Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the greatest threat facing the world today?
China
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Islam
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
Liberalism
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Pandemic
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Global Warming
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: What is the greatest threat facing the world today? Reply with quote

What is the greatest threat facing the world today?
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China seems to be behind everything these days. China provides a lot of protection for Iran. China blocked the UN in Darfur. Islam is dangerous, but they seem to be largely disorganized. There is lots of infighting among the factions. China is organized behind a single purpose. They have money and are growing wealthier. No sign that any Western leader even recognizes the threat, with the possible exception of Harper. China gets my vote.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I selected liberalism.

My reason for this is that I think the threats from Islam and China will be hard to combat with growing liberalism. We're basically seeing the western world get weaker and weaker, less willing to fight for its own interests. And both of these nations see this.

That being said - were liberalism to spread into these nations, we might actually see the same take place there.

Of course, that only serves to open the door to new threats.
Maranatha07

Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6Reputation: 7.6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I add one? Try United Nations(Globalism). Unless that is what you meant by liberalism. The E.U. will be rammed down the throats of the europeans, whether they like it or not, and North America is chugging steadily towards unification. South America is pretty much a mess, though the nations that are most strong and organized are veritable communist states(brazil & Venezuela). China is a huge threat, though i did not know PM Harper had said that publicly. How could i find that?
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of global warming the destruction of the environment could be a big one. Global warming is just one part of the human impact on the earths environment.
In this case then one could argue humans are the biggest threat facing the world
A nuclear war could kill everyone.
Its tough to think what the biggest threat is because most of what is listed is not a threat that would kill all humans.
Something hitting the earth and changing the axis.
If there is a threat I do not think we will see what it is until it is to late.
Acting on the threat is even less likely.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China may be quiet now...but soon their actually going to take on superpower status...sure they won't be as frightening as the Soviets were, but they'll still be our commie enemies (them and the NDP). Oddly enough, the only way communism worked is when it wasn't really communism at all...China's really only communist in name...but I believe they will be a threat in the comming years...

Iran is not the enemy...the leaders of Iran are...why?...cuz their nuts...do I need to say more?...

erl

http://mrerl.blogspot.com
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere's only four things that i see as threats to this world and they are"Al'Qaeda,Liberalism,Iran and Islamism
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maranatha07 wrote:
Can I add one? Try United Nations(Globalism).

Fantastic point - globalism in the sense of one-planet, one-government is a bad idea at the moment. Come a time when the world is at peace, and such a government would oversee aspects such as space exploration, this might be a possibility. But certainly not in the foreseable future.
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerl7011 wrote:
China may be quiet now...but soon their actually going to take on superpower status...sure they won't be as frightening as the Soviets were, but they'll still be our commie enemies (them and the NDP). Oddly enough, the only way communism worked is when it wasn't really communism at all...China's really only communist in name...but I believe they will be a threat in the comming years...

Iran is not the enemy...the leaders of Iran are...why?...cuz their nuts...do I need to say more?...

erl

http://mrerl.blogspot.com

I agree with a lot of your assertions here - although I must say that China is like Iran in the sense that the people themselves are not a threat(likely much less of a threat than Iran). Remember as well that the United States played a key role in liberating China from the Japanese in WW2 - and among citizenry there is a keen understanding of this.

I think China is a sleeping dog, but not a rabid one. We're seeing a lot of tension due to their massive growth - if handled diplomatically, but with a strong stance on human rights issues, China could end up being a great friend and ally to the west.

I must say, they have come a long way from 20 years ago. they still have a way to go, but with continued pressure I'm certain they will get there.

M.A.D. still applies with China, so I think we can be confident that we won't be seeing them initiating hostilities in the next couple decades at least.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short term, 10 years or so, Islamic terrorism is a major threat, globally, slightly less of a threat to specifically Canada though I believe. (for example, I'd be more worried if I lived in Israel ).

China is a threat in the medium term, say the next 40 years or so. I'm of the opinion that China is nearing its peak strength over the next 20 years and after that will face a decline.
For example, they have no pension system to support the millions of retirees coming down the pipe, they're health care sucks, the one-child policy is gonna bite them in the ass and t90% of the country is still of third-word status.

Whether this decline in strength makes China more or less dangerous is the question however.

In the long term, next century, the greatest threat to Canada is our economy/system of government. Our manufacturing industry can't compete with emerging economies. Increasingly, the "information industy" will be outsourced to other countries. Eventually even out professional industy (Doctors, Lawyers, accountants) will be outsoursed. Some businesses are already outsourcing their accounting departments; how far along are we from where medical services will be cheaper and of just a high quality if we fly to another country? People are already begining to do this to avoid wait times.

Our whole system (including our constitution) isn't able to adapt and is based on political compromise, not economic efficiency. For example, how can we compete with the EU economic block, when we don't even have free trade and free flow of labour among our own provinces?

Our country is falling behind on the free trade issue. The USA has negotiated dozens of agreements in the last decade while we've only managed one; that's a lot of eggs in one basket.

The problem however is that our system makes free trade agreements politically unsellable domestically. For example, we could have a free trade agreement tomorrow with Australia and NZ, however, to do that we'd have to scrap our system of agricultural supply management. Any party which did that would be tossed out.

Our own inwardness, is preventing us from getting advancing. We'd rather get $1 today than $10 tomorrow which is what our whole system politically and economically is based on. I could go on and on, but basically, the Canadian system is plagued by self-defeating policies.

I predict that there will massive pressure on the whole Canadian system to reform, or else it will break. If the provinces decide that they would fare better economically outside of confederation, we will be in big trouble. For example, if political pressures crack down on the Alberta economy, would Albertans decide that they would be better off to leave confederation and join in an economic partnership with the USA? If Alberta goes, how long would it be before BC went with them? What would that do to the equalization system?

We have to adapt to survive.

The survival/reformation of the Canadian federation is my choice for #1 threat in the coming century.
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch your flanks, America!
FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and an Ice Age would be alot worse than Global Warming.
Still humans could farm in Africa and probabaly a few other places.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China still has Communism, it exists, it's adored by Liberals, & they dream of China overtaking American democracy. So in my opinion Liberalism runs a close second to China.

Quote:
Oh and an Ice Age would be alot worse than Global Warming.
Still humans could farm in Africa and probabaly a few other places.

[sarcasm]Bring it on, the maritimes could use a snow storm every two days.[/sarcasm]
McGuire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberalism is the greater danger, b/c it enables Islamofascism. It would never have become as strong as it has were it not for useful idiots on the left, enabling these people.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how far along are we from where medical services will be cheaper and of just a high quality if we fly to another country?

That day is already here ... health care in India is fast, affordable, and of high quality. The most expensive part is flying there.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: