Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long will it take Liberal senate to pass stupid Kyoto bill?
7 days
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
1 month
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
3 months
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
10 months
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
24 hours
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Liberals waded cautiously into the electoral sabre-rattling when asked if they might table a non-confidence motion, depending on what happens to the bill.

"We're not there yet. We'll see," said the Liberals' deputy leader, Michael Ignatieff. "It's altogether possible. I'm not ruling anything out."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Sc.....38-cp.html

The first hints at possible back pedaling? I am becoming more certain by the minute that this bill is allowed to purposefully die on the Senate order paper.
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Seems to me the Senate will not be passing this bill. All the Liberals wanted was a hit on the CPC in the Commons. They don't actually want this bill to become law. I have already checked, and it is not on the Senate agenda for today.

The Senate will likely pass C-288 along with the Senate-term-limits Bill (see the Lib Senate leader's remarks in today's G&M story by Bill Curry). My guess is that by end-Feb/early March, both Bills will have passed.

The opposition parties would probably then load some sort of a plan into C-30 and try to force Harper's hand by implicitly requiring budget expenditures. It is all about framing the next election.

Last edited by cbasu on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can sit out there for a long time being kicked around in the Senate. Ultimately, I think it could be the trigger for the next election, depending on how events unfold and how the Liberals want to play it. Past a certain point in time if left unpassed, it will be used to club the Liberals everytime they start to chirp about doing something on the environment. The longer that goes on, the more credibility and the sillier they will look (Is that possible?)
Glenn
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbasu, can we get a link for that story you mention? Or a quote of the relevant part at least?
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Bill is nothing more then a ficitious faulty bill of lies that is doom to fail. It's nothing more then diverting money to nations that throw caution to the wind and screw the world as they please.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the budget will probably be introduced and defeated before this bill becomes law.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
I believe that the budget will probably be introduced and defeated before this bill becomes law.

Hope so this Bill that the Lib passed is nothing more then a smokescreen and a excuse.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the bill has passed first reading in the Senate. No surprise there, since first reading is simply photocopying and passing around with no debate. So it is now in the second reading stage. It is on the order paper, it could be discussed today. We will see what happens. There is nothing in the media, so I don't think anything is happening this week.
PeterLT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stupid bill will go through in record speed. I almost wish the Lieberals win a minority government next time so I could watch them try to meet the targets in their own bill. It would bring yet another election and the Lieberals would go the way of the Progressive Conservatives. :twisted: *poof* Gone...

Peter
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLT wrote:
This stupid bill will go through in record speed. I almost wish the Lieberals win a minority government next time so I could watch them try to meet the targets in their own bill. It would bring yet another election and the Lieberals would go the way of the Progressive Conservatives. :twisted: *poof* Gone...

Peter

Yeah, but Canadians seem not to mind the same when Liberals spend away our money on failed ventures and cost overruns..

:x
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clear that the 24 hour people were wrong. Next up, the 7 day people. This bill, as a matter of necessity, must be slow through the Senate. Everyone knows this bill will trigger an election when passed. The Liberals, after seeing the failure of their recent strategy, do not want an election right now. There will be an uneventful second reading, it will not be covered by the MSM, and it will go to committee for a few to several months. However long the Liberals figure they need.

At this point it is actually more likely that the CPC senators push on this one. Then how would it look if Liberal Senators actually stalled their own legislation?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best Coyne columns, one of the most insightful, I have seen this year.
Quote:
If the public wants some appalling piece of right-wing savagery performed, like deficit reduction, they call in a left-of-centre party to do it. If, conversely, the public needs some item on the loony-left agenda seen to, like changing the weather, well then only the conservatives will do. Whatís going on? The voters have an aversion to fanaticism. They may wish you to do some hard, unpleasant thing for them, but they donít want to see you enjoy it. They want whoever they assign the task to be constantly testing the brakes. They want to feel they are dragging their leaders in the direction they want to go, rather than the contrary.
http://andrewcoyne.com/columns/2007/02/outfoxing-dion-on-his-own-green-turf.php

I really think he is on to something here. This theory, applied retroactively, predicts a lot of behavior that I found mystifying for a long time.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. No Senate movement on C-288.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the Senate order paper.

Quote:
February 20, 2007óResuming debate on the motion of the Honourable Senator Mitchell, seconded by the Honourable Senator Trenholme Counsell, for the second reading of Bill C-288, An Act to ensure Canada meets its global climate change obligations under the Kyoto Protocol.ó(Honourable Senator Tkachuk)
http://www.parl.gc.ca/39/1/parlbus/chambus/senate/orderpaper/ord-e.htm

If there is no movement today, Friday and Monday are travel days, that will be next week before there is any possibility of this thing moving forward. After second reading, it will go to the Senate committees.

Senator Tkachuk is a Conservative member, appointed by Mulroney.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No movement on the bill, and there is nothing on the Senate order paper for today. I think at this point it is safe to conclude that this thing is not on the fast track. 27 Feb is the earliest that it could pass second reading at this point, then committee, then third reading, then if the Senate makes any changes, it will go back to Commons until both houses agree.

Going to be at least a month, probably more.

PS. Anyone notice how this story has completely disappeared from the MSM? The Liberals have what they want out of this, and we will never hear about it again.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: