Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the polls today show:

Ontario Libs: 40%
Ontario PC: 34%
Ontario NDP - 17%

They are 6 points behind.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tory held back over religious schools plan: poll

toronto.ctv.ca

Despite popularity among the electorate enjoyed by Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory, his proposal to fund faith-based schools was "dead-on-arrival" for the large majority of Ontarians.

A new poll suggests the issue may be the biggest factor that could hold Tory back from becoming crowned the new premier of Ontario when voters head to the ballot box Oct. 10.

According to the poll conducted by The Strategic Counsel for CTV and The Globe and Mail: approximately two-thirds (71 per cent) of Ontarians say that they oppose the funding of private, faith-based schools. Just 26 per cent are in favour.

The main reasons for opposing the extension of public funds to private, faith-based schools:

* a strong desire not to mix religion and education (33 per cent); and
* a concern that the public education system isn't currently adequately funded (25 per cent).

On the other hand, 44 per cent of those in favour point to fairness, given that Catholic schools are already funded. Twenty-one per cent also say that funds for education should be distributed among all religious groups across Ontario.

The issue, which Liberal Leaders Dalton McGuinty described on Monday as a "grenade" lobbed into the education debate, could be the deal breaker for Tory that would keep him and his party in opposition.

It's a significant point given that the polls show Ontarians are ambivalent about the McGuinty government.
<a href="http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20070917/ontelection_poll_070917/20070917?hub=TorontoHome">Source</a>
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the same link:

How would Ontarians vote today in a provincial election?

* Liberal candidate - 47 per cent
* Progressive Conservative candidate - 35 per cent
* NDP candidate - 15 per cent
* Green candidate - 3 per cent
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically in Ontario the Tories ALWAYS make gains from the first day of the election to voting day.

Every election I can find data on seems to support this, with that said if all holds true I could see a strong Tory minority,
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
From the same link:

I am sure the Toronto Star and CBC echoed those statements....
As I have always said about "closed" polls, you have to look at who you are polling.
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:
From the same link:

As I have always said about "closed" polls, you have to look at who you are polling.

You stated that Ontario doesn't care. I'm telling you they do. I'm talking to many people about this, and most are pissed, except for Catholics who know what will happen next, thanks to Tory making this an issue. Many Cons will vote Liberal, and many people who wouldn't normally vote, will vote...and most won't be voting Tory.

Tory cannot win. If he does I will have to move or I will stop paying taxes....but Tory doesn't have a hope in hell, so I'll stay and pay my taxes like a good secularist.
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:
From the same link:

Lol, the more you go on about this... the more excited I get about John Tory winning. 8)

You stated that Ontario doesn't care. I'm telling you they do. I'm talking to many people about this, and most are pissed, except for Catholics who know what will happen next, thanks to Tory making this an issue. Many Cons will vote Liberal, and many people who wouldn't normally vote, will vote...and most won't be voting Tory.

Tory cannot win. If he does I will have to move or I will stop paying taxes....but Tory doesn't have a hope in hell, so I'll stay and pay my taxes like a good secularist.
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:

Lol, the more you go on about this... the more excited I get about John Tory winning. 8)
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:

You can dream about winning the lottery too. Same chance. :D

Oh, and I don't think it is necessary to close threads because you don't like the way they are going. If people don't want to comment the threads will die on their own regardless if they go off topic or not.

Are you a book burner too?
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theatheistjew wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
theatheistjew wrote:
From the same link:

Do you need some help to get off that cross? or are you ok?

CTV, CBC and the Star readers and viewers are against a PC party of Ontario platform item? I am in shock.

The latest straight cold calling polling data came out after the platform point was unveiled and Tory gained another three points.

While I am sure there are some people who take issue with this, they seem to not be effecting the polls, or perhaps they are? maybe Tory would have had a 5% jump had he not gone in this direction, but with that said maybe it he would have not gained some of the former undecided voters he did and may have dropped.

And again with all due respect I don't consider "the people you talk to" to be as creditable as the various polling agencies that has charted a Tory climb.

You stated a few weeks ago this would kill Tory, and two polls later and two gains later he is still kicikin'

Sure some folks in Ontario may dislike the concept, but many of us would rather focus on other more important issue with the election pending.
Riley W

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lets get this straight:

The majority of Ontario citizens want a 100% secular school system.

The Libs are for status quo, which discriminates towards Roman Catholics.

The Tories are for offering public funding to ALL faith based schools - thus ending the discrimination.

I don't know where the NDPs stand, and I know the Greens are for 100% secular school system.

So if its between the Libs and the Tories between most voters, whos side do you prefer?

The Libs discriminating towards the Catholics, or the Tories making it equal?

I would hope most would choose the Tories.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what BEAJ says, I don't think that you could find 100 people who are either angry, or elated about this move. I personally know of only one person who is genuinely angry about this; BEAJ himself. Everyone else seems to not care so much about it. Even Dalton McGuinty is less angry than BEAJ.
Riley W

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is "BEAJ"?
theatheistjew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
Who is "BEAJ"?

Me. Bacon Eating Atheist Jew.

And no, I don't go with the "logic" of "fairness" with respect to Tories plan. If he wants fairness, he too should say bye to Catholic school funding.

I'll ask again. What percent of Catholic school kids go to Catholic schools? I don't know, but I'm assuming over 75%. How many would go if it wasn't funded?
What will stop 75% of Ontario children or whatever that number is, from attending a school that fits with their parents beliefs?
How is Ontario going to afford funding a Mormon board, a Baptist board, a Jewish board, a Muslim board? Who is going to pay for new schools that will spring up out of "fairness" Oh, and are private secular schools going to get funded too? It is only "fair"

Tory can't think ahead one move. We don't need a leader like that.

And yes, unfortunately I think he would have won, and I would have voted for him if not for this idiotic move.

The only thing fair is one publicly funded school system.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and I don't think it is necessary to close threads because you don't like the way they are going. If people don't want to comment the threads will die on their own regardless if they go off topic or not.

Are you a book burner too?

He just burns broken records. :lol:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: