Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Craig
Site Admin




Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 4415
Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Liberal strategy to squeeze out the NDP has failed Reply with quote

The Liberal strategy to move their party to the left in order to kill the NDP has failed. The election of a supposedly green left-wing leader was intended to kill Green momentum and the NDP. Unfortunately, Dion failed to inspire, failed to lead, and failed to organize his party. He failed on ALL accounts. And as a result it is the NDP that has put the squeeze on the Liberals. The NDP is now a national party. They are strong in the west, strong in the east, strong in urban and northern ontario and now they have a foothold in Quebec.

With an impotent Liberal "leader", the NDP might not be too eager to have an election. They can continue to build on their momentum. A spring election is probably in their best interest.
Riley W





Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 857
Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10
Location: Manitoba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Liberal strategy to squeeze out the NDP has failed Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The Liberal strategy to move their party to the left in order to kill the NDP has failed. The election of a supposedly green left-wing leader was intended to kill Green momentum and the NDP. Unfortunately, Dion failed to inspire, failed to lead, and failed to organize his party. He failed on ALL accounts. And as a result it is the NDP that has put the squeeze on the Liberals. The NDP is now a national party. They are strong in the west, strong in the east, strong in urban and northern ontario and now they have a foothold in Quebec.

With an impotent Liberal "leader", the NDP might not be too eager to have an election. They can continue to build on their momentum. A spring election is probably in their best interest.


Could we see the Liberals reduced to 3rd party status, and have the NDP as our official opposition next parliamnet? :P
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the fall of landslide Annie in the last general election, the Liberal party has not been a national party for some time now. I cynically note that when the CPC had no seats in Quebec, there were daily reports to that effect.
TealTories





Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 473
Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7
votes: 1
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
With the fall of landslide Annie in the last general election, the Liberal party has not been a national party for some time now. I cynically note that when the CPC had no seats in Quebec, there were daily reports to that effect.


But K being a fellow westerner, having no seats in Alberta vs no seats in Quebec is a completely different scenario, in the miniscule minds of MSM.
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are right; after all, English Canada has no culture, right? All you need to be a national party is a seat in Quebec.

Funny though, the NDP never had seats in Quebec (until today), and no one ever crossed the floor from them saying they were bad for national unity...
TealTories





Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 473
Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7
votes: 1
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I guess you are right; after all, English Canada has no culture, right? All you need to be a national party is a seat in Quebec.

Funny though, the NDP never had seats in Quebec (until today), and no one ever crossed the floor from them saying they were bad for national unity...


No we are all a bunch of rednecks K. Everyone wheres a cowboy hat in Calgary isnt that culture?
We dont have a seat in PEI either.
The NDP are bad for everything not just unity.

Anyway have to go shoot the bottles of my fence now.
Anyone seen my sidearm, oh yeah I left it in the nursery.
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is funny. I think you skewered all the stereotypes in one sentence. That takes some doing.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he misses the bottles, he might hit a gophur! :lol:

The NPD now holds a single seat in Quebec for the second time in history... but they've yet to hold a single seat in PEI. Provincially, the NDP elected one MLA for a single term back in the 1990s... and that's all.

Could the NDP bypass the Bloc and the Liberals? Unlikely but thought provoking... The Bloc, after all, took the worst beating in the byelections...

Could the Liberals be reduced to third party status behind the Bloc? Possibly but difficult to say...

The future of federal politics in Canada is in for some interesting times...

-Mac
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the history of our own party should teach us that no political force in this country lasts forever. I think the Bloc is on the way out, in a few years there will be no more BQ. They have been replaced, as the NDP replaced the CCF, and as Reform displaced the old PC party. If history is any guide, there will be a half hearted attempt to steal other people's ideas for maybe a decade, before the last member turns the lights out on the way out. The Liberal party is definitely in decline, has been for some time. Don't know if they will disappear, or be able to renew their vigor. I do know that once great parties should try to figure out when their time is up. CCF, Social Credit, the old PC party, a lot of people make fools of themselves trying to recapture past glory for years after it has been lost.

On a related note, anyone else think the Progressive Canadian party is just pathetic? They are the poster child for spent political force in this country. It is like watching old guys on dialysis at the Porsche dealership.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
On a related note, anyone else think the Progressive Canadian party is just pathetic? They are the poster child for spent political force in this country. It is like watching old guys on dialysis at the Porsche dealership.

The only difference is the old guys might actually be able to afford to buy the Porsche whereas the PCP are running on empty.

-Mac
mrsocko





Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Posts: 2463
Reputation: 131.2
votes: 8
Location: Southwestern Ontario

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could we see the Liberals reduced to 3rd party status, and have the NDP as our official opposition next parliamnet?


The dream scenario. We will be the natural governing party if this happens. The only problem is we will have the center all to ourselves and I want this party to be centre-right.
gc





Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Posts: 1698
Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16
Location: A Monochromatic World

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
With the fall of landslide Annie in the last general election, the Liberal party has not been a national party for some time now. I cynically note that when the CPC had no seats in Quebec, there were daily reports to that effect.


In your opinion, what makes a party a "national party" rather than a non-national party?
Craig
Site Admin




Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 4415
Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:
With the fall of landslide Annie in the last general election, the Liberal party has not been a national party for some time now. I cynically note that when the CPC had no seats in Quebec, there were daily reports to that effect.


In your opinion, what makes a party a "national party" rather than a non-national party?


A party capable of winning in all regions of the country. With the Liberal lose in Outremont they are on the verge of losing that ability in Quebec and they lost it in Alberta long ago. The Conservatives are the only party capable of winning seats in every province (except maybe PEI which shouldn't be a province anyway).
gc





Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Posts: 1698
Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16
Location: A Monochromatic World

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

A party capable of winning in all regions of the country. With the Liberal lose in Outremont they are on the verge of losing that ability in Quebec and they lost it in Alberta long ago. The Conservatives are the only party capable of winning seats in every province (except maybe PEI which shouldn't be a province anyway).


But how do you define a region? A province is an arbitrary definition of a region. As you noted, the Conservatives do not have a seat in PEI, though you believe that PEI should not be a province (presumably because it doesn't have a large population?). On the other hand, Toronto is not a province, but it's population is much more than that of many provinces. Does that make Toronto a region?
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would just classify any party that can get 10% of the vote nationally as a national party, regardless of electoral success or seat count. In this thread, I am going by the definition that the MSM applied to reform, Alliance, and now the CPC, but no other party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Liberal strategy to squeeze out the NDP has failed

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB