Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Caffeine 'may cure skin cancer' Reply with quote

Good news for coffee drinkers...

Quote:
Researchers in the United States have found that caffeine combined with an extract from green tea can kill the disease in mice.

They have discovered that rubbing both substances onto the skin of mice stopped the cancer from spreading and killed all tumours.

the researchers applied two components of green tea - caffeine and an extract called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) - to the mice's skin.

They found that both substances had successfully tackled cancer. However, they believe that caffeine may be more effective because it is more stable chemically than EGCG.

Mr Conney said: "We may have found a safe and effective way of preventing skin cancer."

The researchers found that both caffeine and ECCG killed cancer cells without damaging any surrounding skin.

"The discovery of this selectivity was very exciting to us," said Mr Conney.

"Also in our study, it didn't matter if the tumours were benign or malignant. Cells in both were killed while leaving the normal cells alone."

I recently had some skin cancer scares (turned out not to be skin cancer) so this hits home for me. My wife treats cancer patients for a living so I know how scary this disease can be.

Wouldn't it be something if you could simply apply a caffeine cream to your suspicious looking moles to kill off any cells that might be cancerous. It might put a few dermatologists out of work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2211652.stm

For reference here is another article that shows an increase in apoptosis through caffeine ingestions. Apoptosis of damaged cells reduces the changes of the cell becoming cancerous...

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/short/104/31/12936

Jump to: