Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim K

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Michael Moore's New Film SiCKO Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just wondering who has seen or plans to see Michael Moore's new film "Sicko"?

I saw it and am beginning to see that some limited form of a two tier system in Canada might have it's benefits, as long is it is not a threat to the universal system.

Conversely, I hope that one day our American friends see the importance of having some form of a universal system of their own.

I really admire Michael Moore, He's created a very compassionate film and I truly believe he has the best interests of everyday people at heart.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him on Leno. I was impressed with what he had to say. I think it is unfortunate that he became so partisan. I too believe that a very limited universal system is needed in the states and that we need to reform our system here without sacrificing basic universal coverage.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to show up to Michael's Moore's meals.

Sorry guys I just had to get a laugh. :lol:
Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:

Please refrain from personal attacks. They diminish any reasonable argument.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
Hasdrubal wrote:

Please refrain from personal attacks. They diminish any reasonable argument.

Sometimes you need to post comedy to crack a smile from the debaters. As we all know it can be at times stressful, however you are the administrator so therefore I won't post any images like that again. :shock:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian regime has invited this lying s...ag to Tehran for a film festival (read propaganda campaign)
Tim K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Iranian regime has invited this lying s...ag to Tehran for a film festival (read propaganda campaign)

Do you have something against basic universal health care for average Americans?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim K wrote:
Quote:

Do you have something against basic universal health care for average Americans?

I don't think that is his point. He is being used as a puppet by someone who is not only a holocaust denier but someone who wants to, and has the means to, create its sequal.
Tim K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm aware that the Iranian administration would probably approve of this film. But I think it's a matter of Western journalists finding a story where there may or may not be one.

I did a little research on the Iranian Experimental Film Centre - the group holding the festival and they seem like a rather controversial group as far as Iranian standards seem to go. Some of the films they have presented in the past revolve around the struggles of homosexuals, the struggles of women within Iran, etc. - films that an Islamic extremist like Ahmadinejad would hardly approve of. So to imply that this group is a tool of the Iran's hardline regime is a bit off the mark.

People likely to attend this festival probably will have a more sophisticated and tolerant view of world issues, it's not going to be screened for 40,000 raging extremists in the public square. Iran actually has a very rich and well developed cinematic tradition which is quite respected worldwide.
johnT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry but I have to say that I hold no compromise when it comed to private health care. All health care must be privatized. If you want to help others you are free to donate to a private charity.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to the idea that government provided public benefits, could be opted out of as long as getting private providers of similar benefits are made mandatory.

For example, you could opt out of public health care, as long as its made mandatory that you purchase private insurance. Same for the CPP.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US system sucks however, I'm hesitant to support this movie because from what I've read, Moore totally misrepresents the Canadian system and hides our own problems.

Because of this, I'm afraid that this movie is more about attacking right-wing politics than it is about improving the US health system.
Tim K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore criticizes Democrats - and especially Hilary Clinton for her initial enthusiasm for a new system during her husband's reign and subsequent inaction on the issue over the years.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim K wrote:
Quote:

I think he's a lying moron and I am not an American to speak about that issue but am very sure Americans don't want our obsolete health care system where you have to wait hours after hours in ER to see a doctor, if not an intern. (it's happened to me, so i can say that)...

Moreover, smart nations don't spend their money on impossible stuff!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim K wrote:
Yes, I'm aware that the Iranian administration would probably approve of this film. But I think it's a matter of Western journalists finding a story where there may or may not be one.

I did a little research on the Iranian Experimental Film Centre - the group holding the festival and they seem like a rather controversial group as far as Iranian standards seem to go. Some of the films they have presented in the past revolve around the struggles of homosexuals, the struggles of women within Iran, etc. - films that an Islamic extremist like Ahmadinejad would hardly approve of. So to imply that this group is a tool of the Iran's hardline regime is a bit off the mark.

People likely to attend this festival probably will have a more sophisticated and tolerant view of world issues, it's not going to be screened for 40,000 raging extremists in the public square. Iran actually has a very rich and well developed cinematic tradition which is quite respected worldwide.

You seem not to know much about how things work in Iran. If the government doesn't approve that film festival, it will never happen. Every thing in Iran must be approved by the Islamic regime. And every cultural stuff must go through the "Islamic Guidance Ministry" and be scrutinized by that body of the government.

Don't be so naive!

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: