Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Compact fluorescent lights and skin cancer? Reply with quote

Don't mean to alarm anyone but CFLs emit almost as much UV light as sunlight. The skin cancer foundation recommends wearing sun screen if in direct sunlight for any prolonged amount of time. Could CFLs cause skin cancer?

CFL use is on the rise and so is skin cancer rates. Is this something else that needs to be considered in this debate?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard that before, Craig. I wonder how the UV count compares between sunlight, CFLs, standard fluorescents and standard incandescent lights? I'll look it up tomorrow...

-Mac
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of skin cancer scares recently so I've become paranoid about the subject. I just learned about the CFLs yesterday and now I'm not sure about my decision to replace the lights in my house. Let me know if you find anything...

PS - Incandencents don't emit UV. I'm also looking at getting a UV filter sheet for the driver side of my car. Skin cancer rates are higher on the left side of people in North America and on the right side in Australia due to driving. Glass blocks UVB but not UVA light.
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia has a comprehensive article on ultraviolet including a section about fluorescent lamps and what spectrums they emit.

Strangely enough, GE says their CFLs don't emit dangerous amounts of UV. Here's their FAQ section about CFL hazards.

Different CFLs (available in a wide spectrum of colours) and standard fluorescents (also available in different colours) emit differing amounts of UV (a, b & c) so the type and colour you choose will make a significant difference in how much and what type of UV exposure you receive.

Remember, not all UV exposure is bad. In fact, selected UV is used for a variety of health therapies. It sounds like this is an area which hasn't been fully researched as yet. For someone who is sensitive to UV, that's not very good news, Craig, but that's what I'm finding.

I hope someone figures out how to produce LEDs which mimic natural light (without the damaging UV-C) soon!!

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to buy special fluorescent bulbs to get full spectrum light. I bought one to keep my plants alive when I lived in the basement suite. Worst part about basement suites? Sewage backups.

PS. This is just another example that shows government does not solve problems, they create them.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if I really want to know I could buy a personal UV detector...

http://www.walgreens.com/store.....rod2437073

Oh, and Rona sells static UV filters. You just them to the size of the window you want to cover and they cling to it. I'm getting it for my driver side car window.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a UVI meter. On a sunny morning at 10:30am in Calgary the UV index is 5 (moderate). When I put the meter directly under a CFL (1 cm from it) the UV index is 1. When I put the meter 3 feet from the source the index is 0. I guess the amount of UV is small.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Quote:
I've had a couple of skin cancer scares recently so I've become paranoid about the subject.

Hope everything is okay. I have been meaning to get some moles checked and your post prompted me to set up a doctor's appointment for Monday.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Craig wrote:
Quote:
I've had a couple of skin cancer scares recently so I've become paranoid about the subject.

Hope everything is okay. I have been meaning to get some moles checked and your post prompted me to set up a doctor's appointment for Monday.

Yeah. Things are fine. But after having those scares I'm a bit paranoid now. I went in to have a mole checked and two weeks later I got a call from the doctor asking me to come in to discuss the results (scary enough). When I arrived at her office her first words were...

"It's bad"

Well, it turns out it wasn't bad. The mole was dysplastic - which means precancerous and quite common. She referred me to a dermatologist and the dermotologist refused to see me because the pathology report didn't warrant it. So I got a second opinion from another doctor who said that she doesn't even consider dysplastic moles to be abnormal. She called the pathologist who said it was nothing to worry about.

So on the one hand I'm a little pissed at the first doctor who scared the crap out of me. But on the other hand I'm thankful because she scared the crap out of me. Since then I've had four other moles removed and all were fine. Waiting for the results is scary though - especially after the first incident I had.

It has had an impact on how I view my life.
Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, I thought of you when I read this article... CLICK!

It doesn't appear to be scientific but the concern is still being raised.

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about CFLs and migraines?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pag.....p;ito=1490
mltoryblue

Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont't know anything about UV exposure, but I do remember reading that the type of light CFL's produce cause an increase in depression.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe the Zoloft people are in on writing the light bulb ban laws too? So many people getting rich off of banning light bulbs, it is a wonder they did not try it before.
winchry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To stop climate change, and reduce dependance on foreign oil we need to stop fighting progressive measures such as CFLs. If we can live with the sun we can live with CFLs.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchry wrote:
If we can live with the sun we can live with CFLs.

There aren't many doctors who would recommend that fair skinned people spend extended periods unprotected in the sun. Unless you are prepared to wear sun screen while watching TV under the glow of your UV emitting CFLs then your comparison is naive at best.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: