Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Men are definitely different than women...

Actually, I've never really believed in assertions like this. Gender is only one aspect of a person's makeup. There's also religion, race/ethnicity, cultural background, personality and other stuff like that.
Are men smarter? This guy thinks so. But then, he's an economist (NOT a real degree) and I have an MSc in Computer Science. You tell me. :lol:

--Ruth
Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HhPHCT-Kes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jLN5OFZntM&NR
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:
Men are definitely different than women...

Actually, I've never really believed in assertions like this. Gender is only one aspect of a person's makeup. There's also religion, race/ethnicity, cultural background, personality and other stuff like that.
Are men smarter? This guy thinks so. But then, he's an economist (NOT a real degree) and I have an MSc in Computer Science. You tell me. :lol:

--Ruth

Although I agree that gender is not the only reason for difference - women absolutely are different than men. Women have instincts and abilities that are different than men. Accepting and embracing differences allows us to become equal. To deny the differences is to deny reality and will never end in equality.
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
Although I agree that gender is not the only reason for difference - women absolutely are different than men. Women have instincts and abilities that are different than men. Accepting and embracing differences allows us to become equal. To deny the differences is to deny reality and will never end in equality.

I am not completely denying differences, I am just saying that gender is not the only one. Obviously, there are physical differences and this does result in differences in some abilities. For example, women can bear children and breastfeed and men cannot. This doesn't necessarily make all women good or capable mothers however and it doesn't preclude some men from having more nuturing personalities than some women.
But, the original point was about intelligence. There are lots of people out there who hold to the opinion that women are naturally better at the arts and english and men are better at math and science. They use the fact that arts programmes attract more women and science/engineering programmes attract more men as proof. People either forget or gloss over the cultural factors that might attribute to this. For example, there is evidence to support the idea that the public education system is biased towards shunting boys or girls towards particular career paths. Also, more women stay at home to raise kids than men and this can affect their choices in education (although it didn't for me). Some would argue that men and women learn differently, but again, I would debate this. How you learn is affected by a lot more than gender.

--Ruth
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
biggie rection wrote:

I am not completely denying differences, I am just saying that gender is not the only one. Obviously, there are physical differences and this does result in differences in some abilities. For example, women can bear children and breastfeed and men cannot. This doesn't necessarily make all women good or capable mothers however and it doesn't preclude some men from having more nuturing personalities than some women.
But, the original point was about intelligence. There are lots of people out there who hold to the opinion that women are naturally better at the arts and english and men are better at math and science. They use the fact that arts programmes attract more women and science/engineering programmes attract more men as proof. People either forget or gloss over the cultural factors that might attribute to this. For example, there is evidence to support the idea that the public education system is biased towards shunting boys or girls towards particular career paths. Also, more women stay at home to raise kids than men and this can affect their choices in education (although it didn't for me). Some would argue that men and women learn differently, but again, I would debate this. How you learn is affected by a lot more than gender.

--Ruth

Yes, I agree.. There is certainly a great deal more to life choices, education, politics etc.. than gender. It is merely part of the equation.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: