Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerl7011

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicklan wrote:
Sell all the Crown Corperations just so long as they are sold to tax payers that paid for them in the first place. Canada and Canadoans first !If no Canadians want to buy them then shop them arround to anybody who does !
Sell me Via I will make it work !

You've got billions of dollars to buy it with... :lol:

erl
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can finace the sales just the same way nearly all that have been sold already where!
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas tax fallacy is not nearly the whole cost of roads is covered by the gas tax.

If Gas tax REALLY covered the cost of roads then the Feds would collect none and the province would transfer most of theirs to the municipality. Most roads are paid for by Property Tax Payers not drivers.

VIA can easily become a profitable enterprise earning money for the government with just a relatively minor investment. If they partner with the Provinces (esp. Alberta) the High Speed rail from Calgary to Edmonton would come cheap. Besides it would keep the Albertans placated.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada is not Europe. There is a reason people don't use rail transport here, and it has nothing to do with the government. If passenger rail service had anything like a snowball's chance in heck, at least one private player would have tried it by now. Instead of rail, we have small air carriers. Ever notice how many people are always trying to get into that business?
Nicklan

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Canada is not Europe. There is a reason people don't use rail transport here, and it has nothing to do with the government. If passenger rail service had anything like a snowball's chance in heck, at least one private player would have tried it by now. Instead of rail, we have small air carriers. Ever notice how many people are always trying to get into that business?

That arguement sounds a lot like the one that the VP of the CIBC bank told me when explaining to me why it was not a good idea to buy up the Steel Plants. I would like to point out that those same plants sold not much more then 3 years later for nearly 9 billion dollars. I wonder if they still think that they are not worth 500 million ?
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, start a passenger rail company then. Lets see how far you get. I think you will find that it is hard to get a train to all the population centers that people want to travel to and from. If people only wanted to get from provincial capitols to other provincial capitals, rail service might work. But how are you going to pay for all the rail to all the little places? Are you going to tell people they have to drive to some larger center first? Once people are in their cars, why not just drive the rest of the way? Cars are faster anyway, trains travel no faster than 40mph in this country.

Bottom line, if you think rail service in this country is viable, you are wrong.
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason rail service isn't viable in canada is because of a lack of investment.

You brought up small airlines. May I point out that they are MASSIVELY subsidized too?
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Bring in a Charter of Responsibilities
2. Sell the CBC to the highest bidder, and if no one wants the CBC, send all the employees their pink slips.
3. Change the CRTC so it is not so communist like.
4. Sell VIA rail
5. Get rid of the Court Challenge program…for good
6. Get rid of the Status of women program…for good
7. Get rid of TeleFilm Canada
8. Allow a system of health care, like in Germany
9. Get rid of some useless cabinet positions.
10. Reduce the size of bureaucrats
11. Stop funding the arts
12. Give a huge tax break, and the rest of the savings will go down to pay the debt.
13. Gut all the green programs, except for the ones which are used to really protect the environment.
14. Relax the charity laws in Canada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: