Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: The Canadian Black Book Reply with quote

Anyone had any experience with this? Apparently, us regular Joe's have access only to a single issue of the "Wholesale/Retail Guide".

http://www.canadianblackbook.com/

It costs, I was wondering what is actually in it, and is it worth it? Is it an indispensable shopping aid? Does it give dealer invoice prices on new cars? Does it have anything I don't already know?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I have decided that for the money, the Ford Focus wagon is the only vehicle in its class; small car, decent cargo area, fuel efficient, inexpensive. The Toyota Matrix is smaller, Saturn Vue is more expensive, less fuel mileage. Mazda 5, again more money and less mileage. Pontiac Vibe, smaller again. Honda Element, more expensive, the Fit, too small. Took the dog kennel with me car shopping, and the Focus Wagon was the only under $20,000 vehicle it would fit into.

Ford may just be preparing to eat some of the other guy's lunches here. Anyone looking for the same type of car, maximum cargo area, maximum fuel economy, basic options, minimum price, you should give Ford a look. Plus, they are more willing to move on price than those import dealers who think they now own the world.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a report from a place called car cost Canada.

http://carcostcanada.com/1/en/default.asp

They purport to be able to give you the dealer cost on cars. Some of the guys at work here say they are good. The report said there was not much markup on a Focus wagon, less than $1500.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than the Ford, we went with the Volksdragon Jette stationwagon TDI and, so far, it's been fabulous. Hard to beat the new diesels for economy.

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Passat is the only sizable wagon I see from VW, and it is out of the price range. Goes double for the Tourag I know a couple people here at work who owned VWs, and they do not seem to be the most dependable cars out there. A diesel would be nice though.
truth4freedom

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents have owned VW Jetta's for nearly a dozen years, purchasing a new one every 2, and they have been very reliable vehicles. I love the new body style on the Jetta, and we are considering purchasing a either a Toureg, or a Honda CRV soon.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWs are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road...

although repairs tend to cost more than asian cars.

If I were going to buy an import, it'd be a VW.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, our Jetta (2004) has been bullet-proof. Now I've said as much, I expect all four wheels will fall off shortly. The diesel is torquey, especially with the 5 speed and I was pleasantly surprised by the roominess.

Test drives are still free, aren't they? :)

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/quality-ratings

The initial quality rankings form this year. Basically, Ford stole the show. Mercury ranked number 3 in initial quality, behind Porsche(1), Lexus(2), and ahead of Honda( 4). Land Rover (a Ford subsidiary) was the most improved brand.
truth4freedom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/quality-ratings

The initial quality rankings form this year. Basically, Ford stole the show. Mercury ranked number 3 in initial quality, behind Porsche(1), Lexus(2), and ahead of Honda( 4). Land Rover (a Ford subsidiary) was the most improved brand.

Good thing our little Ford boycott due to their support of homo fascism is working! 700,000 signatures and counting . Have you seen their numbers fall like a rock as GM, Toyota, and others enjoy solid gains...
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is probably more that they did not have any great cars that people wanted. That and their union labor costs vs the non-union costs of their competitors have them at a disadvantage. Now that their quality is up, and they have some good product, they just might be able to turn it around.
truth4freedom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time will tell. 700k is no small number...
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think though that the sensible thing for a large corporation to do would be to endorse neither side. Anyone you piss off is a potential customer, so if you join a side, you lose. Official neutrality should be their policy. I have done a second think on the Ford purchase though. Will I unknowingly be driving some kind of "rainbow" car, where the gas station attendant asking about my oil will have an entirely different meaning?
truth4freedom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
You would think though that the sensible thing for a large corporation to do would be to endorse neither side. Anyone you piss off is a potential customer, so if you join a side, you lose. Official neutrality should be their policy.

That is all that anyone can ask for on such a divisive issue. The same should apply with abortion and embryonic stem cell research. No large corporation, public university, or government agency should be promoting one side over the other.

kwlafayette wrote:
I have done a second think on the Ford purchase though. Will I unknowingly be driving some kind of "rainbow" car, where the gas station attendant asking about my oil will have an entirely different meaning?

:oops: :lol: Now that was funny!

Jump to: