Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebolablue

Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She doesn't like homosexuality and she used the term "faggot" to describe one. Who cares.

Edwards was married in 1979 (IIRC) and has four children....

So if I don't like black people, it's excusable to start calling them niggers? Sure, I can do it, I have the right, but people also have the right to ostracize me for being a dickhead and abusing free speech for no gain. And that's what's happening to her.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebolablue wrote:
So if I don't like black people, it's excusable to start calling them niggers? Sure, I can do it, I have the right, but people also have the right to ostracize me for being a dickhead and abusing free speech for no gain. And that's what's happening to her.

Black isn't a behaviour. Your comparison is invalid. Is there a genetic component to being gay? Maybe. But if I called Rosie O'Donnell fat I wouldn't get the same disdain that Coulter got. Why? Because society views obesity as partly a behavioural choice (and rightly so).

I know several blacks who are insulted by comparisons of the plight of homosexuals to their plight - as you have done above.
ebolablue

Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6Reputation: 9.6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularily care what's inherent or not, both situations use words that are meant to demean, to paint the victim as something less than a man. That's fine and all, it's not like we don't release ads doing the same to Dion, but the words (nigger and faggot) aren't based in merit. It's cheap, it's easy, and it accomplishes nothing. If she attacked Edwards for being an attack-dog lawyer that's super-left, then that's fine. But calling him a faggot serves nothing except to throw a cheap term out, one that's meant to demean for no reason than it's own historical meaning. And, most importantly, it lowers the entire level of discourse to that of seven year old children on the playground calling each other names that they don't understand.

(sorry, I'm a bit drunk, I know I'm being incoherent
Len

Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she chooses to attack Edwards on policy fine but to toss around terms like faggot only makes herself look like a fool. It's certainly her right to do so just as it's my right to take her to task for it. Both her and Limbaugh are liabilities. And I'm neither hyper-sensitive nor a British aristocrat although I am a borderline monarchist. :wink:
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the n word all you want, but you should know that I feel that i have a right to lay an epic beat down on anyone who uses that term. See how freedom works?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling her an idiot shows a lack of civility. Perhaps she was born an idiot.

It is really unfortunate that we can't be critical of peoples' choices and behaviours. It is really unfortunate that certain characteristics of peoples' lives are now immune from criticism (unless it is formulated in a "civil" manner) because it might hurt someone's feelings. What a spineless society we have become.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, whatever became of simply calling someone a jerk and ignoring them? Now you have to get people to agree with you, you have to organize the effort, you have to pass hate crime and thought crime legislation. I say be racists,sexist, misogynist, smelly, whatever. Just don't expect to have a lot of friends, or get a lot of attention from polite society.
jimcotton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann just makes conservatives look bad.
Prime example.... http://jimcotton.blogspot.com/.....ulter.html

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: