Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economic... Reply with quote

What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economic collapse?

These are my thoughts...

1. Drastic reform of its public education system. Strict standards for science and math. Strict standards for discipline. No more coddling of students - fail them if they don't meet standards, only gives an "A" to those who are clearly excellent. Introduce competition.

2. Reform the tax system to encourage savings and discourage consumption (consumption taxes). The USA current fuels the growth of other economies like China through consumption and it does so at the expense of its current accounts.

3. Reign in government spending. Deficits are fine so long as they are financed internally. Currently, the US debt is largely being financed by China (a potential enemy).

4. Stop nation building. It is too expensive. Crush your enemies and then either take over completely or leave - no more of this infrastructure and democracy building.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET BUSH OUT!
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
GET BUSH OUT!

Another would be Invest in Canada not China it would be better then have a Regime that screwed my people out of a future.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many years is it now that people have been predicting that the US economy was on the verge of collapse. Fool me 17 or less times, shame on you, fool me 18 or more times....
cerl7011

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully they don't go...but if they do then I really really really hope we don't...we showed the world after 9/11 that even if America went into recession, we didn't have to...let's hope we can become a soverign economic power...if that happens, then I really don't care about America...but until them...they should do whatever they can to stay in the green...

erl
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economi Reply with quote

I agree with all of your thoughts, Craig, but observe that each of these are long-term projects and it will be difficult to overcome entropy.

The school system will take a generation to change. Yes, it's overdue but simply telling the current teachers and administrators at all levels to change their priorities will not be sufficient. The school systems both in Canada and moreso in the US, are leftist organizations and sincerely believe they're making "progress".

The US tax system isn't as messed up as ours but their spending is out of control for a variety of reasons... including nation building. Their consumption fuels the world economy, not just China's. At the same time, the American manufacturing sector is slowly winding down due, in part, to labour costs. The thought of the American economy collapsing should send a shiver up the spines of all nations...

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you guys have any idea what a real war costs? The US is spending the equivalent of you or I buying a one nice power tool. By no means is nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan breaking the American bank.
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a real war though. This is a LONG war. Big diff if we are looking at us mil spending over the next 20 years.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Do any of you guys have any idea what a real war costs? The US is spending the equivalent of you or I buying a one nice power tool.

Maybe if you are on welfare. Estimates range from $400 billion to $2 trillion. Over the course of five years that is between 4% and 20% of the entire US budget per year. I could buy one HELL of power tool for that percentage of my salary!!

$200 million a day is the cost of the Iraq war according to the CBO.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11880954/

Quote:
By no means is nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan breaking the American bank.

I listed four items. If one of those items alone accounts for somewhere around 10% of the entire US budget every year for five years then I would say I'm on the right track.
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howze about stop building $250 million bridges to nowhere. That'd be a start. There was over $40 billion in pork spending in the 2006 budget. That has to stopped.

Although the budget deficit is much lower than expect so far this year
Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economi Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
1. Drastic reform of its public education system. Strict standards for science and math. Strict standards for discipline. No more coddling of students - fail them if they don't meet standards, only gives an "A" to those who are clearly excellent. Introduce competition.

Some say a voucher system may work to help improve the systemic shortcomings of the education system.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economi Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
Craig wrote:

Some say a voucher system may work to help improve the systemic shortcomings of the education system.

Voucher system would be great. Too bad our politicians don't have the guts to take on the teacher's unions.
Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economi Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Craig wrote:

Voucher system would be great. Too bad our politicians don't have the guts to take on the teacher's unions.

I think that Mike Harris has been the only one to ever have touched upon this.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Best way for the USA to solve this is to pick the first three to get things done. It will give the True Conservatives power to stay to their values and not allow the SP Regime to grow in strength.
JasonSkald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economi Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
What does the USA need to do in order to prevent economic collapse?

Slash spending, but don't institute any new tax cuts - #1 priority should be reducing the national debt and unpaid entitlements (healthcare, pensions, etc) as soon as possible.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: