Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the Green Party win seats in the next election?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, most people who vote Green really don' t know or understand the implications of the policies that the party holds.

I expect that in the coming election May will attract more interest in the Green party which will actually backfire because their policies will actually be made known.

Right now most people think of the Green Party as "those nice people who want to help the environment" not "those nice people who want to increase the price of gasoline".
winchry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Really that Bad? Reply with quote

Quote:
Right now most people think of the Green Party as "those nice people who want to help the environment" not "those nice people who want to increase the price of gasoline".

Whats wrong with raising the price of gasoline? It would help to discourge people from using gas and it would help to cut C02 emissions. It would also help to reduce independence on oil. Wecould start to move toward alternate fuel sources. Plus.... once people cut their useage of gas it wouldnt raise their spending... also Alberta... there is still demand from around the world... no reason to get too excited.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, as the number one emitter of GHG in the country, it would be Ontario Power Generation that should be raising its prices. All those cars on the road don't actually rate that high.

PS. http://www.pollutionwatch.org/.....061011.jsp
Len

Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4Reputation: 9.4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Really that Bad? Reply with quote

[quote="winchry"]
Quote:

Whats wrong with raising the price of gasoline? It would help to discourge people from using gas and it would help to cut C02 emissions.

That might be true in some cases but in my case it just drives up business costs. I'm in the roofing biz and I need my trucks to haul materials/supplies to and from various job sites as well as hauling the old crap to the local landfill. But alas such is the cost of doing business. Ultimately it is the customer who pays because I simply pass the additional cost along.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats wrong with raising the price of gasoline? It would help to discourge people from using gas and it would help to cut C02 emissions. It would also help to reduce independence on oil...

Last I checked, tractors didn't run on hamster wheels, and a lot of Canadians live in rural and suburban areas where public transport simply isn't feasible - we have to drive, no matter how high the price of gas gets. All you'll do is place more financial strain on agriculture, industry, and rural people...
winchry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of raising the price of gas is that many people would begin to drive vehicles that ran on alternative fuels, such as hydrogen or electricity. The first couple of years in transition the government would collect the extra tax on gas, which would create additional revenue. This money could just simply be given back to the people with a large tax cut... Just an idea...
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchry wrote:
The advantage of raising the price of gas is that many people would begin to drive vehicles that ran on alternative fuels, such as hydrogen or electricity. The first couple of years in transition the government would collect the extra tax on gas, which would create additional revenue. This money could just simply be given back to the people with a large tax cut... Just an idea...

"Alternative fuels" are not a panacea. The reason Ballard power is dying a slow death is because everyone (including environmentalists) have come to the realization that the energy needed to produce hydrogen is almost as great as the energy saved by using it. In other words there is little net benefit. Just a few days ago a report was issued outlining the large downside of ethanol. All of these seem great when they are produced and used in small quantities but once they start to be produced in mass quantities we begin to see all of the problems they cause.

I am a fan of consumption taxes on fuel but I'm not so sure making oil from corn is going to be such a great thing. Perhaps we should tax all fuels not just gasoline.
jw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do the raise the price of gas people plan to do for us disabled? I can just barely afford to keep a car on the road right now, raise the price of gas and I'd be in REAL trouble.

I need to see my Dr. fairly often and he's 23 km away: I can barely walk 2 km, 23 is out of the question. Same for a goodly many other services I use. Hah! Even the grocery store is outside of my maximum walking distance.

What do you intend to do?

Now! Now there is a political question that the Greens NEED to answer as it effects not only us disabled, but the seniors and working poor as well.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Hesspeler blog was just talking about a study, saying to meet Kyoto, the price of electricity in Ontario would have to be multiplied by a factor of ten. Had $100 electrical bill this month? How does $1000 sound to you next month? Or is it only those evil people who don't use public transport that should have to pay?
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if May runs there, she could take it.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Peter Mac's numbers in the last election weren't great... I'd hate to see him lose, he is one of my favourite MPs. Of course, nobody better to take your concerns to government than a Cabinet Minister... except perhaps a PM

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: