Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want the next Conservative leader to be?
Bernard Lord
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Maxime Bernier
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Peter McKay
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Others
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 28

triple M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Who do you want the next Conservative leader to be? Reply with quote

I was just wondering what potential leader would you support for the next leader of the CPC? Hopefully this is down the line after Harper has had his time but who are some potential names that you think would be great leaders for the Party and ultimately Great Prime Ministers?

Bernard Lord-Experience is a key factor for this candidate it is his blessing and curse however. The last time a leadership candidate came from the Provincial ranks was Smallwood I believe as for PM you would have to go back to 1896 or something like that with Thomson. So having the baggage of being in a leadership role is hard to over come. However Lord is moderately young and could potential wait in the wings as well over that times some of his baggage can dissipate.

Maxime Bernier-I've heard his name tossed around even when cabnate was sworn in people talked about him as a potential leader.

Peter McKay-Was once a leader of a Party however carries a lot of baggage from that I don't really see him as a contender though people still mention his name.

Others-please specify one, maybe there is a scenario where someone like Jean Charest re-enters federal politics I doubt it but who knows what happens in the next 5-10 years .
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggie...

:lol:

Out of that list... probably lord.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord...he'll be the next...back when people thought that Harper would never win, he was expected to be the next leader...now, I'm not so sure on how long his name will last on that list mainly because Harper is going to be in for a while...

erl
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years down the road? Monte Solberg.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick Chenney! :lol: Doh! :cry: Wrong country. :lol:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
Dick Chenney! :lol: Doh! :cry: Wrong country. :lol:

:lol:

from your lips to god's ears... oh duh wrong country again :P :D
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone, anyone, who is not going to talk about horse shit inheritance taxes, and who will give us actual conservative government; actual conservative budgets. I really can't believe some of what i am hearing on this site lately.
BlondeConservative

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this question is being tossed around, my friends and I were just talking about this. Sadly, nobody jumps out right now as leadership potential. Bernard Lord? Everytime I see him on Duffy I cringe because he comes across as too soft. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I prefer someone with a little more balls.

Peter MacKay is about as close as I can picture for the next leader, but I would prefer someone else. He has too much history, but he has a strong presence and never backs down from a fight (good ol' Scottish blood ;-). If he ever was to seriously consider throwing his hat in the ring once more he needs to get married. Noe because I think single men cannot be leaders (Makenzie King was more than capable), but more so because of his personal history. I wouldn't rule him out, that's for sure.

I wish to see a strong woman leader, but that won't be for some time. I don't want another fly in- fly out Belinda again. A woman with roots in this party, intelligence and guts. We have a few women MP's like that, but they don't have enough charisma or clout to really compete with the big boys. Until that day, I'll just keep watching and hoping.
Montgomery

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlondeConservative wrote:
Peter MacKay is about as close as I can picture for the next leader, but I would prefer someone else. He has too much history, but he has a strong presence and never backs down from a fight (good ol' Scottish blood ;-). If he ever was to seriously consider throwing his hat in the ring once more he needs to get married. Noe because I think single men cannot be leaders (Makenzie King was more than capable), but more so because of his personal history. I wouldn't rule him out, that's for sure.

Very perceptive analysis there. I personally would support Peter MacKay, and you have a point: being married would, for him, help him a great deal in eliminating his past as a potential issue. Having met him, I can see how he would be a very good leader; he has a very strong presence, can be laid back and can connect with youth, and still has a good mind for policy.

In any case, if it comes down to a leadership race, I'll be behind Peter's bid 110%.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernier seems quite serious about the free market. Maybe he would be a good choice.
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally it'd be Bernier, but he really needs to work on his English in a bad way. It's worse than Dion's. If he gets that settled then i'm on board with him.

A name everyone seems to have forgotten about is Jim Prentice, the PM's rigfht hand man. While I wouldn't be backing him, if there was a contest today he'd likely win due to all his connections.
greedkills

Reputation: 5.6Reputation: 5.6Reputation: 5.6Reputation: 5.6Reputation: 5.6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montgomery wrote:
BlondeConservative wrote:

Very perceptive analysis there. I personally would support Peter MacKay, and you have a point: being married would, for him, help him a great deal in eliminating his past as a potential issue. Having met him, I can see how he would be a very good leader; he has a very strong presence, can be laid back and can connect with youth, and still has a good mind for policy.

In any case, if it comes down to a leadership race, I'll be behind Peter's bid 110%.

Should have backed him before we put...into the position.
vancouver_conservative

Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7Reputation: 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord's a loser.
MacKay is damaged goods.
Bernier's english is worse than Dion's.

Put some Conservative names up, not just a bunch of old Pcers.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vancouver_conservative wrote:
Lord's a loser.
MacKay is damaged goods.
Bernier's english is worse than Dion's.

Put some Conservative names up, not just a bunch of old Pcers.

I'm waiting with Bated Breath for your suggestions..

I've already suggested myself :lol:
TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Blondie on Lord coming off as soft. Although politically I like him.

But Prentice could be a great leader.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: