Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the CBC be privatized?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Should the CBC be privatized? Reply with quote

Should the CBC be privatized?

What are the other options?
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - in this day of age we don`t need the government providing content.

The private sector can fill all the content we need.

shut down, sell off.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBC bias goes to the highest bidder. Promise an extra hundred million over the next two years just before an election and see who they favor. It can be used as a tool to skirt financing laws.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago, in a thread called 'If I had a majority...', I had this to say:

Quote:
1) Sell the CBC and all assets to the highest bidder. Take this cash and use it for one time equipment purchases for the military (maybe a new destroyer or two). Effective immediately on sale, transfer the budget to DND, and raise the salaries of all NCMs and junior officers by $10,000 per year. Direct the rest to recruiting.

My opinion has not changed.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! The sooner, the better!! It's bad enough to have to deal with constant leftist bias in journalism... It's galling to be forced to pay for it.

Options? How about replacing the CBC CEO with a bureaucrat, striking a committee of subject matter experts to review and renew the CBC's direction and a civilian review committee? Everyone seems to think that's the best solution for the Mounties...

-Mac
cerl7011

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what...I would have to say NO to this...

I feel that the CBC is an integral part of Canadian culture. I cannot remember a trip up to the Muskokas without Stuart McLean telling one of his stories or going downtown without DNTO in the backround. I think that, with the heavy influence of American culture, we all need to endorse and support Canadian culture...

In saying that, I think the CBC should adopt a more PBS style of doing things...again, I believe in Half and Half. We, the people of Canada, donate money to the CBC and the gov't matches our amount...Massive fund drives, but at least they have public, community television.

It's a touchy subject, but I would have to say that, I'm a conservative who likes the CBC.

Plus, it was Friday Night Comedy on the CBC that sparked my interest in politics...

erl
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an underfunded mess. Get rid of it and keep the CBC News channel so we can get the National, Mercer and 22 minutes..., well maybe not 22 minutes (leftwing crap)

CBC is just the hockey channel for 8 months of the year anyway.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
It is an underfunded mess. Get rid of it and keep the CBC News channel so we can get the National, Mercer and 22 minutes..., well maybe not 22 minutes (leftwing crap)

I thought that CBC Newsworld was partially owned by Al Gore's media company. That is why it always shows left wing documentaries.
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
mrsocko wrote:

I thought that CBC Newsworld was partially owned by Al Gore's media company. That is why it always shows left wing documentaries.

Nope Your thinking of Newsworld International (CBC's attempt at BBC World)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC_Newsworld

CBC Newsworld is owned and operated by the CBC, but it has to be soley funded by the cable subscriber fees and commercial airtime income, and can't use the funding given to CBC TV.
biggie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:

Interesting that you include mercer without a leftwing crap comment...
I would say his show is the biggest source of leftwing crap around. Unfunny and loony to boot!
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't like Mercer. I think he's really funny. I used to think it was leftwing(he bashed the Tories in his rants) but in few of his rants he came out bashing the LIbs and Dips. I think he tries to stay balanced as to not scare away rightwing politians.

22 minutes on the other hand is offensive and unbalanced. They same the worst things about Conservatives(like the Star does) and just assumes everyone agrees with them.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
mrsocko wrote:

I thought they hated the Americans. :wink:
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:

Without Hockey Night in Canada the CBC would die, when TSN lost the contract hope for Conservatism took a blow. :cry:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell YES!
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
mrsocko wrote:

Interesting that you include mercer without a leftwing crap comment...
I would say his show is the biggest source of leftwing crap around. Unfunny and loony to boot!

No way Mercer is funny. There is no doubt he is a liberal but alot of his show isnt political and its hilarious.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: