Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of conservative are you?
freedom/liberty/small government
67%
 67%  [ 31 ]
values/traditional marriage/life
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
defense/homeland security
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: What kind of conservative are you? Reply with quote

At the CPAC convention in DC about a week ago, American conservatives were asked what kind of conservative they consider themselves.

The results were intriguing with a 50/30/18 split on
freedom/liberty/small government vs.
values/traditional marriage/life vs.
defense/homeland security
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above. In other words - a real one.
Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
All of the above. In other words - a real one.

ok, ok... well for sake of the poll... which one do you most identify with?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defence. Without that you can't have the others. You can't define your society unless you can secure it.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting way to break down the "conservative" family. I'm surprised though that they didn't include any fiscal or economic item in there unless you consider "small government".

My priorities tend to reflect the "freedom/liberty/small government" option; however, above all I tend to be what we might call a "fiscal conservative".
Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
An interesting way to break down the "conservative" family. I'm surprised though that they didn't include any fiscal or economic item in there unless you consider "small government".

My priorities tend to reflect the "freedom/liberty/small government" option; however, above all I tend to be what we might call a "fiscal conservative".

The three breakdowns were literally:
Quote:
My most important goal is to promote individual freedom by reducing the size and scope of government and its intrusion into the lives of its citizens.

vs.

My most important goal is to promote traditional values by protecting traditional marriage and protecting the life of the unborn.

vs.

My most important goal is to secure and guarantee American safety at home and abroad regardless of the cost or the size of government.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I identify more with the freedom/liberty/small government aspects of conservatism (small government meaning less taxes).

Does "values" mean Christian values? If so, I really don't identify with that part of the conservative movement at all. I really don't care who marries whom.

I don't think that this split is that far off in Canada, perhaps a bit higher on the freedom/liberty/small government side. 65/25/10.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defense and homeland security because they lead to freedom and independence
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I identify myself as being part of the first option primarily, however, the third is also a big element of my views. The second is something I only partially identify with; although I believe we need strong family values, I don't see this as the government's job; and I think with 1. and 3. satisfied, the second option will come.

I often describe myself as fiscally very conservative, socially slightly conservative.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted the freedom/liberty/small government, because that is definitely where I am the most conservative. I would have also voted for defense/homeland security, as I feel very strongly that these department should be well funded. In fact, I feel that it is sad that these are Conservative values... these should be Canadian values. Protecting our people (homeland security) is the right thing to do, as is funding our troops and giving them proper equipment to do all the foreign aid missions our populous demands of them.

I am definitely not in the values/traditional marriage/life area of conservatism. I think some of it conflicts with my liberty values, such as the marriage issue. I feel that all things offered by a government should be offered to all. Therefore, legal marriage should be for all couples that want to be married or we should abolish legal marriage. That's all I'll say on that topic, and I don't want to debate it here (although feel free to PM me), as I was just clarifying where I stand in relation to that poll.
Len

Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the term conservative is too broad to try to define with just a few choices but if I have to choose I'd say freedom/liberty/small government. However Craig makes a good point when he said you can't have any of those things without defence.

Last edited by Len on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
McGuire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option one mostly, Option 3 as well. Definately not option #2
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see myself as a values/traditional marriage/life, however I would feel better under all of the above.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedom, liberty, & small government is my number #1 value on the list. However the New England left claims that freedom, liberty, & small government are their number one values as well.
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a 3.
The CPC is the only party that will give the military the funding it needs.
I am for small govt but am probably more small l liberal than some of the people here both economically and socially.

2 does not really apply to me as I am agnostic.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: