Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: What Ann Coulter said Reply with quote

Was it really that bad?

She made a joke about how Obama has a bit of everything in him - so what.

And she used the term "faggot" - which until about 15 years ago was a pretty common insult thrown around. I'm not suggesting that her statements weren't wrong or offensive - they often are. But I think the backlash is, and I'll use a term the left likes, disproportionate.
ebolablue

Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was talking about Edwards, not Obama, who is a happily married father of 4 (IIRC) children. Of course, she has every right to say it, but it denigrates every tradition of rational discourse that anybody with a mind is trying to move politics back towards. Sure, it's "not that bad," but it hurts far more than her not saying it would, in the cause of real argumentation and respect for your opponents.

My view of Coulter is that the more attention that is payed to her, the more credible a threat she is. She's the Republican (note, I refuse to denigrate the term 'right' or 'conservative' in association with her) version of Michael Moore.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She crossed the line... and there will indeed be a disproportionate reaction from the left.

I Don't share the same opinion on her as ebola - I do find her funny sometimes; and when she doesn't have her foot in her mouth, she's often saying the things a lot of politicians can't.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprise that she is getting this reaction from the Far-left elements of America. She has every right to express herself which is why she spoke what was on her mind.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She said Clinton was a homosexual and referred to Gore as a fag. She needs to come up with some new insults.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This woman is nuts...I mean...she can call herself conservative, but someone has got to tell people that she doesn't represent the average conservative...I know people who think, because I'm a conservative, that I think like Ms. Coulter or D'Sousa or one of those other neo-conservative pundits...where are all the small c conervative pundits?...

Not to say that what she said wasn't amusing...shes more got a "laugh at her" thing going then a "laugh with her" thing...she opens her mouth, people cringe, expecting the worst, but when it's all over, everyone just points and laughs, because they know the liberals just have one more peice of ammo to use against her...

erl
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watch "The Departed" and DiCaprio called Damon a "faggot". Yeah, yeah, I know, it's entertainment right? It's OK for Hollywood hyprocrites to work it into their scripts for a little extra entertainment value. It's okay to have their heroes call people faggots. Movies don't have any impact on the people that watch them right.
biggie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough, I was thinking about how much of a real non-story this will likely become..

whereas if she had attacked a race of people, there might have been a massive uproar- attacking someone by suggesting they are gay is actually relatively socially acceptable(although PC says its not). I mean really - Even the most liberal of people I know use that word and others all the time. Only difference is they're not on tv.

I still think she should have kept it to herself... I'm not horrified by what she said, just don't think it helped the cause much.
Trooper

Reputation: 7.3Reputation: 7.3Reputation: 7.3Reputation: 7.3Reputation: 7.3Reputation: 7.3Reputation: 7.3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ask myself if this is the person I would want to represent me. Her books are entertaining and bring out valid points in a "stick it into you" manner but in person she bombs everytime. Her appearances on Fox turn me off. She should just write books and keep her mouth shut.
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trooper wrote:
I just ask myself if this is the person I would want to represent me. Her books are entertaining and bring out valid points in a "stick it into you" manner but in person she bombs everytime. Her appearances on Fox turn me off. She should just write books and keep her mouth shut.

I saw her last week on H&C i think it was, she was talking about Gore's house- and although she was hilarious and made some good points, she kept harping on about the emissions used in production. To me that is a valid point to make, but it is no smoking gun; repeating her point over and over didn't really help her position. All in all, she's a mixed bag, and i think we have to take the good with the bad on this one.

Although that foot of hers must taste pretty good.
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue of the word use is would you use it in front of a person who it applied to?
Many people will use the N word or call something gay or homosexual but will shut up the second a black person or a gay person steps in the room.
People are often offensive to try and be funny, this was not really funny at all.
She clearly meant it as an insult.
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FascistLibertarian wrote:
I think the issue of the word use is would you use it in front of a person who it applied to?

I have used that word in front of gay men before; of course, it was usually directed as a joke. Likewise, I've used the N word towards a black friend of mine(and worse to a pakistani friend of mine) - but again, in the context of friendship and a joke.. they both responded with the C word lol.

I'd never use those words to someone maliciously; then, it's rare that you'll find me insult someone without good reason anyhow.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggie - cograts on your 1000th post. you are an inspiration to us all.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle Malkin has a good take:

Quote:
Her "faggot" joke was not just a distraction from all the good that was highlighted and represented at the conference. It was the equivalent of a rhetorical fragging--an intentionally-tossed verbal grenade that exploded in her own fellow ideological soldiers' tent.

There are countless conservatives who bring their children to CPAC. It's a family-friendly event. I brought mine last year and the year before. I met several parents with their kids there this year. We expect CPAC to be a place where conservative role models speak with clarity, passion, and integrity. There are enough spewers of mindless filth, vulgarity, and hatred on TV, at the movies, and in the public schools. We don't expect our children to be exposed to that garbage at the nation's preeminent conservative gathering.

Quote:
Would you want your children hearing the word "faggot" spoken in such a casual and senseless manner? Would you like your first-grader or three-year-old running around the halls of CPAC singing "faggot, faggot, faggot?" Not me. Not anymore than I'd like my toddler singing "gook, gook, gook" or "sambo, sambo, sambo"--favored epithets hurled at conservative minorities by leftist haters groping around in their empty intellectual quivers. There were hundreds of young conservative college students in the ballroom. Would you be proud of your college-age daughter spewing such epithets in her campus debates with leftists?

With a single word, Coulter sullied the hard work of hundreds of CPAC participants and exhibitors and tarred the collective reputation of thousands of CPAC attendees. At a reception for college students held by the Young America's Foundation, I lambasted the substitution of stupid slurs for persuasion-- be it "faggot" from a conservative or "gook" from a liberal--and urged the young people there to conduct themselves at all times with dignity in their ideological battles on and off campus.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/006981.htm
Len

Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think she is an nothing but an over-rated attention seeking oaf that is an embarrassment to conservatism. This time she went too far. This is the type of immature trash talking one might expect to hear in a bar and not at a political event by a so-called journalist or columnist or whatever you want to call her.

And yeah I've heard those defending her spew nonsense like Grey’s Anatomy! Isaiah Washington! What rubbish.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: