Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Get back to me in Fifty years when that has been proven, forget about nukes until then !

That's the stupid shortsightedness of enviromentalists which have gotten us into this mess.

By opposing nuclear reactors they've forced the governments to continue using coal-fired, 19th century technology plants.

Millions of Canadians are suffering health problems because of these coal plants. Nobody has ever died from a Canadian nuclear reactor.

If we would have went all nuke 30 years ago, there would be no such thing as global warming today.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When it is proven that we will not be killed by any Nuke waste the same day it is producted get back to me, untill then keep the nukes out of here !

We've been doing it for 40 years; how much more proof do you need!

On the otherhand, thousands of people a year die each year from air pollution related diseases cause by coal fired plants which the environmentalists have fought to keep open.
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I am impressed, if there is no consern with Nukes or their waste then we can just dump the wast in the creek behind your place Mr. Cool and forget about them for there is no danger of anykind, we have built the perfect machine you are telling me ! When I see you dumping the waste behind your families home and the homes of the Investors in Nuke Power call me I want to record it. When i can see that on the News and it does not say at the end of the film that every single person in or involved in making that film is not dead then I will consder it !
Nicklan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up near coal fired plants and I do not know of anyone who is dead from living there when they had a problem with the coal fired burners and there is clean coal processes that we have been using for more then 20 years already. Perhaps Ontario has not been. That does not mean that they could not have built them !
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I grew up near coal fired plants and I do not know of anyone who is dead from living there when they had a problem with the coal fired burners and there is clean coal processes that we have been using for more then 20 years already

So nobody you know has asthma, emphysema, bronchitis or lung cancer?

Every summer we have smog alerts where people are told not to go outside. Many elderly people have died from these smog days.

Where do you think the smog comes from? Not nuclear plants.

Where do you think acid rain comes from? Not nuclear plants

Where do you think the mercury in our water which contaminates fish comes from? Not nuclear plants

I'm not saying there isn't an issue with nuclear waste. I'm just saying that the issue is manageable and hasn't resulted in 1 Canadian death in over 40 years whereas coal plants have.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Quote:
I grew up near coal fired plants and I do not know of anyone who is dead from living there when they had a problem with the coal fired burners and there is clean coal processes that we have been using for more then 20 years already

So nobody you know has asthma, emphysema, bronchitis or lung cancer?

Every summer we have smog alerts where people are told not to go outside. Many elderly people have died from these smog days.

Where do you think the smog comes from? Not nuclear plants.

Where do you think acid rain comes from? Not nuclear plants

Where do you think the mercury in our water which contaminates fish comes from? Not nuclear plants

I'm not saying there isn't an issue with nuclear waste. I'm just saying that the issue is manageable and hasn't resulted in 1 Canadian death in over 40 years whereas coal plants have.

Very true...it's not just coal plants though...it's all industry...there is a reason why we in Hamilton have one of the countries largest Cancer centers...

We should build more nuclear plants, but we have to find a good way of getting rid of it's hazardous by-product...

erl
Nicklan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year we have smog alerts in Vancouver to, but that has nothing to do with coal fired power plants, and yes I know people here in Vancouver who have and have died from those health problems. But one problem folks there are no coal fired power plants in Vancouver. Most of the smog is from your cars, truck, buses, boats, not from the power plants.
And as far as I can tell there are no more sick people where I grew up in Nova Scotia then here in Vancouver.
It is not all industry for example all steel is not and does not have to be produced with Blast Furnaces as is Done at Stelco and DeFasco or Algoma!
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most of the smog is from your cars, truck, buses, boats, not from the power plants.

The smog in Ontario is mostly from coal plants, especially American ones.
Nicklan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have southern winds perhaps that may be some of it, but I am affraid that Sountern Ontario is right up there with LA. No coal power plants there either, but a lot of cars just like Toronto !
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicklan wrote:
Every year we have smog alerts in Vancouver to, but that has nothing to do with coal fired power plants, and yes I know people here in Vancouver who have and have died from those health problems. But one problem folks there are no coal fired power plants in Vancouver. Most of the smog is from your cars, truck, buses, boats, not from the power plants.

I've lived in the GVRD and work in Vancouver for the past 6 years. I don't recall any smog alerts. I don't know anyone who has died of smog related health issues. I lived in Hamilton in the 80s... now they had smog! The running joke was "If you can't walk through it, don't breath it!" which, in retrospect, was pretty good advice.

-Mac
Nicklan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mac ,you should pay attendion to enviorment canadas reports on tv every day here in Vancouver. And Hamilton has what 10 blast furnaces within how many miles !TO is about the same with how many million cars on the roads everyday ?
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicklan wrote:
Well Mac ,you should pay attendion to enviorment canadas reports on tv every day here in Vancouver. And Hamilton has what 10 blast furnaces within how many miles !TO is about the same with how many million cars on the roads everyday ?

Nicklan:
FYI - There is a forum on Climate Change that would be much better suited for this off topic discussion.

BTW, you are confusing an <b>Air Quality & Health Advisory</b> with the <b>Air Quality Index</b>. Index/forcasts are what you see in the paper and on the Weather Network (good, fair, poor, very poor rankings). According to the GVRD, Vancouver averages 1-2 advisories a year (only one in 2006 for 3 days). Compare this to the 10+ days where most of the region had a boil water advisory last November.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicklan wrote:
And Hamilton has what 10 blast furnaces within how many miles !

I'm not sure how many we've got now...Most of them have been shut down...but the smog really makes life hell for us on hot summer days...

erl
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you have southern winds perhaps that may be some of it, but I am affraid that Sountern Ontario is right up there with LA. No coal power plants there either, but a lot of cars just like Toronto !

From the Ontario government website:

http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/

Quote:
Replacing Coal-Fired Generation In Ontario

From 2003 to 2005, that progress includes:

* Closing the single-largest contributor to smog in the GTA the Lakeview Generating Station in Mississauga in April 2005.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicklan wrote:
Well Mac ,you should pay attendion to enviorment canadas reports on tv every day here in Vancouver.

I don't watch tv unless there's something specific of interest... which would not include Environment Canada's reports but I have the news/talk radio running all day. Strangely, these "smog days" you're on about aren't big enough news to get reported.

palomino_pony is right... this is the wrong forum.

Peace-out.

-Mac

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: