Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: NHL prediction time Reply with quote

So, which Canadian teams will make it to the second round? I will leave Edmonton off the list, as they are almost mathematically eliminated.

In the West, I pick Vancouver. Calgary simply does not have it.

In the East, it is Ottawa that is most likely to make the second, where they will invariably choke.

PS. Looks like I was right about Vancouver early on, and Pittsburgh too. Calgary is in possession of the very last playoff spot, although if they keep losing, which is a distinct possibility, Colorado just might over take them. Looks like they needed more than Tanguay.

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/f......php?t=614
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I will go so far as to personally guarantee that Calgary gets a first round exit this year. There is no way, not even in wild imaginings, that they go on the road and beat Nashville, Detroit, Anaheim, Dallas, Vancouver, Minnesota, or San Jose. As it stands today, Calgary has 9 road wins, 26 road losses.

There will be no red mile parties this year. They have the worst road record of all playoff bound teams, and they are in dead last in the playoff race in the West.

If you want my cup prediction, I would have to say, right this minute, that it would be Nashville. Dependent on the health of their goalies and Forsberg of course. After them, I have to go with Anaheim, then Buffalo. I will post a poll in a few more weeks when everything is settled.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not rooting for any Canadian team I am more of a Die-hard Ducks fan.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those non-hockey Canadians. I like the Sens enough, but I didn't get into the playoffs last year until I started watching Edmonton's run(starting against the sharks).

I'm more of a CFL kinda guy.
BLueWLU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that Vancouver and Ottawa have the best chances out of Canadian teams. Calgary road woes have continued all season and this will lead to their downfall. Im not even too sure if Toronto or Montreal will even make the playoffs this year either. On top of Nashville, Buffalo and Anaheim I'd watch out for Atlanta. Atlanta getting Tkachuk was a huge boost to their franchise.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all the teams in the West seem dangerous this year. San Jose, Detroit, Nashville, Anaheim, Dallas if Turco actually figured out what playoff hockey meant, Calgary if Kipper got hot, even Minnesota. The only saving grace for the East is that 7 of those teams will be knocked out before they have to play one. Probably in grueling 7 game epics.

Nashville and Anaheim seem to have the best goal tending in the West, that is why I think these are the two most likely teams to come out there. If Naslund could get hot, and their defense came to work every day, they also have the goal tending to do it.

Pittsburgh is the unknown quantity, they could bow out in 4 games or blow 3 teams out easily. I would not bet for them, or against them. Goal tending is the only thing they do not seem to have in spades.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with Lehtonen in net, Atlanta is in for an early exit. That guy is just not consistent enough.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLueWLU wrote:
I'd say that Vancouver and Ottawa have the best chances out of Canadian teams. Calgary road woes have continued all season and this will lead to their downfall. Im not even too sure if Toronto or Montreal will even make the playoffs this year either. On top of Nashville, Buffalo and Anaheim I'd watch out for Atlanta. Atlanta getting Tkachuk was a huge boost to their franchise.

I wouldn't hold your breath for ottawa to do much... they ALWAYS choke. Even though they are consistently one of the better teams, they always lose out pretty fast.

And if they play Toronto... forget about it. Being a better team doesn't seem to help them when they play against the leafs in the playoffs.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouver, Minnesota, and Colorado won tonight. Calgary lost, AGAIN, a home game. Colorado is only 6 points back of that final playoff spot. Calgary has 10 games left to play, Colorado 11. 2 of the remaining games are Col vs Cal. Depending on how the next few games go, those could become critical.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Calgary does not make it. They have 6 road games, they will lose 4 or 5 of those. One or two of the home games will also be loses, so lets say 6 loses and 4 wins (that is being generous), giving them a season total of 92. Colorado meanwhile, I see them getting 7, possibly 8 more wins, which puts them over the top. If it goes to a tie break at 92 points, I think Colorado will have the edge. The season series in ties at 3 games a piece, and I am saying right now that Colorado takes those games.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad year for Canadian teams in the NHL sums up how the playoff races are shaping up. I don't see either Alberta team making the playoffs, Montreal & Toronto are bowing out as well. Only Ottawa & Vancouver are playoff bound & niether will win Lord Stanley.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, Vancouver has a good chance. They have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch, so they will be able to stay healthy. If they win their last games against Nashville and San Jose, they will be well positioned for the playoffs. Plus, they have the best goalie in the league. Brodeur gets the props, but look at the results since Luongo started playing. In the playoffs, we will see Brodeur trailing off after playing what, 76+ regular season games, plus the all star game? NJ should really make a serious attempt to rest their goalie before the playoffs start. Meanwhile, Luongo will play his finest hockey ever.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it'd been a few months ago, I would have said Vancouver was out of it but Vigneault's program seems to be working. That, some blind luck and a red-hot goalie. Is that enough to go all the way? Hard to say...

-Mac
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Vancouver, Minnesota, and Colorado won tonight. Calgary lost, AGAIN, a home game. Colorado is only 6 points back of that final playoff spot. Calgary has 10 games left to play, Colorado 11. 2 of the remaining games are Col vs Cal. Depending on how the next few games go, those could become critical.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Calgary does not make it. They have 6 road games, they will lose 4 or 5 of those. One or two of the home games will also be loses, so lets say 6 loses and 4 wins (that is being generous), giving them a season total of 92. Colorado meanwhile, I see them getting 7, possibly 8 more wins, which puts them over the top. If it goes to a tie break at 92 points, I think Colorado will have the edge. The season series in ties at 3 games a piece, and I am saying right now that Colorado takes those games.

It will be close between Calgary and Colorado. As of March 18, they are only 4pts apart. They play each other 2 more times, with one of those games being the last day of season. I think it will come down to the last game. But whats the prize? A first round date with either Detroit or Nashville. Good luck to with that last 8th seed...

My predictions for who makes it to the second round:

West - Vancouver. They will have an easier opponent than Calgary would have (if they hold on) plus we have kickass fans...

Link

East - Ottawa. (I think a second question should be "Will Toronto or Montreal make the playoffs?") If the playoffs started today, they would be playing the Pens, but with the NJ falling behind lately, the Pens could get the third seed which would be a Sens/Devils match up. Ottawa could beat Pittsburgh, but would be in tough against NJ.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should I cheer for Canadian teams when American Teams are doing very well.
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouver will likely be the only one that will. Ottawa will be knocked out by the Penguins

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: