Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the Winnipeg Jets ever be back in the NHL?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 18

McGuire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the topic of the thread, I think it's more likely that you'll see a team in Europe first before you'll see one in Winnipeg again.
mr_cheevus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I read that website, and it sounds like a pretty good possibility. All I know is there are a lot of failing markets right now, and only so many other American markets remain untried. Vegas, Kansas City, maybe Houston, what else after that? They already know they don't want any more sunbelt franchises. There are 6, perhaps 8 franchises that are literally falling apart before our eyes. The above only covers 3. Where are the other 3 going to go?

Incidentally, looking at the new Stats Can numbers, Kitchener-Waterloo is bigger than Winnipeg. So is Quebec City. Kind of puts things in perspective doesn't it?
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many problems with Winnipeg getting the NHL back is the MTS Centre. kwlafayette talks about getting 20,000 fans in a night, but the arena only holds 15,000 for hockey. I don't think that this is enough even in today's salary cap world.

Also, Winnipeg does not have the corporate support. It has less corporate head offices now than they did when the Jets were there before.
mr_cheevus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a boo at that jetsowner.com website. It certainly opened my eyes up to the fiscal realities.

As for attendance, that is bs. The Oilers aren't the only rink in the NHL with only 16k seats, and they aren't any worse off than any other team (other than the fact that stiffs like Pronger can't keep their jetsetting wives happy there). The fact is that 15k sold out every night makes a helluva lot more money than 21k seats with only 6k bums in them, half given away as promotions.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A European NHL team absolutely, positively would not work. How would they do road games? How would they get teams to fly over for home games? It would have to be an entirely separate league, like NFL Europe is. Unless maybe they brought back the Concorde as their team jet. An even faster plane would be better.

Can you imagine a European based team going for a road game in LA? That would be 11 or 12 hours for a direct flight, not to mention the jet lag.
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The currency is worth more than both the Canadian & US dollar. That would certainly make it more affordable for one.

Quote:
As for attendance, that is bs. The Oilers aren't the only rink in the NHL with only 16k seats, and they aren't any worse off than any other team

The Oilers have been talking about the need for a new building, so I wouldn't be so sure.
mr_cheevus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been to Rexall Place? The problem isn't the number of seats. The problem is an ancient facility. Not quite as old as Boston Gardens...
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to about a dozen Moose games since they have moved to the MTS Centre. It is a very nice building with not a bad seat in the house. The problem with only 15,000 seats is that all that you can fit! A building that can hold 21,000 people, but is only attracting 9k means that there is room to grow by 12k.

Winnipeg is not growing. The population has not increased that much from when the Jets left for warmer climes. http://winnipegsun.com/News/Wi.....4-sun.html

I really like Winnipeg in any season. The people are friendly and there is a lot to do, so don't get mad when I say this, but Winnipeg people are cheap. My friends and co-workers from Winnipeg say the same thing. Peggers balk at paying $5 for parking right across from the arena. I know people who park on the other side of Broadway and walk the 6-8 blocks to avoid paying for parking. And they do this in the middle of winter. Try parking across of GM Place for less than $20.

When I ask people from Winnipeg if they think that the Jets will ever come back, the ones that say no usually say that "we are to cheap" as the reason.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For city that failed to keep the team I don't have any sympathies for that team.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck Tory wrote:
For city that failed to keep the team I don't have any sympathies for that team.

I feel sorry for the fans...

I've felt this with the Gades', the year I was planning on dropping the cash for a pair of seas. tickets, they're gone... It stinks.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: