Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Green Party Leadership Reply with quote

With another defeat coming, a rookie leader prone to mistakes, "truther" candidates, back room deals with the Liberals, liberal use of Nazi analogies, May cannot be long for leader. Who would want to be the next leader after May has spent all the political capital Harris built up? The only people I can think of are Copps, Brison, Stronach, and the rest of the "never pass on a leadership race" crowd. David Orchard also comes to mind.

On second thought, is the Green party even important anymore? Does it matter who the next leader is? It seems with May, they have permanently cemented their fringe party status, and will never get that breakthrough that has been promised 5 or 6 times already now. I have a feeling the next Green party leader will have as much name recognition as Tracy Parsons.

If you are on the right, and cannot support the CPC, you could register a protest vote with Christian Heritage or the Libertarians. If you are on the left, Green is one of the many options for a protest vote. I don't really see any reason to pick any particular left option over the others; Greens and Liberals have made common cause, so why not just vote Liberal?
FascistLibertarian





Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 1092
Reputation: 30.1Reputation: 30.1Reputation: 30.1
votes: 14
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With FPTP the Greens will never get anywere. It rewards regionalism (why the Bloc do so well even when they get less votes than the NDP) while the Green party supporters form a cross section of the Canadian population geographically.
They will continue to be the 5th biggest party, maybe if David Suzuki runs they will win a seat somewhere. I bet they have begged him to be their leader!
Personally I would rather vote Green and NDP or Libs.......
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they do elect an MP, is that really a breakthrough? The Communist party of Canada has previously elected an MP, in 1945, but it was a one off. They basically have not been heard from again.
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting, and ties into leadership issues.

http://www.smalldeadanimals.co.....06186.html

The Green party appears to be in increasingly serious trouble.
cerl7011





Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Posts: 334
Reputation: 26.6Reputation: 26.6Reputation: 26.6

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Even if they do elect an MP, is that really a breakthrough? The Communist party of Canada has previously elected an MP, in 1945, but it was a one off. They basically have not been heard from again.


Thank god...

About the Greens...I was thinking Suzuki could do it...he's gotten so involved in politics lately...if he ran, he would win...hands down...

erl
Nicklan





Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 544
Reputation: 16.6Reputation: 16.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Greens win in Central Nova is the question i think, Can May swing the vote in Central Nova. I think she can, How you ask, why its simple there are what 5000 steel workers in central Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. These people will swing the vote I believe. May is for building New Ship yards and Steel plants as well as moderizing and expanding the Trenton Works. Those are her supporters now I believe. While Mr. harper says he will support but no proof of that being a fact has been seen yet. I think that the Steel Workers of Central Nova Scotia and Cape Breton plus the 5000 new people that this would add to their ranks will decide who is going to win that seat. That will be the decider in my opinion it will be either the beginning of the Green Party or the End. It realy depends on what Mr. Harper and Mr. MacKay do for steel and steel industries like trenton works and if they are serious about supporting the industries we need like the New Shipyards and Steelworks aswell as moderizing Trenton !
If he supports Canada and Canadians here Central may turn blue agian, if I am aloud to do what I think needs to be done that would paint Canada Blue from coast to coast !
Mr. Harper is in Charge we will have to wait and see !
Riley W





Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 857
Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5Reputation: 35.5
votes: 10
Location: Manitoba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Green Party.

They got 500 000 votes last election but no seat...

b/c they were spread out all over.

Elizabeth May is popular with some Tories too..

I read she was Pro Life...

If she's Pro Life she can't be all that bad..

Anyways I don't mind if the party gets a seat, or gets more votes. Why? Because their base is environmentalists.

Environmentalists are mainly Liberal-minded people.

The more votes the Greens and NDP get then:

The Left is divided 3 ways.

I REALLY want the Liberals to have the Reform-PC problem we had in the 90s, that would be a dream come true.
Bleatmop





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 953
Reputation: 17.5Reputation: 17.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmanguy wrote:
I REALLY want the Liberals to have the Reform-PC problem we had in the 90s, that would be a dream come true.


For that to truly happen, there would have to be a Vastly popular regional Left party, somewhat like the Bloc if they were true Lefties. Some region where they would dominate, and take about 30-40 seats away from the Liberals.

Although, having another left party out there doesn't hurt us either. The effects of third parties are usually muted by the strategic voting that happens in this country though, unfortunately. Most seats in the last election were a showdown between two of the major parties with a distant third.
Craig
Site Admin




Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 4415
Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
westmanguy wrote:
I REALLY want the Liberals to have the Reform-PC problem we had in the 90s, that would be a dream come true.


For that to truly happen, there would have to be a Vastly popular regional Left party, somewhat like the Bloc if they were true Lefties. Some region where they would dominate, and take about 30-40 seats away from the Liberals.

Although, having another left party out there doesn't hurt us either. The effects of third parties are usually muted by the strategic voting that happens in this country though, unfortunately. Most seats in the last election were a showdown between two of the major parties with a distant third.


Yeah, it would take an NDP/Green merger to form a partially viable alternative in order for them to do serious vote splitting damage. Until that happens much of the vote will migrate to the Liberals on election day in order to prevent a conservative majority.
TealTories





Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 473
Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7
votes: 1
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
With FPTP the Greens will never get anywere. It rewards regionalism (why the Bloc do so well even when they get less votes than the NDP) while the Green party supporters form a cross section of the Canadian population geographically.
They will continue to be the 5th biggest party, maybe if David Suzuki runs they will win a seat somewhere. I bet they have begged him to be their leader!
Personally I would rather vote Green and NDP or Libs.......


I dont know about that anymore. I would have voted green when Harris was the leader (if I was unhappy with the CPC).
But with May as leader, no way would she get my vote.
She is an extremist and dangerous for canadian politics. She is proof that the lobbyist in Canada have way to much say with politicians and are really out of touch with the average Canadian.
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a lobbyist is she not? Is she still affiliated with the Sierra Club? The way I see it, she is only doing the MP thing to further her lobbyist agenda.
TealTories





Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 473
Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7Reputation: 34.7
votes: 1
Location: Calgary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicklan wrote:
Will the Greens win in Central Nova is the question i think, Can May swing the vote in Central Nova. I think she can, How you ask, why its simple there are what 5000 steel workers in central Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. These people will swing the vote I believe. May is for building New Ship yards and Steel plants as well as moderizing and expanding the Trenton Works. Those are her supporters now I believe. While Mr. harper says he will support but no proof of that being a fact has been seen yet. I think that the Steel Workers of Central Nova Scotia and Cape Breton plus the 5000 new people that this would add to their ranks will decide who is going to win that seat. That will be the decider in my opinion it will be either the beginning of the Green Party or the End. It realy depends on what Mr. Harper and Mr. MacKay do for steel and steel industries like trenton works and if they are serious about supporting the industries we need like the New Shipyards and Steelworks aswell as moderizing Trenton !
If he supports Canada and Canadians here Central may turn blue agian, if I am aloud to do what I think needs to be done that would paint Canada Blue from coast to coast !
Mr. Harper is in Charge we will have to wait and see !


See this goes to the core of May's hypocracy. Steel plants are good for the enviroment since when (Nicklan I am not opposed to steel plants or shipyards).
The other thing is that Central Novans are not so stupid to beleive that she can actually get that done, are they?
Are they also so stupid to beleive that the liberals will actually follow through on a promise?
They will vote for the status quo because the status quo is their best chance for a stronger Central Nova.
cerl7011





Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Posts: 334
Reputation: 26.6Reputation: 26.6Reputation: 26.6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

---

Last edited by cerl7011 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrsocko





Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Posts: 2463
Reputation: 131.2
votes: 8
Location: Southwestern Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dont know about that anymore. I would have voted green when Harris was the leader (if I was unhappy with the CPC).


Harris had some Conservative credentials(thanks Cerl). he could have got the tree huuger vote and the eco-concoius conservative. That would have possibly got them a seat or 2 in B.C.

May is pro-choice but personally against abortion(meaning she would never have one). That was clarified in an earlier thread.
Nicklan





Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 544
Reputation: 16.6Reputation: 16.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TealTories wrote:
Nicklan wrote:
Will the Greens win in Central Nova is the question i think, Can May swing the vote in Central Nova. I think she can, How you ask, why its simple there are what 5000 steel workers in central Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. These people will swing the vote I believe. May is for building New Ship yards and Steel plants as well as moderizing and expanding the Trenton Works. Those are her supporters now I believe. While Mr. harper says he will support but no proof of that being a fact has been seen yet. I think that the Steel Workers of Central Nova Scotia and Cape Breton plus the 5000 new people that this would add to their ranks will decide who is going to win that seat. That will be the decider in my opinion it will be either the beginning of the Green Party or the End. It realy depends on what Mr. Harper and Mr. MacKay do for steel and steel industries like trenton works and if they are serious about supporting the industries we need like the New Shipyards and Steelworks aswell as moderizing Trenton !
If he supports Canada and Canadians here Central may turn blue agian, if I am aloud to do what I think needs to be done that would paint Canada Blue from coast to coast !
Mr. Harper is in Charge we will have to wait and see !


See this goes to the core of May's hypocracy. Steel plants are good for the enviroment since when (Nicklan I am not opposed to steel plants or shipyards).
The other thing is that Central Novans are not so stupid to beleive that she can actually get that done, are they?
Are they also so stupid to beleive that the liberals will actually follow through on a promise?
They will vote for the status quo because the status quo is their best chance for a stronger Central Nova.


I think the point is that the people of Central Nova Scotia know that Peter MacKay has the power to make this happen today and so far choses to do nothing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Green Party Leadership

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB