Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the United States restore the monarchy?
Yes, God Bless The Queen!
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
No, I prefer the "elected" dynasties that typify the American Presidency -- Kennedys, Bushes, Clintons
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 21

Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: BRING BACK THE QUEEN Reply with quote

BRING BACK THE QUEEN

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Republican Party is dead. So says William F. Buckley, Jr., considered by the faithful to be father of that party in the modern era. Bruce Bartlett, the smart and original thinker whose essays appear in the NYTs, says Republicans should vote for Hillary. That's because she's the closest thing both parties have to a Republican.

But that is only because the Democratic Party is dead too. (Y'all see the debate the other night?)

The truth is we have got to the end of things.

I sensed it coming long ago. Even before the Democrats went Big Hair, following Sixties revolutionary Jerry Rubin's maxim that "wealth creation is the real American revolution." The real Republicans – Henry Cabot Lodge types – died even before Eisenhower. So they sent in a cheerful and competent enough actor to make things alright for awhile.

Then the Democrats changed the money. They changed the design of the dollar from the perfect symmetry of circle and square to a deconstructivist nightmare that sang its own pending demise; an edgy and off-center broken rhapsody with a bloated head.

It is time to face up: Hamilton's ride is over and the dollar is tanking too.

The Republicans are going to try to send in an affable actor again, but I don't think that will work the second time around. Someone is bound to notice this time that he is really only an actor.

I've got a more responsible solution: Let's bring back the Queen. She's coming here anyway for the 400 year anniversary of Virginia. Maybe we can get her to stay on.

I just cottoned onto this idea over the weekend when I brought my kids into Canada for a high school band competition. There she is; Her Majesty's picture on the money; Her Majesty's picture in offices; Her Majesty's picture all over the place.

I have always kind of liked the Queen because she looks a little like my mother and like everybody's mother. And she has that mysterious expression which is something like a smile but is not a smile, and you can't tell if she is happy or mad at you. Like my mother.

Then coming back across the border, there was George W. Bush's face on the wall of the checkpoint with that idiotic expression on his face: He's trying to smile too but there is something insidious and vengeful in his smile and he looks like someone just told him an unethical Polak joke.

We've been going monarchy anyway these long years since Eisenhower. The Democrats' desire to have some auntie or other relative that reminds them of Bill Clinton is a generational degeneration of the self-governance instinct. It is the desire to restore the spirit of their generational idol – a feeling really. Likewise, Bush Junior and his Florida brother, Jeb, who is well likely to be cast as VP by Mitt Romney. But it has been like this since the Kennedys.

Maybe if we had the Queen back, we could project all of the glory and magnificence onto her and get good managers again to run the country.

If we brought back the Queen we might solve the dollar problem. The dollar is likely to get worse as the President show no signs of addressing the management crisis which his himself. And in the end, the only thing that brings respectability to the dollar is the belief in long-term management stability in governance.

But the pound sterling? Doing quite well. Dude, who knew? We thought we said good-bye to that and that and that and all of that a hundred years ago.

Maybe we could go over to the pound sterling ourselves and drop the dollar altogether, no?

And while we are at it, why don't we declare all of the Anglosphere – England, the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand – to be the Queen's realm and the relevant and equitable trade zone: A new realm of sovereign republics. Globalization? Forgetaboutit. China's winning anyway. Expand NAFTA to South America? Like globalization, brings gargantuanism and loss of identity: It is another psychotic episode of world domination; a territorial imperative by any standard of observation and an attempt to outsource the swarthy proletariat and the working class; keeping them away from the Eloi of the technological yuppie class. (But exploiting them and unfairly drawing the wealth benefits of their labor. Surely Hillary's 40 million war babies now facing failing prostates and senility will need a vast proletariat to support their endless medical expenses and retirement costs in dotage these next 40 years while they're doing tai chi in Vermont and on Martha's Vineyard. Where will it come from if not from federalizing and taxing mestisos, Mexicans and South American peasants?) Won't fool anyone and sure to ignite economic revolution.

The fact of the matter is England is the only friend we now have in the world.

And now, due to the Iraq disaster, England has no friends in the world either. She had no choice but to follow us into Iraq. It was the price of American-led victory in WW II. And she has not friends in Europe either, being seen now as a not-so-secret partner and agent of the United States, which is what she is.

But England would not last long as a secondary state in the EU anyway. She is too unique and she was never fully European in the first place. The EU sings a good and beautiful tune today and sings it with one voice. But it is neither England's tune nor her voice. And she was never intended to sing another's song and never will.

In the world today, England has more in common with the United States than she does with Europe or anyplace else. And so does Australia and New Zealand and so does Canada.

The British monarch has consistently gotten a bad rap here in the Land of the Free and has sometimes deserved it. We see the King hoarding it over the colonies. But it only came to that when Elizabeth I, out of options, yielded to the demands of London's "200 billionaires" and granted them the charter for the East India Company. It was this business group and the wealth of this few which then came to dominate the Throne and Parliament.

Now the same has happened here. So much so that Halliburton and the toads of the oil industry and the Wall St. Barons have their man at Vice President and the boy President they propped up, paid for and put in place shows sensibilities of governance worse than any autonomous monarch.

Maybe it has only been that we've been running loose and irresponsible in the world all these past 230 years in defiance of Mother. And now it has caught up with us.

Time to come back to earth. Time to call Mother.
Link
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t you think she had control of America all along? You know that the Satanic bloodline runs in the British crown, and they used America as a project to build it as a superpower, then rip it apart to move the new world order.

In all seriousness, America has done well for itself as a Republic. I don’t believe they need to go back to a monarchy system, they are still the world superpower, plus if people don’t like their head of state/commander in chief, then they can vote that person out. I personally feel that once Queen Elizabeth dies or quits the throne, Canada should also move away from the monarchy. The article’s writer might like the monarchy now, but just wait until Charles and on down take the throne!
cerl7011

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the poll is a touch bias...but besides that, NO!...I say we should get rid of them too...plus Americans fought for years to get rid of the monarchy, why would they want it back?

erl
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no...

not a fan of the monarchy.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really for us Canadians to say? If they want the Queen back, I am sure the Americans are perfectly capable of doing it on their own.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want them to become another Canada. Do you?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the article, seems pretty far left. All the warning signs are in there; "oil company toadies", "globalization", does not sound like a mainstream view.
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't fight against the Monarchy, they fought agaisnt "Taxation without representation".

If the solution offered to Canada in 1867 had been offered 100 years earlier I have strong doubts there would have been an American revolution
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth of it is that they were taxed at a very low rate before the revolution, and have been taxed at a higher rate ever since. They also lost access to British ports of call, as there was a law in the Empire at the time that only British shipping could land at many places.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:
They didn't fight against the Monarchy, they fought agaisnt "Taxation without representation".

If the solution offered to Canada in 1867 had been offered 100 years earlier I have strong doubts there would have been an American revolution

And the United States of Canada would likely stretch from the Gulf of Mexico to the Artic, & Mexico might still have Texas. :wink:
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:

Very true. But the solutions were offered!

If the Crown had endorsed the Albany Plan of Union drafted by Benjamin Franklin, the American Rebellion might have been avoided.

As Her Majesty so eloquently stated:

"We lost the American colonies because we lacked the statesmanship to know the right time and the manner of yielding what is impossible to keep." — HM Elizabeth II

Instead the Americans traded a distant (and admittedly tame) tyranny for a much more bestial leviathan closer to home when they adopted the Constitution. The Articles of Confederation, with its weak executive, should have been preserved. Instead the former colonies reverted to the old executive tyranny. Only this time that executive resided in America, and for that reason it proved to be more terrible than any of the excesses of King George III, and arguably set the stage for the American Civil War. The rest, of course, is history.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL no America should not have the Queen or whatever be the head of state.
winchry

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans would never even think of restoring the monarchy.. swo why even talk about it... when we in Canada are trying to get rid of her why try to bring the Queen back elsewhere?
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchry wrote:
Americans would never even think of restoring the monarchy.. swo why even talk about it... when we in Canada are trying to get rid of her why try to bring the Queen back elsewhere?

To be fair with monarchists they have a valid point, most Republicans tend to lean to the left. Monarchism seems to be more of a Conservative thing.
Dante

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
I'd say no...

not a fan of the monarchy.

Same here.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: