Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available for the year 2005 show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city's crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

So it seems not only should we not limit gun ownership, we should be encouraging it. All responsible adults should be required to carry a firearm it seems. The only draw back I can see is that I would have to be nicer to people I flip the bird to from my car.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one wonders if those angry arab students at universities in Canada or America might do the same thing one day :shock:
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston2004 wrote:
And one wonders if those angry arab students at universities in Canada or America might do the same thing one day :shock:

:? Any angry student doing something like this bothers me...

It would seem we have a big problem with the non-arab population as well...
biggie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**NOTE** :

Some of this discussion may have taken place in the NASA Shooting post(now locked)

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/f.....php?t=3865
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Responsible adults is so hard to define though, I mean one could be a responsible adult until they shoot up the place.
Some fo your guys arguements have swayed me, maybe we need bullet control not gun control.
Maybe if you limited ammo I would be in favour, a clip per person (7-8 bullets or enough to stop a crazy person but not enough to go on a mass rampage).
And if you made bullets super expensive, I mean Cho Seung-Hui did not have to pay that much for his guns, but if each bullet had cost $500 it is unlikely could have killed as many people (i know thats expensive but really, a human life is worth way more than $500 anyways).
And make each extra or illegal bullet someone has worth a 1 year jail sentence and or a $10,000 fine.

:oops: FL is trying to reach common ground :oops:
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston2004 wrote:

I don't think that any school shootings (in North America) have been perpetrated by "Arabs".
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL,

I appreciate your open-mindedness. I hope that I will not lose your good will as I continue ... :)

The problems inherent in restricting or banning the private ownership of firearms are the same or worse in attempting to do the same with just the ammunition. To threaten someone with huge fines or jail time over owning a few extra bullets is draconian, and the powers required to enforce such a law would result in immense instrusion and violation of private lives and legal rights.

As before, the criminals will not abide by the restrictions and would be rarely caught, while the overwhelming majority of firearms owners who are otherwise law abiding would be punitively inconvenienced at best.

Furthermore, $500 a bullet? In testing different factory rounds on a new rifle, I might expend more than 30 bullets ($15,000!!). Any hunter worth the name will constantly ensure his skill with his firearms through live firing - but not many hunters have the financial largesse to afford such an insane price. Target shooters and competitors will expend hundreds of rounds over the course of the year, in a wide variety of calibres.

To put your suggested cost into perspective, the ammunition I currently keep would be worth $75,000, not including .22 rounds (which would bring the total to maybe $275,000). Also, many firearms enthusiasts are involved in 'handloading' or 'reloading', in which you assemble your own cartridges from powder, casings, primers, and bullets - its a suprisingly simple task.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making bullets expensive seems a little bit wacky. Why not just steal them if you can't afford them. Remember, we are talking about criminals here.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disgraceful that after this tragedy people are doing the blame america again to make themselves feel good.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think there is a way to prevent crazies from snapping and grabbing guns and what not. The best we can do is let people carry guns, and hope they can defend themselves if something like this ever happens to them.
Duck Tory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitly agree let's look at the Gun Control in Canada....Did it save Jane Creba? NO it did not, Did it save the four Mounties in alberta? No it did not to me Gun Control is a fantasy and a band-aid that is screwing things up in this world today.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing we have to do is change our attitudes about guns. Guns, any gun, is nothing more, and nothing less, than a tool. Do people fear hammers? No, yet an attack by a crazed hammer wielding freak will be just as deadly. A gun has no independent will. A gun is not capable of bestowing murderous rage on all who behold it. A gun, like any other tool, has its proper uses, and proper ways of storing and using it. Having a gun does not make you a fundamentalist, or anything else.

Guns should neither be idolized, nor irrationally feared. After that I think we could come up with some sane gun laws.

PS. Mainstream Canadian social mores tell us that there is something wrong with anybody who owns, wants, or even knows how to use a gun. It is this kind of irrational fear and misunderstanding that leads to the poor gun laws we currently have.
Duck Tory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
The first thing we have to do is change our attitudes about guns. Guns, any gun, is nothing more, and nothing less, than a tool. Do people fear hammers? No, yet an attack by a crazed hammer wielding freak will be just as deadly. A gun has no independent will. A gun is not capable of bestowing murderous rage on all who behold it. A gun, like any other tool, has its proper uses, and proper ways of storing and using it. Having a gun does not make you a fundamentalist, or anything else.

Guns should neither be idolized, nor irrationally feared. After that I think we could come up with some sane gun laws.

PS. Mainstream Canadian social mores tell us that there is something wrong with anybody who owns, wants, or even knows how to use a gun. It is this kind of irrational fear and misunderstanding that leads to the poor gun laws we currently have.

What people need to know and understand that Gun Control DOES NOT WORK it's as i always have said nothing more then a scheme to cloud reality......Gun Laws in the USA and Canada needs to be created to be reasonable not out of the spur of the moment K.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

New Yprk City cleaned up alot of their crime and lowered their murder rate. Anyone know how they did it?
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:

New Yprk City cleaned up alot of their crime and lowered their murder rate. Anyone know how they did it?

By cracking down on minor crime as well as major crime...
certainly not by the gun legislation that was enacted in 2006... I doubt that would explain the previous 15 years of steady decline in crime rates despite rising crime rates in the rest of the country...
:wink:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: