Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who are you picking?
Ottawa
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
The West
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Ottawa vs. the West Reply with quote

It is early yet, but if history is any indication, an eventual victory is all but guaranteed when you are up 3 games to nil in a best of seven.

So, what are your predictions? Hopefully old slow Detroit comes out of the West, banged up and tired after battling the Ducks for seven games with lots of overtime. If Ottawa can make Hasek stop 40 shots a night, he will not last. Ottawa has what it takes this year, I am calling for Ottawa in 5, does not matter if it is the Ducks or the Wings.

Comrie will get some rest and be ready to make a big impact on the series. The bangers and grinders of Ottawa will be fresh. They have the top 3 playoff scorers on their team. All signs point to an Ottawa victory in the cup final.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Ottawa beat Detroit in their only meeting this year. Anaheim and Ottawa did not play this year in the regular season.
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Sens Go!
Grew up in the valley.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ottawa has once again done it in 5 games. I guess the smart bet is Ottawa in 5 in the Stanley Cup final. Looks like Detroit and Anaheim are knocking each other around nicely. Hopefully the Ducks make it through. They are looking weak for some reason. Pronger and Neidermayer are turning in only average performances, same goes for Selanne, MacDonald, and most of the Ducks bench.

Hopefully they can luck out another win in Detroit, and use up the last of their horseshoe for this year.
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the title of this post, I thought this was going to be some sort of "bring back the Reform Party" mantra.

I don't follow hockey at all.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Ottawa vs. the Ducks. Ottawa is the better team, period. Their defense is better, their forwards are better, their goalie has more to prove. Ottawa has beaten the best player in Crosby, the best goalie in Brodeur, and the best regular season team in Buffalo. They beat the top two seeds in the East, and did it convincingly. What has Anaheim done to match this? They beat Minnesota's backup goalie, a tired Vancouver team that could not score, and a fossilized goalie in Detroit, while looking down right shaky at times.

Still, I think Detroit would have been easier; lots of motivation to beat Hasek.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are the relevant stats, in my view.

Scoring: The Ducks don't seem to have a lot of it. The leading in points is Pronger, 2 players have 5 goals. Ottawa is scoring more goals, 3 players have more than 5 goals.

Penalties: The Ducks are the most penalized team, with 7 guys above 20 penalty minutes. Lets hope they continue that against Ottawa. Ottawa has only one player with 20 penalty minutes.

Goaltending: Emery has 3 shutouts. Giguere has none. Both goalies are under 2 goals per game on average. Both have good save percentage.

Special teams: Ducks seem to score most of their goals on the power play. If Ottawa stays out of the box, Anaheim will have trouble. Also, Ottawa has had a very impressive penalty kill these playoffs. Detroit showed that there are holes in the Ducks penalty kill.

Defense: Ottawa is blocking more shots. Anaheim has some big names. Ottawa players are ahead of Anaheim players in +/-.

Intangibles: Alfredsson wants it more than anyone else this year, of that there can be no question. Spezza really has a chip on his shoulder, and wants to prove all his detractors wrong. People have been talking down Emery for the whole season. Fisher, Vermette, they all have something to prove, and they have been playing like it through 15 games.

I cannot see a way for the Ducks to win this one. Up till now, they have only played just well enough to get by. No spectacular dominating performances, just some goon jobs by Pronger. Ottawa has played beater teams, and not had trouble with any of them.

My prediction stands, Ottawa in 5. Ducks will lose the first one at home tonight probably, giving Ottawa the split.
winchry

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leafs fan sorry :D .. I just cant go for the Sens.. under any circumstances...

Go Anaheim!
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what was the final tally? Only one 5 on 3, I expected a little bit less discipline from Anaheim. They took a few less penalties than expected, Ottawa made them pay. Ottawa let it hang out a bit more than expected, but I guess that is what happens when you play a team you never saw before.

Looks like they are trying to run over Emery as much as possible, so I expect to see Giguere take a beating next game. When will teams realize, you live by the sword, you die by the sword?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the same during the Ducks and Canucks series; the Ducks kept crashing Luango and it worked for them so I expect they'll do it again...

It would have been nice to see the Sens take game one but it is only game one, right?

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ottawa is a tougher team though. They were hitting at least as good as they got. The penalties that the big guys for Anaheim took, Niedermayer, Pronger, Getzlaf, they were a little frustrated. I expect that to get worse for them as this goes on.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't take much to have a tougher team than Vancouver as the Ducks showed us. That being said, I still think it's Ottawa's series to win.

-Mac
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh definitely, there was not much wrong with Ottawa's game. Only 4 penalties to Anaheim's 7, they were perfect on the penalty kill, they were hitting, getting under Anaheim's skin. They played a little loose, they will tighten that up next game, and take the split.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

three more wins for Anaheim then they win the Stanley Cup. I knew this was comming, most in Canada refuse to see the truth, Ottawa has no chance of winning this, Emery is a second rate goaltender compared to Giguere. Sorry guys 4-2 Ducks.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, same predictions made the last 3 series. How are you feeling about the last 3 times you made that prediction?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: