Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Missile-Defense System Test Succeeds Reply with quote

I know the left prefers that we not be able to defend ourselves from potential threats but this is good news...

HONOLULU (AP) - The military shot down a Scud-type missile in this year's second successful test of a new technology meant to knock down ballistic missiles in their final minute of flight, the Missile Defense Agency said Friday.

A ship off Kauai fired a target missile before 9 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time Thursday. Three minutes later, soldiers with the U.S. Army's 6th Air Defense Artillery Brigade launched an interceptor missile from Kauai that destroyed the target over the Pacific, according to the agency.

The military says it already can shoot down missiles in their last stage of flight by using Patriot anti-missile batteries. But the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system would be able to protect larger areas than the Patriot system because it intercepts targets at a higher altitude, said agency spokeswoman Pam Rogers.

The new system had its first successful test last year at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. It had another successful test Jan. 27 at the Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai.

A September test at White Sands failed when the target missile failed after launch.

The Missile Defense Agency moved its testing for the Terminal High Altitude Defense system to Hawaii because the New Mexico range was not large enough for the military to do the testing it wanted, Rogers said.

The military also uses the Pacific Missile Range Facility to test Aegis technology that's designed to shoot down ballistic missiles midway through their flight.

http://apnews.myway.com/articl.....H6PO0.html
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed good news.

Proving once more why it is very important to keep a good relationship with our southern friends..
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why people think that not participating in the missle defense shield is standing up for our rights........
I do not really see an upside to our not helping while there are several downsides!
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those who don't agree with it often don't understand that it is not in fact weapons in space...

but we're used to the loony left not researching things before they speak out agains them 8)
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can anyone tell me where are the Canadians building their Navy at Now. I have been looking for a Canadian Owned Company can anyone point to one !
FascistLibertarian

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um thats very off topic for this thread :)
If your looking for that kinda info I suggest
http://www.navy.ca/
Or www.Army.Ca then go to the Navy section
create an account and ask.
I would suspect if we are building our own ships we do it at Halifax and probably someone in BC.
But i know little about the modern canadian navy.
Nicklan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the Navy is not building a single new ship with a Canadian owned company !
Nicklan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ask the Man who is taking orders. When the government are the ones giving the orders!
FascistLibertarian

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I would have to look up whatever person in the govt had that info or I could post on navy.ca and know in a very short time while doing very little work and not getting some BS PR Spin?
Nicklan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No body has that info because they are not using any Canadian Owned builders
FascistLibertarian

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well how was I supposed to know that?
if I had that info dont you think I would have just stated it here?
Nicklan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ofcourse you would have, but then I wouldn't be able to point out that we have a problem supporting the people paying the bill.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicklan wrote:
As far as I can tell the Navy is not building a single new ship with a Canadian owned company !

So. Most companies around the world buy their aircraft from either the USA or Russia. What is your point. We are a nation of 32 million. We can't be experts in everything. We build several of the components on the ships. It is foolish to think in today's world that any nation (save for the possible exception of the USA and Russian) can build their entire military domestically.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nichlan is echoing the complaints of the ship building union here in BC who say they would like to see more vessels built here on the west coast. It makes for great media clips, especially if you ignore reality.

Most of BC's shipyards are running a full capacity, some running two or three shifts... but the unions aren't happy because most of the work is repair and upgrade rather than new construction. The unions screamed when BC Ferry Corp started taking bids offshore for new ferries to maintain their fleet. The reality is there wasn't any companies who had the capacity to produce the needed vessels in a timely and cost effective manner here in BC.

Shipbuilding is a global business and different companies specialize in different types of vessels which only makes sense. Canada used to have a more significant market share for shipbuilding but in the past 40 years, many companies have either moved their new construction offshore, folded up or amalgamated with larger foreign owned multinationals. There are exceptions but they're that- exceptions.

Paul Martin's "Canada Steamship Lines" used to have the largest shipbuilding capacity on the Great Lakes before Paulie owned it but as soon as he took over, he started moving equipment but not jobs offshore, eventually folding all of CSL's shipbuilding activities.

Whether Nichlan wants to admit it or not, the Canadian Forces need new vessels NOW, not when there's space available in a Canadian shipyard, especially since we haven't built a new warship or ice breaker in decades (literally) and we would have to reinvent the wheel to do so.

-Mac
Nicklan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Nichlan is echoing the complaints of the ship building union here in BC who say they would like to see more vessels built here on the west coast. It makes for great media clips, especially if you ignore reality.

Most of BC's shipyards are running a full capacity, some running two or three shifts... but the unions aren't happy because most of the work is repair and upgrade rather than new construction. The unions screamed when BC Ferry Corp started taking bids offshore for new ferries to maintain their fleet. The reality is there wasn't any companies who had the capacity to produce the needed vessels in a timely and cost effective manner here in BC.

Shipbuilding is a global business and different companies specialize in different types of vessels which only makes sense. Canada used to have a more significant market share for shipbuilding but in the past 40 years, many companies have either moved their new construction offshore, folded up or amalgamated with larger foreign owned multinationals. There are exceptions but they're that- exceptions.

Paul Martin's "Canada Steamship Lines" used to have the largest shipbuilding capacity on the Great Lakes before Paulie owned it but as soon as he took over, he started moving equipment but not jobs offshore, eventually folding all of CSL's shipbuilding activities.

Whether Nichlan wants to admit it or not, the Canadian Forces need new vessels NOW, not when there's space available in a Canadian shipyard, especially since we haven't built a new warship or ice breaker in decades (literally) and we would have to reinvent the wheel to do so.

-Mac

I have traveled around the world looking at shipyards and steelworks and,
I agree our Forces do need new vessels now, and they can be built at Pictou right now if they want to build ships in Canada. There is lots of space there now and building war ships and ice breakers is nothing new for Pictou. We don't need to reinvent anything to build ships and marine structures.
Funny you should point to CSL, I put together funding for CSL's Davieyard in Quebec City, yet the government agent who was selling the shipyard refused to sell it to me. He claimed I could not fund the sale. Then turned around and used the same funding that I had to fund the sale to a Norway Shipping Company.
Shipbuilding is a global business for a few of the shipbuilders not many, mostly the shipyards are localy owned and operated.Most of the large builders build every thing while a few smaller builders do specialize. Which shipyards are you referring to that have joined the multy nationals ( Marys Town was bought by the Italyan Construction company Kewit)
As for BC shipyards, their are no shipyards here they have no shipbuilding capacity to speak of at all, they are mainly repair yards.The shipyard is being developed into condos and a hotel. As for the BC Ferry Corp building New Ships in Germany at one of the worlds most expensive yards. I do not know why they chose to spend 10 to 25% more for the ships there or why they would pay the addition import duty another 100 million or so when they could have used any yard in Canada including their own, at the time but refused to.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: