Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

George Bush is
an inspiration.
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
a politician.
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
not a true conservative.
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 26

Azimech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Views on George Bush Reply with quote

The posters on this board have struck me as quite a reasonable and intelligent bunch. Hence I am curious as to your view of the U.S. President. As someone who considers himself right-of-centre, I feel an emotional need to defend the President against attacks from the likes of Michael Moore or Taliban Jack. Simultaneously though I sense that the man I am defending does not merit such protection, that he has violated or ignored the principles he claims to hold dear.

The North American political scene is divisive and partisan. Loyalty is central; the other side is an object for parody and ridicule. Those who hold genuine and sincere beliefs become lost in such a setting. You encounter an intense pressure to take sides, but also a suspicion that frauds are captaining your team.

Thus if I were honest I would say that I object to the current President. I object not out of disagreement with his stated values, but from the gulf between the words given and the policies pursued. On matters like government spending, immigration and personal freedom, there is too large a gap between principle and policy.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not the worst president the Americans ever elected, neither is he the best. I would put him the adequate category, there is nothing that really stands out as exemplary during his tenure. In terms of errors, there is Iraq; he should have gone into Iran or Syria. He solved no intractable world problems. He let the UN continue to be a force for bad; like many presidents before him.
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that Bush has been short of adequate, but not quite a dismal failure.

He screwed up on Iraq right from the very beginning. And subsequently, invasion plans for Iran and Syria were scrapped. The world will bear the consequence of this mistake in what will be a nuclear Iran.

Domestically, he failed to shrink government or even halt its growth, and instead he accelerated its growth.

Bush doesn’t inspire much confidence. Not like he used to. And he has only himself to blame.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say president Bush is not the best President the United States has had. American foreign policy has failed, & 12 million illegals could be exempt from deportation. Americans can not afford health care anymore, though I'm not for public health care I hate to admit that both Canada & the United States need to look towards the French model of paying now & getting tax returns from medi-care.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heresey! there are only two health care models; evil American model, or saintly good Canadian model. How dare you even suggest that there is a different way!
McGuire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joahob wrote:
I would say that Bush has been short of adequate, but not quite a dismal failure.

He screwed up on Iraq right from the very beginning. And subsequently, invasion plans for Iran and Syria were scrapped. The world will bear the consequence of this mistake in what will be a nuclear Iran.

Domestically, he failed to shrink government or even halt its growth, and instead he accelerated its growth.

Bush doesn’t inspire much confidence. Not like he used to. And he has only himself to blame.

I dunno about failure, but disappointment certainly. While the reckless spending wasn't his fault, he didn't do anything to stop the Congressional GOP. In effect, he was the driver of the get away car for the Republicans in Congress who robbed the bank.

On top of that his failure to rectify the illegal immigration problem, his incompetant handling of Iraq & his tolerance of corruption in his party has caused me to become quite disillusioned.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not disillusioned about Bush; he is not my leader, and I never voted for him. I only comment as an interested outside observer.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked him very much in his first term and had high hopes early on, however I've been let down somewhat.

I really liked his proposals for "compassionate conservatism" and for an "ownership society" but he never went anywhere with those despite having the huge advantage of the GOP controlling both houses.
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that Bush has been an interesting president. I've gone from aplauding his decision on Iraq, to being rather disapointed with almost everything else he's done.

I still stand by the war in Iraq, purely because was right to get that tyrant out of power(and we may yet find some WMDs in the sands, whose to say). That being said, I also see the downside of the war - not the loss of life, not the costs - but the effect of turning Iraq into a religious killing grounds. Iraq had been relatively secular until the war - forced on the people by their leader. Religious nuts weren't allowed there, because Saddam feared them.

His relatively poor relationship with Iran was beneficial. Iran and Syria would have been much better targets - and even better, finishing Afghanistan first. However, the decision was made, and it must be completed properly.

He is kind of a big-government guy, and I haven't seen any wow policies from him.
Certainly not the worst President - but not the best either.
Duck Tory

Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3Reputation: 40.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My views on Bush has not changed abit since he took office an decide to help Iraqi's and Afgan's get back on their feet with the American Armed Forces. However his American Foreign policy has been Massively UNDERMINED,ATTACKED and deliberatly allowed to fail by Social-Democrats in the Democrat Regime,Liberal Bias Media Hollywood Elites and the Far-left Antiwar Apeasers. Personally if Bush took a strong stance and say "THIS IS HOW WE SHOULD DO THIS" instead of allowing it to build up I am postive his Foreign Policy would have succeed. First you must look at the Leaked Memos,the supposed sourced within the Media and those with Vanity in their vains.

Bush made mistakes of course he is after all HUMAN like all of us. But the one mistake he made was invite previous Seceraties of State in early 2006 to discuss the Iraq Front, It was imho a mistake to invite Eagleburger and others who perhaps gave him bad advice cause they do not want to see him Succeed where THEY HAD FAILED. And Let's not forget the Former President's Clinton and Carter their mini-tirades are nothing more then rambles of too men who failed Miserable and full of Vanity that they are willing to destroy AMERICA'S future and sarcfice the Israeli's future for America. You see Carter and Clinton don't want George W Bush to succeed as much as the former S.O.S's

He also cave in to the Social Democrat Regime's goal of forcing Rumsfeld to resign and not allowing him to pursit Bolton as UN Ambassdor. To me i feel that He should have AT LEAST STAND UP TO THEM and TELL THEM Retreat is NOT A OPTION. Love him or HATE HIM all i can say to my american Friends is I RESPECT HIM as a person who with Conviction is doing the right thing.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm generally close to how everyone else feels - he's had his good and bad points. He seemed on his way to Reagan-hood, but has stumbled a lot in his second term. People often get the impression that I'm a hard-core supporter, because I don't agree that he is the antichrist incarnate. It's not that I'm so impressed with him, but rather that I'm unimpressed by the rationality of his worst critics.

I don't view Iraq as the massive blunder others do, though I think it might have been better to wait another year or two, and to have committed more troops from the beginning. I second the comments of others on his seeming abandonment of the immigration and economic issues.

Certainly, I'm happier with 6 years of Bush that what could have been 4 of Gore.
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
It's not that I'm so impressed with him, but rather that I'm unimpressed by the rationality of his worst critics.

Certainly, I'm happier with 6 years of Bush that what could have been 4 of Gore.

Couldn't agree more on both of these points. I often find people have described me as a "bush lover" simply because I defend the man to people who are certain he is a brutal monster. I've gone from arguing with those people to ignoring them 8)
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American politics are sick. They are so partisan in their attacks that the Dems and Rep don't seem to trust each other in any circumstances.

As far as what type of Pres Bush has been I see him as not being a deep thinker. He has been controlled by Rove Rumsfeld and Cheney. These guys were told they needed 300,000 troops in Iraq. They thought they could defeat Sadaam with 75000. They did but after the defeat they did not have enough troops to control the infastructure of the country.This led to the destruction of the Iraqi economy due to wide spread looting, breakdown of the transportation corridors and civil unrest.
The civil unrest was due to the U.S. laying off the entire Iraqi police force and Army(who were forced to be members of Sadaams Bathe party) after they "won the war". Can you imagine the caos this caused. The U.S wonders why the Iraqi's hate them. Every business in Bagdad was looted because there were no police. Unemployment increased to 40% overnight.

There was also the little matter of the army and police force keeping there weapons and becoming the restitance. What a joke this war has been

Bush will go down as one of the worst Presidents in history.

Last edited by mrsocko on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Duck Tory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be surprise if the Social-Democrat Regime makes a scapegoat out of Bush.
Duck Tory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
American politics are sick. They are so partisan in their attacks that the Dems and Rep don't seem to trust each other in any circumstances.

As far as what type of Pres Bush has been I see him as not being a deep thinker. He has been controlled by Rove Rumsfeld and Cheney. These guys were told they needed 300,000 troops in Iraq. They thought they could defeat Sadaam with 75000. They did but after the defeat they did not have enough troops to control the infastructure of the country.This led to the destruction of the Iraqi economy due to wide spread looting, breakdown of the transportation corridors and civil unrest.
The civil unrest was due to the U.S. laying off the entire Iraqi police force and Army(who were forced to be members of Sadaams Bathe party) after they "won the war". Can you imagine the caos this caused. The U.S wonders why the Iraqi's hate them. Every business in Bagdad was looted because there were no police. Unemployment increased to 40% overnight.

There was also the little matter of the army and police force keeping there weapons and becoming the restitance. What a joke this war has been

Bush will go down as one of the worse Presidents in history.

Worst President's I don't think so.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

Jump to: