Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

So I'll address it AGAIN. That is NOT what he is saying. This is what he is saying...

"you deserve to go to jail for doing 'X', whereas I do not deserve to go to jail for doing 'X' TEN YEARS AGO

In that case, I'll refer you back to this post
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but there is a 40,000 words per post limit, and you went over it.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
truth4freedom wrote:
I am not the same person I was then. That was over a decade ago. Then, I deserved to get tossed away for a long time. Now, I do not participate in anything remotely as damaging as I did then. What is so hard to understand about that?

Great, next time a person is convicted of murder, they can use the defense "but I killed that person over a decade ago! I'm a different person now!"

And I'll remind you YET AGAIN that there is no statute of limitations on murder.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

And I'll remind you YET AGAIN that there is no statute of limitations on murder.

Two questions for you:

1. Apparently, you feel that there should be a statute of limitations on drug dealing, but not on murder. Why do you feel that should be the case?
2. This person had 10 years to turn himself in. Why didn't he turn himself in during that time?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
1. Apparently, you feel that there should be a statute of limitations on drug dealing, but not on murder. Why do you feel that should be the case?

Drug use, not drug dealing. Please keep the arguments straight. Doing drugs is different than commiting murder. If I have to explain to you why they should be treated differently I feel this topic is a lost cause.

Quote:
2. This person had 10 years to turn himself in. Why didn't he turn himself in during that time?

It absolutely blows my mind that you think someone should have to turn themselves into police before they are allowed to oppose something that they themselves have done in the past. I wish they had an emoticon for my mind blowing up because I really need one now.
gc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Drug use, not drug dealing. Please keep the arguments straight.

The person we are talking about has admitted to dealing drugs.

Quote:
Doing drugs is different than commiting murder. If I have to explain to you why they should be treated differently I feel this topic is a lost cause.

Of course I know that doing drugs is different than murder. I want to know why you think they are different.

Quote:

It absolutely blows my mind that you think someone should have to turn themselves into police before they are allowed to oppose something that they themselves have done in the past. I wish they had an emoticon for my mind blowing up because I really need one now.

You didn't answer the question.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Of course I know that doing drugs is different than murder. I want to know why you think they are different.

Because one involves killing another person. The other involves giving something to someone who asks for it.

Quote:
You didn't answer the question.

I support speed limits even though I occassionally speed. I oppose jaywalking even though I've done it. But I haven't turned myself in. Does that make me an "ass" :roll:
gc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Because one involves killing another person. The other involves giving something to someone who asks for it.

And how does this relate to why one should have a statute of limitations but not the other?

Quote:

I support speed limits even though I occassionally speed. I oppose jaywalking even though I've done it. But I haven't turned myself in. Does that make me an "ass" :roll:

No, it makes you a hypocrite.
truth4freedom

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an emoticon of a man banging his head against a wall or running in circles? :lol:
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
And how does this relate to why one should have a statute of limitations but not the other?

Because at some point I am willing to forgive a drug dealer. There is no point at which I'm willing to forgive a murderer. These are simple concepts.

Quote:
No, it makes you a hypocrite.

No. It would make me a hypocrite if I pretended that I never jaywalked but in fact I did.

definition of hypocrite...

"a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess,"

If I "pretended" that I didn't jaywalk but actually did THEN I would be hypocrite. If I opening acknowledged that I jaywalked in the past but told you that I think it should be illegal then I am NOT a hypocrite. At least pick the right words.

Since truth4freedom openly acknowledged that he did drugs in the past he is not a hypocrite because he is not claiming moral superiority. He acknowledges his mistakes AND THAT THEY WERE MISTAKES and agrees with the current law.

gc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

Because at some point I am willing to forgive a drug dealer. There is no point at which I'm willing to forgive a murderer. These are simple concepts.

You haven't explained why you can forgive a drug dealer, but not a murderer.

Quote:

definition of hypocrite...

"a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess,"

Exactly. You pretend to have beliefs when it comes to jaywalking, but in reality you don't.

Quote:
At least pick the right words.

We can debate the meaning of a word as long as you like, but I'll ask you again: Do you have a better word to describe someone who thinks that jaywalking should be illegal but who jaywalks themselves?
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Craig wrote:

You haven't explained why you can forgive a drug dealer, but not a murderer.

Actually I did. But I'll do it again because I'm a nice guy. The drug dealer fulfilled a request from someone else. The murderer killed someone against their will.

It is like saying that selling a gun to someone who kills themselves is equivilent to actually killing someone with a gun. Most definitely not. Some things are forgivable and others are not.

Quote:
Exactly. You pretend to have beliefs when it comes to jaywalking, but in reality you don't.

truth4freedom is not pretending to have virtues he doesn't possess. He didn't possess them 10 years ago and openly acknowledges that fact. But he does possess them now.

Quote:
Do you have a better word to describe someone who thinks that jaywalking should be illegal but who jaywalks themselves?

Not sure - but hypocrite is only accurate if I don't openly acknowledge that I jaywalk.

But I do have a word for someone who jaywalked 10 years ago and now thinks it should be illegal....

REFORMED
gc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The drug dealer fulfilled a request from someone else. The murderer killed someone against their will.

So, if a drug dealer is simply "fulfilling a request from someone else", do you really think that they deserve 5 or 10 years in prison?
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Craig wrote:
The drug dealer fulfilled a request from someone else. The murderer killed someone against their will.

So, if a drug dealer is simply "fulfilling a request from someone else", do you really think that they deserve 5 or 10 years in prison?

I think we are deviating from the point of the thread. If we want to start a thread about the validity of the statute of limitations I think it would be a good thread. The reality is that we do have a statute of limitations (at least truth4freedom does).

To answer your question. There are shades of wrong in our society. Dealing meth is worse than dealing pot in my opinion. The penalties should vary. Dealing drugs is wrong - but it is forgivable. One would presume that if someone dealt drugs 10 years ago but hasn't been caught since that maybe they've cleaned up their act - ergo the statute of limitations. Now murder is such a horific crime that I don't think forgiveness should ever be assumed or considered. The person they killed will never live again (even in 10 years) so the crime should never be forgiven.
gc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

To answer your question. There are shades of wrong in our society. Dealing meth is worse than dealing pot in my opinion. The penalties should vary. Dealing drugs is wrong - but it is forgivable. One would presume that if someone dealt drugs 10 years ago but hasn't been caught since that maybe they've cleaned up their act - ergo the statute of limitations. Now murder is such a horific crime that I don't think forgiveness should ever be assumed or considered. The person they killed will never live again (even in 10 years) so the crime should never be forgiven.

I think we can agree to some extent. It's obvious that murder is a much more horrific crime than dealing drugs, and that dealing drugs is forgivable. Using drugs, especially something as relatively harmless and non-addictive as marijuana, is even more forgivable. I don't think everyone should go out and smoke pot (I don't smoke the stuff myself), but I don't think we should be punishing people for something that does not do any harm to anyone else. To each his own.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

Jump to: