Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Future Liberal leadership contenders Reply with quote

When the Liberals finally put the daggers to Dion, who do you expect to step up and run for leadership of that party?

Let's speculate on names and reasons why in this thread.

I'll start: I think Rae is the most obvious one who'll be first in. He had a good run last time for the leadership and he made a point in running for a weak leader in a solid Toronto riding. He's positioning himself not for this election (an easy seat won) but for the next one (when he hopes to be leader). A couple of years (or a Harper majority) will also give Ontario some time to forget his horrible tenure as Premier of that province.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, definitely Rae. Iggy thinks he is always the smartest person in any room, but he does not have the chops for politics. Sheila Copps of course, I don't know how she resisted the urge to lose another leadership race last time around. Scott Brison is in the same "must be leader" boat as Copps.

Rae is a serious politician. He would have a chance of beating Harper, winning Ontario, winning Quebec, a chance of doing all the things the Liberals need to do. I am sure glad they did not pick him last time around.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few:

Gerard Kennedy: I did not take him seriously at all, till his speech at the leadership convention. The Liberal party is marked with an arrogance that its leader normally shares, but what struck me as interesting was that Kennedy was the only leadership hopeful to discuss that the Liberal Party had violated the trust of Canadians and before anything else could be done they had to prove to the voters of Canada that they were worthy of being voted for again. This is a radical approach for the Liberals and one that could play very well in a campaign, also the fact that he was not a member of the Federal Liberals during AdScam certainly helps.

Frank McKenna: With AdScam looming I can fully understand why McKenna wanted nothing to do with the Liberals of 2006. Any way that you stack it he is a heavy hitter, bi-lingual and really did nothing that leave a bitter taste in the mouths of anyone when he left the post of Premier of New Brunswick. As time passes and "Trust" stops being an issue that voters have with the federal Liberals I really do think that McKenna may end up surprising us and seeking leadership, maybe as soon as the 2008 leadership convention.

Sacha Trudeau: People often point to his older brother Justin and assume that Justin will be the clear choice to carry the "Liberal" mantle, but at the end of the day Justin's resume reads like that of a spoiled rich kid who could do whatever he wanted because he always had a fall back. Sacha on the other hand was a member of the Canadian Forces, he is a respected member of the media and the whole aspect of being Embedded during the Iraq War, being a director of Canada World Youth coupled with the Hassan Almrei issue, he has done a very good job of place attention on himself for the right reasons. Perhaps the next leadership race is a little soon but he has the potential.

Jean Chretien: Few people would have the balls to come back to the Liberal party after burying them deep in scandal and leaving Paul Martin and Dion to take the fall for his actions, but Jean Chretien is one of those few people who could do it. I can just see him now at the press conference promising to "Clean up the mess the Liberal Party is in".

Michael Ignatieff: Not because I think he is overly qualified but after electing Dion leader I think once the hang over wore off most folks realized that perhaps Iggy should have been the guy. Perhaps if he tosses his hat in the ring again the Liberal delegates will not slap democracy in the face and vote against the candidate that had the most support en mass among the Liberal Party members who were not hand selected to go to the leadership convention?
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

Rae is a serious politician. He would have a chance of beating Harper, winning Ontario, winning Quebec, a chance of doing all the things the Liberals need to do. I am sure glad they did not pick him last time around.

I think folks not in Ontario have a hard time realizing how much he is hated in Ontario.
Rae may have done very well elsewhere (Except Alberta) but making Rae leader hands Ontario to the Conservatives.

Lets not forget Rae was in THIRD in Ontario in terms of delegate support,
And was fourth in ex-officio delegates support in Ontario behind Iggy, Kennedy, and Dion.

Ontario Liberals simply did not want to support him, and that sentiment is very much echoed among regular voters in Ontario.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same prediction that everyone makes. Paul Wells first rule of politics, or one of them anyway, is that whenever everyone agrees on something, it is always wrong.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
That is the same prediction that everyone makes. Paul Wells first rule of politics, or one of them anyway, is that whenever everyone agrees on something, it is always wrong.

True enough,
but its been put to a test, well a limited one anyway.

Liberals in Ontario had the option to pick who they wanted, and they didn't pick Rae.
Even Ontario Liberals had a hard time checking the Rae box,

Had Rae's support among Liberals in Ontario been stronger, heck even had he finished second then sure perhaps Ontario voters have forgot 1990-1995, but it seems clear that is just not the case.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
...Sheila Copps of course, I don't know how she resisted the urge to lose another leadership race last time around...

As someone from Hamilton, may I be the first to do this...

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...wow...if there is one woman I would love to see lead the Liberals, it would be her! She would drive them into the ground!

erl
ebolablue

Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock? Manley? Tobin? I see McKenna, but there's a reason all the Chretien heavyweights backed off from a race that was supposed to be 1968 all over again. Because they decided to offer up Dion, or some other sap, as the lamb to Harper. Just like Lord and other Tory heavyweights passed up the initial CPC race, theoretically leaving Harper as the sacrificial lamb to Chretien and Martin.

Of the last batch of candidates, Kennedy and Rae are the only ones with a serious chance at making an impact in the next few years.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Mark Holland to make play, though he wouldn't be a serious contender.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think folks not in Ontario have a hard time realizing how much he is hated in Ontario.

Oh Yah!

He still owes me about 10 gr from Rae Days. Took a 2 billion deficet to 12 in 4 years. This is the real reason the NDP will never break threw to a national government. That and their support of federal interference in all areas of provincial jurisdiction.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Quote:

Oh Yah!

He still owes me about 10 gr from Rae Days. Took a 2 billion deficet to 12 in 4 years. This is the real reason the NDP will never break threw to a national government. That and their support of federal interference in all areas of provincial jurisdiction.

I came across an old Photo radar picture/ticket the other day.

Oh the memories...
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you guys saying that die hard Tory partisans, who would never vote Liberal anyway, still hate Bob Rae? How does that hurt Bob Rae?
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kw wrote
Quote:
So are you guys saying that die hard Tory partisans, who would never vote Liberal anyway, still hate Bob Rae? How does that hurt Bob Rae?

He is trying to reinvent himself into Joe Clark with his rants about crappy righty wing policies. Come to think of it you put a white hair wig on Clark and he would look like Rae, jowls and all. I was wondering where Joe had got to.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
[Liberals in Ontario had the option to pick who they wanted, and they didn't pick Rae.

I would actually love to see Rae take the leadership of the Grits...Ontario would be a sea of blue on election night...

erl
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone could convince Hedy Fry to run again? :lol:

-Mac

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: