Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riley W

Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: How would you Reform the Senate? Reply with quote

My personal system would require set election dates every 4 years.

Each province would get 2 Senators, and the territories would only get 1.

I would flush the Senate at the first General Election, and allow the people to elect 1 Senator for their province. Then the 2nd General Election the Senate Reform would be completed with another Senator added for each province.

Meaning every General Election the public would have 1 Senate election for each province.

Meaning 8 year terms.

Thats my plan.... but I wouldn't mind abolishing the Senate all together.

This is the only place I can agree with the NDP... abolishing the Senate.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dissolve it first then put elected senators in there!
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think term limits is the big thing that needs to change. They would prevent any one party from dominating it for a whole generation like the Liberals will now.
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How would you Reform the Senate? Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
My personal system would require set election dates every 4 years.

Each province would get 2 Senators, and the territories would only get 1.

I would flush the Senate at the first General Election, and allow the people to elect 1 Senator for their province. Then the 2nd General Election the Senate Reform would be completed with another Senator added for each province.

Meaning every General Election the public would have 1 Senate election for each province.

Meaning 8 year terms.

Thats my plan.... but I wouldn't mind abolishing the Senate all together.

This is the only place I can agree with the NDP... abolishing the Senate.

I dont get senate abolishers.
You do need second sober thought to ensure that bills wont conflict with our constiution and our charter. Senate comittees also can do very good work (they did excellent work on airport security this year). Not to mention just the idea of a good balanced government (I realize that doesnt exist yet with the appointed senate) but it could with an elected senate.
What we do need though is higher qualifications for senators.
I dont think 2 per province is enough, once you define their responsibilities (and assuming they are now elected) we can give them a broader range of responsabilities, one I would like would be vetting high level bureaucrats, for example.

The biggest question now though is "how do you get a more balanced govt" or an elected senate.
How do you get rid of these fat cats in the upper chamber they wont even pass a ten word document to protect their own butts.
As well how do you make them less political less loyal to their party and more loyal to their electorate and to their beleifs?
Do you allow senators into caucus meetings, or should they be seperated?
Riley W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 per province?
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
10 per province?

Why should someone in a province with a small population have more influence on politics than someone who happens to live in a larger province?
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why should someone in a province with a small population have more influence on politics than someone who happens to live in a larger province?

Proponents of the 'Equal' part of the EEE Senate concept, such as myself, view it as a mechanism to counterbalance the dominating effects of Ontario and Quebec's vastly higher populations. Canada is highly regionalized and this is unlikely to change, and having this represented in the structure of our government can help avoid the 'tyranny of the majority' effect.

As an example, consider Bill C-68, which ushered in long gun registration. Its quite likely that a triple-E senate would have blocked this legislation which while popular in heavily urbanized Ontario and Quebec, was fiercely opposed in most other provinces.
Riley W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right, the Senate has to be provincially equal and not population equal, as its would just be a copy of the lower house.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:

Proponents of the 'Equal' part of the EEE Senate concept, such as myself, view it as a mechanism to counterbalance the dominating effects of Ontario and Quebec's vastly higher populations. Canada is highly regionalized and this is unlikely to change, and having this represented in the structure of our government can help avoid the 'tyranny of the majority' effect.

My street has very few people on it compared to the rest of Canada. Basically, people on our street are dominated by the rest of Canada. Therefore, I think my street should have as many senators as Ontario in order to help avoid tryanny of the majority.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ask Delaware.

I would like to see a study by a constitutional expert on what Senate changes can be enacted without a full scale constitutional amendnet that has to meet the amending formula.

Side deals that effect each individual province might be possible.(see ammendment dealing with school boards in Newfoundland)
hatrock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest that each province should have 4 senators (territories get 1 or 2) with 12 year re-electable terms. An election would occur for one of the senate seats every 3 years in conjunction with a province's civic election (which are fixed). With fewer senators, they would be under greater scruitiny, but have the longevity to overlap governments in the house of commons.

I suggest 4 senators because our MPs do work tirelessly and perhaps need some help. Do any citizens actually contact their senators regarding issues? If they were elected, I bet more people would know who to contact. I think if you had too few senators--2 per province, 1 per territory, that's only 23 senators, which to me, wouldn't cause healthier debate

A province could also decide if they wish to make the senator represent a region, say, for larger provinces like Ontario. For example, Alberta could have one for Edmonton, one for Calgary, one for rural north, and one for rural south.

And I grow tired of those who try and pit rep population with the senate. The House of Commons already has rep by pop, why do it twice? You need to balance this with equal say, respecting each province, no matter how small. I believe at the root, this lacking is what's wrong with Canada and what could be much better.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I reform the senate...hmm...how about...get rid of it?...

This is probably because I am a republican, but I say get rid of the senate and have a different form of second sober thought. When Canadians go to vote for their head of state, they elect a cabinate of about 7 or 9 people as well who will make up the Executive. Each one of those men and women would approve or disapprove of the motions that would come out of the House...

just a thought...

erl
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Newfoundland to the Atlantic Provinces (Newfoundland loses it's 6 extra Senators) so that the new distribution is:

Nfld, NS, NB= 7
PEI=3

Add 12 Senators to the West making
BC= 12
AB=10
Mb + Sk= 7

Better than what we have, and sellable.
Riley W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely unconstitutional....we can't take away seats from provinces.

Quebec & Ontario each have 24 seats.

So that would be giving each province 24 seats...yikes.

I believe in the Senate being province-equal, not population-equal (lower house already does that)

I would amend the constitution and give each province 10 seats.

Newfoundland & Labrador - 10 seats
Nova Scotia - 10 seats
New Brunswick - 10 seats
Prince Edward Island - 10 seats
Quebec - 10 seats
Ontario - 10 seats
Manitoba - 10 seats
Saskatchewan - 10 seats
Alberta - 10 seats
British Columbia - 10 seats

Nunavut - 1 seat
Northwest Territories - 1 seat
Yukon - 1 seat

---------
103 seats

We need to have around 100 seats to fill up all the committees.

(remember- psst, this system gives way more seats to conservative-provinces, and marginalizes populous Liberal-provinces)

Would apply the party system to it.

8 year terms

5 seats go up every 4 years, and have their election every fixed federal election. If non-withstanding clause is pulled and parliament is flushed early, so is *half* the Senate

Ok, and each election you wouldn't be election 5 seats in.... no way.

you would divide the population of the province by 5, and then divide the province into 5 districts, each population-equal.

so then each of the 5 districts would have 2 senators, with elections every general election.

Yeah, thats how I would do it.
hatrock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
you would divide the population of the province by 5, and then divide the province into 5 districts, each population-equal.

so then each of the 5 districts would have 2 senators, with elections every general election.

Yes, I like the idea of districts which some areas of the Ontario and Quebec senate caucus already have.

But I think the provinces should decide how those districts are.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: