Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long will it take Liberal senate to pass stupid Kyoto bill?
7 days
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
1 month
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
3 months
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
10 months
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
24 hours
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: How long will it take the senate to pass Kyoto bill? Reply with quote

It took over 250 days for them to pass legislation about accountability. They still haven't passed crime legislation which passed the house over 200 days ago. How much do you want to bet that the COMPLETELY unrealistic and absurd Kyoto legislation will make it through in less than 30 days?
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing by the end of the week. Those corrupt Liberal senators will do everything possible to push this bill through asap. This is all staged to put Harper into a no-win situation. I'm not liking what I'm seeing happen one little bit.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the pundits seem to be thinking around 30 days... perhaps that accounts for conservative members trying to stall it? not sure, but we'll see i guess.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the last remants of the liberal regime are doing everything they can to prevent Harper from doing the right thing. If i was PM i would get all of these Corrupts libs out of the Senate. But first it would not be easy since so many are blind by the cult of personality the Libs have created.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not going to pass it. It is basically a confidence motion, and Dion is in no shape to fight an election anytime soon. The worst possible scenario for Dion? Hoisted by his own petard. Senate rushes the bill through, Harper goes to the GG, the Liberals win a minority, and then where exactly does that leave Dion? As the guy who has to shut down every coal fired plant, auto plant, and oil project in the country. I don't think there would ever be another Liberal government in this country after the entire population freezes in the dark for the last month of winter.

Harper's strategy should be to call Buzz in, and tell him that all CAW members are about to be laid off because of this bill. Or didn't you know that manufacturing is ahead of the oil sands in GHG? Call in Mcguinty and tell him that all the lights in Ontario have to go off. Go on TV and say that because of this bill, gasoline will be going to $15 per liter (carbon tax). Then give the option of unemployment and recession, or a CPC majority that will repeal the bill.

I really don't know what the Liberals were thinking with this. It totally bones them as soon as the true cost becomes known. Therefore, we must assume that the true cost will never become known. The Senate will keep it alive as long as it can, then quietly let it die, with the help of the MSM. They are betting that the only thing that will be remembered is that Harper defied the will pf Parliament.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.canadafreepress.com.....021507.htm
Quote:
Ottawa, Canada, February 14, 2007 --The Natural Resources Stewardship Project (NRSP) calls on the Senate of Canada to block passage of Bill C-288, "An Act to ensure Canada meets its global climate change obligations under the Kyoto Protocol."

Despite having passed third reading in the House of Commons today, neither the Commons, nor its Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development have properly evaluated the foundation of the bill -- the underlying science of global climate change. The Senate must now do what the Commons have steadfastly refused to do, namely hold open, unbiased and comprehensive hearings into the state of modern climate science before considering passage of a bill that, if implemented, would result in serious economic dislocation for Canada for little or no environmental benefit.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hearing Internet rumors that the Senate will not fast track this bill. Anyone found a news release saying the same?

PS. Checked the Senate order paper, nothing on 288 in the Senate today.

Last edited by kwlafayette on Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
.... I don't think there would ever be another Liberal government in this country after the entire population freezes in the dark for the last month of winter.

See that's where you're wrong. The Liberals have it all figured out. With Global Warming and all, Canadian winters will be like living in Palm Springs. No one freezes or has to travel south for the winter. Beauty, eh! :roll:

But seriously, I think this may be a huge mistake by all the opposition parties. It reminds me of the story of Chesty Puller, the famous Marine Corps officer. During the Korean War he was told that they had been cutoff by the enemy and were surrounded. "Perfect!", he said. "They've got us right where we want them. Now we can shoot in all directions!".
All the opposition parties have put themselves on one side of the enviro equation, leaving the CPC on the other. While saving the environment is one of those apple pie and motherhood issues right now (because of MSM reporting bias), the reality of the costs have never been thoroughly explained to Canadians. The costs will be huge and the Oppostion in its entirety, has now locked themselves into a position of supporting what would surely be the most costly option of all, meeting Kyoto commitments as originally agreed to.
Now the CPC is in the position of having "fear" on its side. Canadians fear of huge costs (taxes), economic ruin (job losses, cuts to gov't services), the Liberal record of huge, wasteful expenditures and getting no results, etc. Cold, hard reality sets in pretty fast when your financial future is at stake. Suddenly meeting Kyoto won't seem like such a great idea.
The 4 opposition parties will be fighting with each other (for support from those few who don't care about the possible costs), with their own impossible plans to meet Kyoto. Meanwhile, the only party offering a "reasonable" environment plan will be the CPC.
The CPC has had a huge election opportunity given to them on a golden platter, if they play it right. When will the Senate pass this bill? The sooner the better. Bring it on!
Glenn
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me the Senate will not be passing this bill. All the Liberals wanted was a hit on the CPC in the Commons. They don't actually want this bill to become law. I have already checked, and it is not on the Senate agenda for today.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.parl.gc.ca/informat.....tive-e.htm

Quote:
Third reading
Final approval of the bill. Further amendments can be considered at this stage.

If the bill originated in the Senate, the bill is sent to the House of Commons, which will examine it through a similar three-reading process. If the bill originated in the House of Commons and was not amended in the Senate, it is now ready for Royal Assent. If the bill originated in the Commons and was amended in the Senate, a message about the amendments is sent to the Commons to ask for their agreement. The Commons and the Senate must agree on the exact contents of a bill before Royal Assent can be granted, making it law.

So basically, it sounds like this bill can exist forever without actually ever being signed into law. Just what the Liberals want, and imaginary weapon. Good for moving public opinion (they think), but it will never become law.

What this is, is a game of chicken. The only way to win a game of chicken is to be the one who does not blink. The CPC must be the ones who fast track this one in the Senate. I suspect though that the story will receive no further coverage, as teh Liberals already have what they want out of it.
Blue Meanie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

So basically, it sounds like this bill can exist forever without actually ever being signed into law. Just what the Liberals want, and imaginary weapon. Good for moving public opinion (they think), but it will never become law.

. I suspect though that the story will receive no further coverage, as teh Liberals already have what they want out of it.

Then the Liberals have just cut off their nose to spite their face. As long as it remains in the Senate, unpassed, it goes from being their "imaginary" weapon to a very "real" weapon for the CPC (and the other opposition parties, since the Liberals control the Senate) to bash them with. They would be shown to be the hypocrites they are; all talk on Kyoto and no action, same as their past 10 years in office; not passing the bill could be construed as admitting Kyoto can't be done, or they have no feasible plan to do it. The list goes on.
Glenn
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if the MSM actually covered that angle of the story. What are the chances of that happening?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised the Senate did not hold a special midnight session in order to pass this right away????
Blue Meanie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually saw the CBC starting to question the possilble costs of meeting Kyoto on the National with Mansbridge last night. Remember, MSM thrives on scaring the public, like with "destroying the environment". That's probably getting old now though. So "destroying the economy" could be the next great scare. :lol:
Glenn
Blue Meanie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I am surprised the Senate did not hold a special midnight session in order to pass this right away????

Naah. The Libs were too busy buying rounds at the local boozer, celebrating their "win".
Glenn

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: