Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Choose
Tories most similar to Democrats
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Tories most similar to Republicans
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Tories are in between these 2 U.S. parties
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Other
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: U.S. Democrats = Canadian Conservative Party? Reply with quote

I have heard this analogy before.

That Canada is so much further to the left than the United States that our Conservative party more resembles the United State's Democrat party.

Do you believe this, or do you disagree, your thoughts?

I sort of do believe it. Maybe its just Canadian politics, but Republicans talk about their faith, God, a Christian society with judeo-Christian philosophy, and they are way more socially Conservative (pro life, pro death penalty, pro traditional marriage)
Dmakin44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the Canadian Conservative party is in between the two. I think they most closely resemble a classic liberal philosophy. they are no where close to as social conservative as the republicans but they are way more socially conservative then the US democrats, they did hold a free vote on ssm and look at there crime stuff no where near that of the dems in the states. on the economic side they are more right wing then the dems in the states but i would less right the the republicans in they still support our progressive tax structures. i will admit the conservative party is probably more right on free trade then the republicans in the states. overall though i think there in the middle of the two closer to the center
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conservative party isn't like either the Democrat or the Republican parties.
Generally, I do not think one can compare Canadian politics with American politics and have a useful or meaningful discussion. I know, people do it all the time. However, the political atmosphere in Canada is very different from that of the US.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth wrote:
The Conservative party isn't like either the Democrat or the Republican parties.
Generally, I do not think one can compare Canadian politics with American politics and have a useful or meaningful discussion. I know, people do it all the time. However, the political atmosphere in Canada is very different from that of the US.

Very true...Canada is almost totally different from the US politically...They still have debates at the public level over abortion, capital punishment, etc. Canadian politics is consumed with keeping our nation together and other things, such as accountability...

I don't think us Tories can be put on par with any Yanquie party...

erl
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerl7011 wrote:
Ruth wrote:

Very true...Canada is almost totally different from the US politically...They still have debates at the public level over abortion, capital punishment, etc. Canadian politics is consumed with keeping our nation together and other things, such as accountability...

erl

Eh, their is still general public discussion in Canada on abortion and capital punishment.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
cerl7011 wrote:
Ruth wrote:

erl

Eh, their is still general public discussion in Canada on abortion and capital punishment.

A few special interest groups pushing an issue does not qualify as "general public discussion". Things like the environment, government accountability are considered general public discussion. There has not been a lot of Canadian politicians touching these abortion or capital punishment for quite some time, especially in today's minority government.

Outside of knowing the who's-who, I really don't follow US politics close enough to say how high the level of debate on abortion or capital punishment is or isn't.

While some public debates might differ, there are enough areas where one could compare politics between the US and Canada- taxation, foreign policy, health care, environment, free trade, etc. My vote is that the CPC is between the two. Dmakin44 seems to have to about right.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada, what we cal the center would be occupied by only the most radical fringe of Democratic Party members. Clinton is farther right than a lot of CPC people on a lot of issues. Sometimes, I am not even sure what right wing actually looks like, as the press in Canada calls anybody who is not a full blown Marxist "hard right".
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Clinton is farther right than a lot of CPC people on a lot of issues.

Which issues? Can you elaborate more on this?
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which issues? Can you elaborate more on this?

off the top of my head:

- welfare reform (Clinton toughened welfare rules, CPC won't touch EI)
- abortion ( Clinton supports regulated abortion, CPC supports no regulations)
- health care (Clinton supported private health care, CPC supports pubic health care)
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
Eh, their is still general public discussion in Canada on abortion

No there isn't. The prolife position isn't covered unless it involves an extremist knocking off abortion providers. The only places talking about abortion are internet forums - and sometimes even that is frowned upon.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

- health care (Clinton supported private health care, CPC supports pubic health care)

More like both support the status quo.
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:

More like both support the status quo.

I can tell you that the Status quo will get the torys removed from office in Canada !

Jump to: