he stated that if there is a God and if he is wrong, he'll just explain to God why he didn't believe. He figures God will find his "honesty" acceptable. The guy not only thinks he would be able to open his mouth, he actually thinks he can bluff the Almighty... which just goes to show how inadequate his definition of God is.

--Ruth
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
Hitchens is an idiot. He argues against something he does not understand. In an interview I saw a few weeks ago, he stated that if there is a God and if he is wrong, he'll just explain to God why he didn't believe. He figures God will find his "honesty" acceptable. The guy not only thinks he would be able to open his mouth, he actually thinks he can bluff the Almighty... which just goes to show how inadequate his definition of God is.

--Ruth

Well, god doesnt exist so he shouldn't worry!
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atheism percentages around the world:
http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

Winston, the difference between an atheist and agnostic to me is that an agnostic states they can't know if God exists, which also includes atheists and to be technical many who believe in God too.

An atheist states there is no evidence that God exists, so why consider God.
A great Youtube video on atheism is here. It is only 2 minutes long:

http://video.google.com/videop.....;plindex=1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
Atheism percentages around the world:
http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

Winston, the difference between an atheist and agnostic to me is that an agnostic states they can't know if God exists, which also includes atheists and to be technical many who believe in God too.

An atheist states there is no evidence that God exists, so why consider God.
A great Youtube video on atheism is here. It is only 2 minutes long:

http://video.google.com/videop.....;plindex=1

Thanks!
Riley W

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOS ANGELES It's a popular notion that Islam is the world's fastest-growing religion, and Christianity is on the decline.

But it's not true, according to information that suggests both faiths are expanding worldwide, with Christianity on the rise in places like South America, Asia and especially Africa.

"It's not a dying religion. Christianity is a vital religion," according to the Rev. Cecil Murray, of the First AME Church of Los Angeles.

Christianity's supporters say news reports on the scandals in the Catholic Church, which recently led to the resignation of Boston's Bernard Cardinal Law, have painted an incomplete picture of the religion. They argue that in many developing countries, the Bible's word is actually booming.

The media has focused too much on problems within the religion, say some.

"They're much more interested in what's wrong with Christianity and not in where it's flourishing, and where it is vital," said Father Thomas Rausch, of Loyola Marymount University. "The third world, the Southern Hemisphere is mostly poor, and it's in these countries where Christianity is mushrooming."

The numbers cited by certain experts seem to support that argument. Christianity was rare at the turn of the century in Africa, but some say almost half of the continent -- as many as 360 million people -- now worships Jesus.

Rev. Murray sees those gains as the successful result of decades of missionary work across the continent. "I think it is strong in Africa because Christians went to Africa in the last 75 to 80 years," he said.

Specific figures on the number of religious adherents vary widely. There are, of course, sharp divisions among sects and denominations within both Islam and Christianity that make it much tougher to determine overall numbers.

A huge majority of the world's Muslims are Sunni, the dominant branch of the religion across most of the Arab world and in many non-Arab Muslim nations like Pakistan, Turkey and Indonesia. Shiites, the majority in Iran and an important minority in countries like Iraq, are much smaller in number but tend to be viewed as more fundamentalist and extremist by many Sunnis.

Christianity, meanwhile, is split along Catholic-Protestant lines. And while the Catholic Church is a tightly organized hierarchy, there are a wide variety of Protestant denominations that compete with both the Vatican and each other for adherents to their specific brand of Christianity.

But whatever the case, most experts agree Christianity does have the most believers. And recent reports estimate that by 2025, that gap will widen even further, making Christianity by far the world's largest religion.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,74563,00.html

I hope this sheds some light on the issue.

Christianity is going nowhere, it will continue to prosper and grow in this world until every person knows of Jesus Christ!

The power is in his hands!

Praise God!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: